Linux on SGI O2 ? - Questions

This is a discussion on Linux on SGI O2 ? - Questions ; I've been given a Silicon Graphics O2 but its operating system (Irix) is no longer supported, so I thought I'd put Linux on it. I'm a linux rookie. Is this possible, recommended? Where/how to start? Are there linux apps equivalent ...

  1. Linux on SGI O2 ?

    I've been given a Silicon Graphics O2 but its operating system (Irix) is no
    longer supported, so I thought I'd put Linux on it. I'm a linux rookie. Is
    this possible, recommended? Where/how to start? Are there linux apps
    equivalent to Word, Excel, etc.?

    Please respond directly to hbeilan@mindspring.com

    Thanks in advance.

    Hal

  2. Re: Linux on SGI O2 ?

    EZ wrote:

    > Please respond directly to hbeilan@mindspring.com

    .... sorry, you ask here, get it here:
    http://www.total-knowledge.com/progs/mips/o2-howto
    ..
    The universe is all a spin-off of the Big Bang.

  3. Re: Linux on SGI O2 ?

    EZ wrote:
    > I've been given a Silicon Graphics O2 but its operating system (Irix) is no
    > longer supported, so I thought I'd put Linux on it. I'm a linux rookie. Is
    > this possible, recommended? Where/how to start? Are there linux apps
    > equivalent to Word, Excel, etc.?
    >
    > Please respond directly to hbeilan@mindspring.com
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Hal

    I generally do not respond directly since it's contrary to the purpose
    of newsgroups.

    Irix is most certainly supported on the O2. I believe even the earliest
    O2's came with version 6.5 by default and most critical updates can be
    had for free off SGI's site. Other updates are part of their
    SupportFolio and require payment.

    If you didn't get media with the machine, then one of two things is
    happening. The owner that gave you the machine didn't get media with
    the machine or they kept/lost the media.

    Regarding the O2 desktop, I still like Irix although the applications
    available to it for experimentation are not all that exciting.
    Depending upon the previous life of the machine, there could be some
    interesting tools remaining, but the second you wipe the OS they are
    gone because SGI's software is nodelocked to that particular processor.
    So you might want dig around for a few hours and see what's there
    because once you wipe the hard drive on this machine, all of that is gone.

    To load Linux, you'll need to find a MIPS supported distribution.
    Gentoo has a MIPS distribution and it works niceley because I've loaded
    it onto a SGI Indy. Debian and Red Hat have been known to have
    MIPS versions and more can probably be found at www.linux-mips.org

    If you get bored with it and want to unload that O2, I might be
    interested. My email is "lists" at the above domain.

+ Reply to Thread