Weird problem with RH9 - Questions

This is a discussion on Weird problem with RH9 - Questions ; Hello everyone, I have the following weird problem on my machine. I do hope that someone is able to explain why my computer's behaviour is so bad. I got a new 80 Gb hard disk. I partition it in four ...

  1. Weird problem with RH9

    Hello everyone,
    I have the following weird problem on my machine. I do hope that someone is
    able to explain why my computer's behaviour is so bad.

    I got a new 80 Gb hard disk. I partition it in four partitions: 3 primary
    and 1 extended.

    1) FIRST Installation
    In the /dev/hda1 partition, I install windows.
    In the /dev/hda2 partition, I install linux. In particular I install redhat
    9.
    /dev/hda3 is my swap partition.

    I format /dev/hda2 checking for bad blocks and no bad blocks are found.
    The installation completes with success and everything is ok.
    The boot loader is on the first sector of /dev/hda2

    2) SECOND Installation
    Same HD, same partitions. I decide to reinstall linux, redhat 9.
    I format again /dev/hda2, with the check for bad blocks.
    The format tool, once it has reached the 99%, tells me it has detected bad
    blocks and reboots the machine.
    BUT, AFTER THE REBOOT, the previous linux installation is still on
    /dev/hda2, nothing happened during formatting, /dev/hda2 is UNCHANGED. I can
    use the previous installation without any problem.

    3) I go to windows and ask for /dev/hda2 being formatted with the NTFS
    filesystem. Once formatted, I execute scandisk with surface check. No bad
    blocks are found.

    4) THIRD Installation
    I repeat the linux installation. Always RH9, always on /dev/hda2. The
    installer is asked for a file system created with bad block check. This time
    NO BAD BLOCKS are found and installation completes.

    ---
    It seems that the installer fails when it finds on the partition a previous
    linux installation. If the partition has no filesystems OR if the partition
    has a DOS one, the installer is able to create an ext filesystem without
    detecting any bad block.

    I hope I explained the problem well enough to let someone answer me.
    I searched the internet for similar problems and I did not find anything.

  2. Re: Weird problem with RH9

    Franco Alberto Cardillo wrote:

    > I format again /dev/hda2, with the check for bad blocks.
    > The format tool, once it has reached the 99%, tells me it has detected bad
    > blocks and reboots the machine.
    > BUT, AFTER THE REBOOT, the previous linux installation is still on
    > /dev/hda2, nothing happened during formatting, /dev/hda2 is UNCHANGED. I can
    > use the previous installation without any problem.

    .... it's running a block-check, not a format [yet],
    which is why the previous install is still there.

    > 3) I go to windows and ask for /dev/hda2 being formatted with the NTFS
    > filesystem. Once formatted, I execute scandisk with surface check. No bad
    > blocks are found.

    .... i dont trust their tools - their margin of error
    is too laxed.

    so, if it installed fine, what's the issue? if you're
    running, go for it

    BTW, all hard drives have errors on them. the tolerance
    level of the software checking it is the bottle-neck
    ..

    He who laughs has not yet heard the bad news.
    -- Bertolt Brecht

+ Reply to Thread