Re: 56K @ 44K - Questions

This is a discussion on Re: 56K @ 44K - Questions ; On 2004-03-31, Donald Duquet wrote: > I dial in at 44K + or -, which is reasonable, but why is the file ^^^ kilobits > download speed only 5K + or -? ^^ kilobytes? There is a factor of 8 ...

  1. Re: 56K @ 44K

    On 2004-03-31, Donald Duquet wrote:
    > I dial in at 44K + or -, which is reasonable, but why is the file

    ^^^ kilobits
    > download speed only 5K + or -?

    ^^ kilobytes?

    There is a factor of 8 between bits and bytes, and the actual transfer of
    useful data may impose a little overhead besides.

    --
    Paul Kimoto
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text. Any images,

  2. Re: 56K @ 44K

    Paul Kimoto wrote:

    > On 2004-03-31, Donald Duquet wrote:
    >> I dial in at 44K + or -, which is reasonable, but why is the file

    > ^^^ kilobits
    >> download speed only 5K + or -?

    > ^^ kilobytes?
    >
    > There is a factor of 8 between bits and bytes, and the actual transfer of
    > useful data may impose a little overhead besides.

    OK, thanks. Rated at 56K, connected at 44K, 8 X 5.1K = 40.8K download
    speed.

+ Reply to Thread