Dan Shackelford wrote in message news:...
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:30:28 -0800, B. Gandhi wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having trouble with installation of Linux on a machine. I'd
> > appreciate if anyone could please help me out.
> >
> > I have a computer with Win XP installed on it.It has a HDD of 80 gigs. The
> > HDD has a single partition (the C: drive of XP). I want to create a
> > separate 10 gigs partition and install Linux in it. I tried to use demo
> > version of Partition Magic 8.0 for re-partitioning my HDD. Now the problem
> > is, I resize my 80 gigs partition to 70 gigs and create one more partition
> > with 10 gigs. Then I apply the changes in PM, but it does nothing and
> > reverts back to a single partition of 80 gigs. It shows a (*) with the
> > operation of resizing drive C: and tells that "Boot mode required to apply
> > changes". I tried rebooting the machine after applying all changes but in
> > vein, still there is only one partition. Is the problem because of "demo
> > version" of PM or am I missing something? Please help me out!!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bhavin.

> Most of today's linux distros will resize the WIndows partition for you
> and install linux on the new space that was freed up. What you need to do
> before an install of linux is 1) delete your tmp files and 2) defrag the
> drive. Then stick in your linux CD, reboot and you will get some questions
> like what language, type of keyboard, and then linux should offer to
> shrink the Windows partition and create a partition for itself. That way
> you will get a dual boot system, which I believe is what you are seeking.
>
> One caveat. Linux should mount a Windows, NTFS system, but it probably
> will be read only, Linux ususlly cannot write to a NTFS drive.
>
> Hope this helps. What distro of linux are you going to try?

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to install RedHat Linux 9.
I tried using the automatic partition option that comes up
during installation, but it displayed some errors indicating
that it could not resize the windows partition, eventhough
i've used only 11 gigs from the available 80 gigs. I've not
yet tried the option of defragmenting the disk in Windows
and then installing RH Linux, but surely gonna try it now.
Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bhavin.