making mozilla fully functional? - Questions

This is a discussion on making mozilla fully functional? - Questions ; What must I do to make www.lordoftherings.net fully functional using mozilla under redhat 9? Much of it doesn't currently work, and it sound like chipmunks. Thank you....

  1. making mozilla fully functional?

    What must I do to make www.lordoftherings.net fully functional using
    mozilla under redhat 9?

    Much of it doesn't currently work, and it sound like chipmunks.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: making mozilla fully functional?

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:07:32 -0800, David Burner wrote:

    > What must I do to make www.lordoftherings.net fully functional using
    > mozilla under redhat 9?
    >
    > Much of it doesn't currently work, and it sound like chipmunks.
    >
    > Thank you.

    You dont give much information to work from. WHAT doesnt work? WHAT
    partially works? WHAT sounds like chipmunks? Do you get any error
    messages? Are you using broadband or dialup? Things like that.

    Speculative guess on my part. You are likely missing some audio visual
    plugins like mplayer, realplayer, flash and shockwave. Esp the last two,
    if I had to guess.

    Hope this helps.

  3. Re: making mozilla fully functional?

    Dan Shackelford wrote in message news:...
    > On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:07:32 -0800, David Burner wrote:
    >
    > > What must I do to make www.lordoftherings.net fully functional using
    > > mozilla under redhat 9?
    > >
    > > Much of it doesn't currently work, and it sound like chipmunks.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    > You dont give much information to work from. WHAT doesnt work? WHAT
    > partially works? WHAT sounds like chipmunks? Do you get any error
    > messages? Are you using broadband or dialup? Things like that.
    >
    > Speculative guess on my part. You are likely missing some audio visual
    > plugins like mplayer, realplayer, flash and shockwave. Esp the last two,
    > if I had to guess.

    > Hope this helps.

    Here is some more information: I am running Mozilla version 1.2.1
    under
    Linux version 2.4.20-6.

    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ is populated thusly:

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Mar 6 21:30
    flashplayer.xpt -> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/flashplayer.xpt
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Mar 6 21:30
    libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 67 Feb 18 15:54
    libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
    /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 196756 Mar 2 22:50
    mplayerplug-in.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22176 Jan 25 2003 plugger.so

    More of the site works now, but all of the audio still sounds like
    chipmunks. Mozilla also crashes when I try to view any of the
    quicktime
    (downloaded or over the web).

    Thanks.

    P.S. Can installing mplayer screw up xine?

  4. Re: making mozilla fully functional?

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 11:25:27 -0800, David Burner wrote:

    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22176 Jan 25 2003 plugger.so

    This plugin sometimes causes problems, you might want to temporary remove
    the plugger.so file as a test (hint mv to a different location)

    or better yet (IMHO) remove from the system, as root; rpm -e plugger

    FYI: mozilla 1.6 RPM's available here;

    http://ftp34.newaol.com/pub/mozilla....redhat/9/i386/

    > More of the site works now, but all of the audio still sounds like
    > chipmunks. Mozilla also crashes when I try to view any of the quicktime
    > (downloaded or over the web).

    Try taking the time and bring your entire system current. If you have a
    fast Internet connection try using apt/synaptic or yum for this;

    https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh9-errata.html

    http://shrike.freshrpms.net/

    > P.S. Can installing mplayer screw up xine?

    Not that I'm aware of.

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author