moving files from one machine to another - Questions

This is a discussion on moving files from one machine to another - Questions ; I'm a Linux newbie with a question on transferring directories and files from one machine to another. Please forgive my ignorance. I have an older redhat 7 Linux machine with a tiny 3.8gb hard drive and a newer Linux redhat ...

  1. moving files from one machine to another

    I'm a Linux newbie with a question on transferring directories and files
    from one machine to another. Please forgive my ignorance.

    I have an older redhat 7 Linux machine with a tiny 3.8gb hard drive and a
    newer Linux redhat 9 machine with 160gb of space. Both are on the same home
    network. What is the best way to move directories and files from the older
    machine to the newer?

    I considered using SAMBA as it's already set-up on the older machine.
    However, I have not set it up yet on the newer machine. I suppose FTP would
    would work, but there must be a simple set of commands for mounting and
    moving directories and files from one machine to another. I searched the
    linux books and the web but am confused.

    I do appreciate any help. Thank you. -- H.A.

  2. Re: moving files from one machine to another

    In comp.os.linux.questions, homarus americanus uttered the immortal words:

    > I considered using SAMBA as it's already set-up on the older machine.
    > However, I have not set it up yet on the newer machine. I suppose FTP
    > would would work, but there must be a simple set of commands for mounting
    > and moving directories and files from one machine to another. I searched
    > the linux books and the web but am confused.

    I use NFS. It allows you to mount a remote FS locally. FTP is probably
    easier to setup and as it's name suggests it's for transferring files. If
    both machines have SSH installed you can use scp.

    --
    Andy.

  3. Re: moving files from one machine to another

    In comp.os.linux.questions, homarus americanus uttered the immortal words:

    > I considered using SAMBA as it's already set-up on the older machine.
    > However, I have not set it up yet on the newer machine. I suppose FTP
    > would would work, but there must be a simple set of commands for mounting
    > and moving directories and files from one machine to another. I searched
    > the linux books and the web but am confused.

    I use NFS. It allows you to mount a remote FS locally. FTP is probably
    easier to setup and as it's name suggests it's for transferring files. If
    both machines have SSH installed you can use scp.

    --
    Andy.

  4. Re: moving files from one machine to another

    In comp.os.linux.questions, homarus americanus uttered the immortal words:

    > I considered using SAMBA as it's already set-up on the older machine.
    > However, I have not set it up yet on the newer machine. I suppose FTP
    > would would work, but there must be a simple set of commands for mounting
    > and moving directories and files from one machine to another. I searched
    > the linux books and the web but am confused.

    I use NFS. It allows you to mount a remote FS locally. FTP is probably
    easier to setup and as it's name suggests it's for transferring files. If
    both machines have SSH installed you can use scp.

    --
    Andy.

  5. Re: moving files from one machine to another

    homarus americanus wrote:

    > I considered using SAMBA as it's already set-up on the older machine.

    .... that's for Linux/windows sharing, between running
    machines. you can use NFS to mount the shares between
    [running] Linux boxes, then use the standard 'cp'/etc
    commands to copy files.

    "Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice
    to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it."

+ Reply to Thread