uninstall and PATH question - Questions

This is a discussion on uninstall and PATH question - Questions ; Hi all, When I installed RH 8, an rpm for httpd-2.0.40 was installed with it. Then I installed httpd-2.0.43 by compiling the souce code. After that I tried to uninstall the initial rpm but it was not allowed due to ...

  1. uninstall and PATH question

    Hi all,

    When I installed RH 8, an rpm for httpd-2.0.40 was installed with it.
    Then I installed httpd-2.0.43 by compiling the souce code. After that
    I tried to uninstall the initial rpm but it was not allowed due to
    dependencies it had with other programs. Is it possible to change the
    dependency links from initial installation to my new installation so
    that I can get rid of httpd-2.0.40? Remember- my initial installation
    is rpm-based and the new installation is not rpm-based.

    Another problem is about the directories on the PATH. "apachectl"
    binary from httpd-2.0.40 is already on the PATH, which is /usr/sbin.
    My new installation of httpd-2.0.43 is on /usr/local/httpd-2.0.43.
    Hence, the new "apachectl" is on /usr/local/httpd-2.0.43/bin. I put
    this on the PATH environment variable too. Now when I type
    "apachectl", which one gets executed? Is it the first one on the PATH?
    Yeah, this is just a trivial question that's confusing me...

    Thanks for ur time!
    Ben

  2. Re: uninstall and PATH question

    On 5 Mar 2004 05:05:36 -0800, Ben wrote:

    > When I installed RH 8, an rpm for httpd-2.0.40 was installed with it.
    > Then I installed httpd-2.0.43 by compiling the souce code. After that
    > I tried to uninstall the initial rpm but it was not allowed due to
    > dependencies it had with other programs. Is it possible to change the
    > dependency links from initial installation to my new installation so
    > that I can get rid of httpd-2.0.40? Remember- my initial installation
    > is rpm-based and the new installation is not rpm-based.

    This doesn't work with all tarballs, but you could
    try compiling the source using rpm, then simply use the
    upgrade option.

    # rpm -ta httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz

    will create both source and binary rpms. Check the
    man page in case you want only one. Then, do

    # rpm -Uvh /httpd-2.0.43.rpm

    where will be something like
    /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386, unless you used the
    --target option, which will have put it
    in the directory instead of i386.

    'man rpm' for more options.

    --