Mozilla News and authentification - Questions

This is a discussion on Mozilla News and authentification - Questions ; For the love of moses, can anybody explain why mozilla news keeps asking me for a password and username when I have already saved the thing. The worst part the password box pops whenever it feels like it. I will ...

  1. Mozilla News and authentification

    For the love of moses, can anybody explain why mozilla news keeps asking
    me for a password and username when I have already saved the thing. The
    worst part the password box pops whenever it feels like it. I will be
    reading a message and the password box pops up. I assume it times out
    or something. Any ideas.

    Mozilla 1.3

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030313

    Mandrake 9.1 - 500mhz dell

  2. Re: Mozilla News and authentification

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:17:55 -0500, Berlin Brown wrote:

    > For the love of moses, can anybody explain why mozilla news keeps asking
    > me for a password and username when I have already saved the thing. The
    > worst part the password box pops whenever it feels like it. I will be
    > reading a message and the password box pops up. I assume it times out or
    > something. Any ideas.
    >

    > Mozilla 1.3
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030313
    >
    > Mandrake 9.1 - 500mhz dell

    You wont like the answer but that is how Mozilla News is ... it wont
    remember the password and every time the server wants authentication
    because you have been online for a while ... you have to give it manually
    via the popup. See:
    http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3...2/7/0/9436758/
    for example. You are probably much better off trying Knode or Pan which
    dont have this problem.

  3. Re: Mozilla News and authentification

    Berlin Brown wrote:

    > Any*ideas.

    .... try thunderbird ... or knode ... or sylpheed-claws ...
    ..
    Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it
    can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic ...

  4. Re: Mozilla News and authentification

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 04:44:22 +0000, mjt wrote:

    > Berlin Brown wrote:
    >
    >> Any*ideas.

    > ... try thunderbird ... or knode ... or sylpheed-claws ...
    > .

    Just an FYI: Thunderbird, based off of Mozilla Mail, has the same
    problem. It is a known bug and is listed in the release notes with no
    solution or timeframe for correction.

    I use Pan for news and Mozilla for my e-mail. Works like a charm.

    You also might consider using KNode as it is extremely well written. The
    only reason I use Pan over KNode is for multi-segmented binary posts. Pan
    handles them extraordinarily well.

    -Matthew Hatch

+ Reply to Thread