system activity (disk access) - Questions

This is a discussion on system activity (disk access) - Questions ; Hi! How can I know what my system is doing? I mean even when my computer is idle every 10 or 20 secs I have some harddisk activity, gkrellm shows it as well but I would like to know "who ...

  1. system activity (disk access)

    Hi!

    How can I know what my system is doing? I mean even when my computer
    is idle every 10 or 20 secs I have some harddisk activity, gkrellm
    shows it as well but I would like to know "who is doing that" (and
    what). I do not have any strange soft or so, just basic installation
    of Slack, but AFAIR I had the same going on in Debian. Is it the
    kernel swapping? But why, if there is no activity at all. It's not
    cron or something, since it happens very often. So is it possible to
    sniff the system so as to see what is going on there? That would be a
    nice possibility also for checking what some programs do (strace is
    not so convenient). I remember such a program for AmigaOS - DosTrace.
    It was replacing system functions so as to be able to log all the
    activity, so you could see exactly what is going on in the system and
    then showing dynamically updated list of all the actions - something
    like you can see in ethereal.

    Thanks!
    marti

  2. Re: system activity (disk access)

    marrcinus@yahoo.com (marti) wrote in message news:<76a2c725.0402270328.460eb9df@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi!
    >
    > How can I know what my system is doing? I mean even when my computer
    > is idle every 10 or 20 secs I have some harddisk activity, gkrellm
    > shows it as well but I would like to know "who is doing that" (and
    > what). I do not have any strange soft or so, just basic installation
    > of Slack, but AFAIR I had the same going on in Debian. Is it the
    > kernel swapping? But why, if there is no activity at all. It's not
    > cron or something, since it happens very often. So is it possible to
    > sniff the system so as to see what is going on there? That would be a
    > nice possibility also for checking what some programs do (strace is
    > not so convenient). I remember such a program for AmigaOS - DosTrace.
    > It was replacing system functions so as to be able to log all the
    > activity, so you could see exactly what is going on in the system and
    > then showing dynamically updated list of all the actions - something
    > like you can see in ethereal.
    >

    > Thanks!
    > marti

    Not sure what DoSTrace did, but on Slack you'll have thing like "top"
    which is pretty good at showing whats going on. It will dynamically
    show, for example, which processes are using the most memory or cpu
    time. If you're running KDE and haven't changed any key bindings,
    ctrl-esc will bring up something similar.

    Then you've got things like "lsof" which will give you a list of open
    files.

    tcpdump will give you stuff like ethereal, or heck, you could just use
    ethereal Netstat will also give you some info.

    Theres also a whole bunch of stuff in /proc you can access directly.

    Guess it depends what ya wanna know, why ya wanna know it & when

+ Reply to Thread