My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue? - Questions

This is a discussion on My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue? - Questions ; Because my computer kept crashing after setting up a dual-boot XP-SUSE Linux machine (each on a separate hard drive), I decided to remove the Linux boot loader and restore my XP master boot record. This I did, and it all ...

  1. My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    Because my computer kept crashing after setting up a dual-boot XP-SUSE Linux
    machine (each on a separate hard drive), I decided to remove the Linux boot
    loader and restore my XP master boot record. This I did, and it all worked.

    But when I rebooted, I got the little Plug and Play notification that
    Windows likes to throw up. It said that I'd just installed new hardware (!)
    and had to reboot. I did so, and everything seems fine.

    I now remember that I got the same message when I first installed the Linux
    boot loader. This suggests that something about it doesn't sit at all well
    with XP, causing some problem with Plug and Play. Anybody know what could
    be causing this?

    And how can I boot into Linux on my secondary hard drive without using a
    boot loader?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    "Hiawatha Bray" said in news:xNe%b.6403$ax2.251@nwrdny03.gnilink.net:

    > And how can I boot into Linux on my secondary hard drive without
    > using a boot loader?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Unless you have a BIOS that lets you designate to have it read the bootstrap
    code in the MBR on *other* than the first physical hard drive detected (I
    haven't seen a BIOS with that option), you have to use a boot manager. The
    BIOS will read the MBR only on the first physical hard drive (disk0) and run
    the bootstrap code from there. The standard bootstrap program just reads
    the partition table (at the end of the MBR) to determine which is the active
    primary partition, but a boot manager that replaces the bootstrap program
    can look elsewhere, like the partition table in the MBR on another drive.

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

  3. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    That are a lot of groups to crosspost to.
    pick just one or two next time.

    > Because my computer kept crashing after setting up a dual-boot XP-SUSE
    > Linux machine (each on a separate hard drive), I decided to remove the
    > Linux boot
    > loader and restore my XP master boot record. This I did, and it all
    > worked.

    Xp does not crash because you have installed lilo or grub in the MBR.

    > But when I rebooted, I got the little Plug and Play notification that
    > Windows likes to throw up. It said that I'd just installed new hardware
    > (!)
    > and had to reboot. I did so, and everything seems fine.

    Hmm. If something was wrong before I doubt it to be fixed now.
    What loader did you install and where did you install it? (ie. show the
    configuration file for that loader)

    > I now remember that I got the same message when I first installed the
    > Linux boot loader. This suggests that something about it doesn't sit at
    > all well with XP, causing some problem with Plug and Play. Anybody know
    > what could be causing this?

    Weird. What new hardware did it claim to find?
    Can you show the partitiontables from both HDD's run fdisk -l from linux and
    post the result here.

    > And how can I boot into Linux on my secondary hard drive without using a
    > boot loader?

    You can't. But the loader could just as well be on a floppy disk.
    If you use lilo, just change the boot=/dev/hda line to boot=/dev/fd0
    and run lilo, with a floppy inserted. (preferably create a backup floppy as
    well)

    Eric

  4. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    > That are a lot of groups to crosspost to.
    > pick just one or two next time.

    Damnit. knode automatically made the first on the group list a follow-up.
    I don't even follow that one. Post the fdisk output also to col.setup
    If yo want me to see it

    Eric

  5. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:

    > And how can I boot into Linux on my secondary hard drive without using a
    > boot loader?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Just boot with the Suse install CD choose "boot installed system" when Suse is
    up and running rerun the bootloader configuration in yast and put it on a
    floppy instead of the mbr, now when you want Suse justpush the floppy in and
    reboot, or you could edit the XP bootloader and put an entry in there for
    Suse aftyer putting the bootloader on the second drive, this is a bit more
    complicated but there is plenty of documentation on the net on how to set
    this up, just do a search at www.google.com/linux to find out how.

    HTH

    --
    Mark
    Iligitimi Non Carborundum!

  6. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > Because my computer kept crashing after setting up a dual-boot XP-SUSE Linux
    > machine (each on a separate hard drive), I decided to remove the Linux boot
    > loader and restore my XP master boot record. This I did, and it all worked.
    >
    > But when I rebooted, I got the little Plug and Play notification that
    > Windows likes to throw up. It said that I'd just installed new hardware (!)
    > and had to reboot. I did so, and everything seems fine.
    >
    > I now remember that I got the same message when I first installed the Linux
    > boot loader. This suggests that something about it doesn't sit at all well
    > with XP, causing some problem with Plug and Play. Anybody know what could
    > be causing this?
    >
    > And how can I boot into Linux on my secondary hard drive without using a
    > boot loader?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Hi,

    as well as some other people here I also would advise you to use a
    floppy for your bootloader.
    I have Suse 9.0 and XP installed and don't have any problems booting either.

    I left XP in the MBR and installed GRUB on a floppy disk.

    Good luck.

    David

  7. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    Several things:

    First, what's wrong with crossposting? I've never understood why some
    object to it. It's a highly efficient use of server space, far more
    sensible than posting the same message in multiple groups.

    Second, I did restore my XP MBR, and so far, I have had no further random
    crashes. I too can't understand why that is, but...it is.

    Finally, I'm DYING to use a floppy for booting purposes. But SUSE has so
    far REFUSED to make me one. I boot into Linux, go into YAST, insert a
    floppy and tell it to make me a boot disk. After several minutes of
    waiting, during which it says progress is being made, up pops a message
    saying that the attempt has failed. I can see no reason why. Near as I can
    tell, there's nothing wrong with the floppies. But I could be wrong. I'll
    try another disk and let you know...thanks.

    "David Y." wrote in message
    > Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > > Because my computer kept crashing after setting up a dual-boot XP-SUSE

    Linux
    > > machine (each on a separate hard drive), I decided to remove the Linux

    boot
    > > loader and restore my XP master boot record. This I did, and it all

    worked.

    > > But when I rebooted, I got the little Plug and Play notification that
    > > Windows likes to throw up. It said that I'd just installed new hardware

    (!)
    > > and had to reboot. I did so, and everything seems fine.
    > >
    > > I now remember that I got the same message when I first installed the

    Linux
    > > boot loader. This suggests that something about it doesn't sit at all

    well
    > > with XP, causing some problem with Plug and Play. Anybody know what

    could
    > > be causing this?
    > >
    > > And how can I boot into Linux on my secondary hard drive without using a
    > > boot loader?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > as well as some other people here I also would advise you to use a
    > floppy for your bootloader.
    > I have Suse 9.0 and XP installed and don't have any problems booting

    either.

    > I left XP in the MBR and installed GRUB on a floppy disk.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > David

  8. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:53:38 GMT
    "Hiawatha Bray" wrote:

    > Several things:
    >
    > First, what's wrong with crossposting? I've never understood why some
    > object to it. It's a highly efficient use of server space, far more
    > sensible than posting the same message in multiple groups.

    A good article on crossposting:

    Kevin Nathan (Montana, USA)
    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.

    Linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon
    6:24pm up 32 days 21:45, 6 users, load average: 0.44, 0.26, 0.20

  9. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    My point exactly; crossposting uses the limited storage of Usenet more
    efficiently. I've never understood the objections to it.

    "Kevin Nathan" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:53:38 GMT
    > "Hiawatha Bray" wrote:
    >
    > > Several things:
    > >
    > > First, what's wrong with crossposting? I've never understood why some
    > > object to it. It's a highly efficient use of server space, far more
    > > sensible than posting the same message in multiple groups.
    > >

    > A good article on crossposting:
    >
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html
    >

    > --
    > Kevin Nathan (Montana, USA)
    > Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    > The command line is the front line.
    >
    > Linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon
    > 6:24pm up 32 days 21:45, 6 users, load average: 0.44, 0.26, 0.20

  10. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    Okay...It must have been three consecutive bad floppies, because this time,
    my attempt to create a boot floppy worked without a hitch. Hallelujah!

    Now...another question. How do I tell the floppy, or the SUSE splash
    screen, that when I boot from the floppy, it's supposed to start the OS on
    the second hard drive--Linux--instead of the OS on /dev/hda/, which of
    course is XP?

    Thanks.

    "Kevin Nathan" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:53:38 GMT
    > "Hiawatha Bray" wrote:
    >
    > > Several things:
    > >
    > > First, what's wrong with crossposting? I've never understood why some
    > > object to it. It's a highly efficient use of server space, far more
    > > sensible than posting the same message in multiple groups.
    > >

    > A good article on crossposting:
    >
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html
    >

    > --
    > Kevin Nathan (Montana, USA)
    > Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    > The command line is the front line.
    >
    > Linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon
    > 6:24pm up 32 days 21:45, 6 users, load average: 0.44, 0.26, 0.20

  11. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:

    > Okay...It must have been three consecutive bad floppies, because this time,
    > my attempt to create a boot floppy worked without a hitch. Hallelujah!
    >
    > Now...another question. How do I tell the floppy, or the SUSE splash
    > screen, that when I boot from the floppy, it's supposed to start the OS on
    > the second hard drive--Linux--instead of the OS on /dev/hda/, which of
    > course is XP?

    Have you created a boot floppy or did you put grub on the floppy?

    There are two options in Yast>System, one is a "boot floppy" the other is
    "Boot Configuration", you need the latter, this will reinstall Grub just tell
    it to install grub onto a floppy instead of the hard-drive, the floppy will
    then act exactly like the boot sector in the mbr giving you the options you
    normally see at start.

    --
    Mark
    Iligitimi Non Carborundum!
    Twixt hill and high water, N.Wales, UK

  12. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    [****ed-up quoting and top posting corrected]

    In message , Hiawatha Bray
    wrote

    >"Kevin Nathan" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:53:38 GMT
    >> "Hiawatha Bray" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Several things:
    >> >
    >> > First, what's wrong with crossposting? I've never understood why some
    >> > object to it. It's a highly efficient use of server space, far more
    >> > sensible than posting the same message in multiple groups.
    >> >

    >> A good article on crossposting:
    >>
    >> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

    >My point exactly; crossposting uses the limited storage of Usenet more
    >efficiently. I've never understood the objections to it.

    If you had read all of the article, you would have seen the section
    entitled "Why not post to all relevant groups?" where you would have
    read the following warning:

    the odds are that the more knowledgeable the reader, the more he
    regards sending a message to many groups as an indication of
    cluelessness. This means that you would get responses mostly
    from less knowledgeable readers

    It is not the cross-posting per se to which most knowledgeable people
    object, but rather the scatter gun approach. IMNSHO, you would do well
    to ask yourself which of your 5 chosen newsgroups is the most likely to
    contain people who can answer your question. Out of your choice:

    alt.os.linux.suse
    comp.os.linux.help
    comp.os.linux.questions
    comp.os.linux.setup
    and microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    I would suggest that your query about little things popping up in
    Windoze XP is relevant to the last group, but not the first 4. That your
    query about why XP crashes when it detects anything other than its own
    MBR would probably be of interest in the first and last groups (and just
    possibly in the third as well) and that your question about how to boot
    without a boot loader might be relevant in groups 1 and either 2 or 3

    There are other groups which would probably have been more relevant to
    certain of your questions yet you chose to ignore them, so what did
    dictate your choice of newsgroups?

    I have set follow-ups to alt.os.linux.suse where I read this thread -
    not so much because I think the thread is on topic here, but because
    IMHO it is not particularly relevant to the other groups
    --
    Robert Talking to yourself - first sign of madness
    Answering yourself back - first sign of schizophrenia

  13. Re: My SUSE Linux-XP problem--a clue?

    On Sun, 26 Feb 3904 23:53:38, "Hiawatha Bray"
    wrote:

    > I'm DYING to use a floppy for booting purposes. But SUSE has so
    > far REFUSED to make me one.

    I had same problem trying to make a backup boot floppy.

    SuSe Support suggested the following:
    - Log in as root
    - Mount the 1st SuSE install CD.
    - Put a blank floppy in drive
    - The boot floppy image is at '/media/cdrom/boot/bootdisk'.
    - Use command: dd if=/media/cdrom/boot/bootdisk of=/dev/fd0
    (Explanation in /media/cdrom/disks/README)

    But I haven't tried it yet!

    Maurice Batey (Retired in Hampshire, UK)

    http://www.maurice.eurobell.co.uk

    (Change "no.spam" to "." in E-mail address.)

+ Reply to Thread