Dual-Boot XP-Linux machine keeps crashing - Questions

This is a discussion on Dual-Boot XP-Linux machine keeps crashing - Questions ; I've just set up SUSE 9 and Win XP SP1 on two separate hard drives. The Windows drive has a LILO boot loader on it so I can dual-boot. But ever since setting things up, my Windows installation will simply ...

  1. Dual-Boot XP-Linux machine keeps crashing

    I've just set up SUSE 9 and Win XP SP1 on two separate hard drives. The
    Windows drive has a LILO boot loader on it so I can dual-boot.

    But ever since setting things up, my Windows installation will simply crash
    for no apparent reason. A blue screen with a bunch of text appears, but
    vanishes so quickly there's no time to read it. Then it reboots into
    Windows, and everything's fine again. I have to remember to save my work
    every minute or so for fear I might lose something.

    I suspect the SUSE installation caused the problem but I can't be sure. I
    can't see why it would have that effect. How can I begin to diagnose this
    curious malady? Thanks!

  2. Re: Dual-Boot XP-Linux machine keeps crashing

    "Hiawatha Bray" wrote in message
    > I've just set up SUSE 9 and Win XP SP1 on two separate hard drives. The
    > Windows drive has a LILO boot loader on it so I can dual-boot.
    >
    > But ever since setting things up, my Windows installation will simply

    crash
    > for no apparent reason. A blue screen with a bunch of text appears, but
    > vanishes so quickly there's no time to read it. Then it reboots into
    > Windows, and everything's fine again. I have to remember to save my work
    > every minute or so for fear I might lose something.
    >
    > I suspect the SUSE installation caused the problem but I can't be sure. I
    > can't see why it would have that effect. How can I begin to diagnose this
    > curious malady? Thanks!

    When you add SuSe to a Windows box, you have to be careful
    NOT to touch the c: partition in any way. I recently rebuilt a
    training room of 14 pcs to dual boot 2K and SuSe, and I created
    the empty non-formated partitions first with disk administrator,
    then laid down the suse OS onto these partitions. I chose to
    use win2k as the boot manager and added a line to boot.ini using
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...t/bootpart.htm

    Hope this helps-

    Bill

  3. Re: Dual-Boot XP-Linux machine keeps crashing

    Why would this cause bluescreen crashes? And now that I've done it, what
    can I do to fix the problem? Thanks?

    "William Hymen" wrote in message
    news:%6T_b.19145$W74.17263@newsread1.news.atl.eart hlink.net...
    > "Hiawatha Bray" wrote in message
    > > I've just set up SUSE 9 and Win XP SP1 on two separate hard drives. The
    > > Windows drive has a LILO boot loader on it so I can dual-boot.
    > >
    > > But ever since setting things up, my Windows installation will simply

    > crash
    > > for no apparent reason. A blue screen with a bunch of text appears, but
    > > vanishes so quickly there's no time to read it. Then it reboots into
    > > Windows, and everything's fine again. I have to remember to save my

    work
    > > every minute or so for fear I might lose something.
    > >
    > > I suspect the SUSE installation caused the problem but I can't be sure.

    > > can't see why it would have that effect. How can I begin to diagnose

    this
    > > curious malady? Thanks!

    > When you add SuSe to a Windows box, you have to be careful
    > NOT to touch the c: partition in any way. I recently rebuilt a
    > training room of 14 pcs to dual boot 2K and SuSe, and I created
    > the empty non-formated partitions first with disk administrator,
    > then laid down the suse OS onto these partitions. I chose to
    > use win2k as the boot manager and added a line to boot.ini using
    > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...t/bootpart.htm
    >
    > Hope this helps-
    >
    > Bill

  4. Re: Dual-Boot XP-Linux machine keeps crashing

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:51:13 +0000, Hiawatha Bray wrote:

    > Why would this cause bluescreen crashes? And now that I've done it, what
    > can I do to fix the problem? Thanks?
    >

    > "William Hymen" wrote in message
    > news:%6T_b.19145$W74.17263@newsread1.news.atl.eart hlink.net...
    >> "Hiawatha Bray" wrote in message
    >> > I've just set up SUSE 9 and Win XP SP1 on two separate hard drives. The
    >> > Windows drive has a LILO boot loader on it so I can dual-boot.
    >> >
    >> > But ever since setting things up, my Windows installation will simply

    >> crash
    >> > for no apparent reason. A blue screen with a bunch of text appears, but
    >> > vanishes so quickly there's no time to read it. Then it reboots into
    >> > Windows, and everything's fine again. I have to remember to save my

    > work
    >> > every minute or so for fear I might lose something.
    >> >
    >> > I suspect the SUSE installation caused the problem but I can't be sure.

    >> > can't see why it would have that effect. How can I begin to diagnose

    > this
    >> > curious malady? Thanks!

    >> When you add SuSe to a Windows box, you have to be careful
    >> NOT to touch the c: partition in any way. I recently rebuilt a
    >> training room of 14 pcs to dual boot 2K and SuSe, and I created
    >> the empty non-formated partitions first with disk administrator,
    >> then laid down the suse OS onto these partitions. I chose to
    >> use win2k as the boot manager and added a line to boot.ini using
    >> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...t/bootpart.htm
    >>
    >> Hope this helps-
    >>
    >> Bill

    You should be able to go into WinXP computer properties (right mouse on My
    Computer). You can set it to
    not reboot automatically after crash. That will give you a chance to read
    the error. Then look it up on MS's TechNet.

    Also the system and application logs on WinXp should show something.

    I would also try to do a check disk on your C: drive from XP that will fix
    and disk errors. Maybe a driver got currupted.

    chkdsk C: /F

    - jai

  5. Re: Dual-Boot XP-Linux machine keeps crashing

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:23:35 +0000, Hiawatha Bray wrote:

    > I've just set up SUSE 9 and Win XP SP1 on two separate hard drives. The
    > Windows drive has a LILO boot loader on it so I can dual-boot.
    >
    > But ever since setting things up, my Windows installation will simply crash
    > for no apparent reason. A blue screen with a bunch of text appears, but
    > vanishes so quickly there's no time to read it. Then it reboots into
    > Windows, and everything's fine again. I have to remember to save my work
    > every minute or so for fear I might lose something.
    >
    > I suspect the SUSE installation caused the problem but I can't be sure. I
    > can't see why it would have that effect. How can I begin to diagnose this
    > curious malady? Thanks!

    Caveat: I am not running Windows XP.

    Does XP crash after the second restart into XP or is it stable from there?
    Your statement, "I have to remember to save my work every minute or so for
    fear I might lose something." implies more instability than you may be
    experiencing. Please, clarify.

    If it is stable after an initial crash after booting SuSe, then it
    might be a plug-and-play issue.

    --
    Makes you feel so, sort of, insignificant, doesn't it?
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0085959/quotes

  6. Re: Dual-Boot XP-Linux machine keeps crashing

    I get the same problem with xp the way i get around it, is this.
    I install win 98 then install suse then i do a upgrade to win xp.
    Works every time, but be warned if you first install suse with lilo
    then reinstall with grub i found xp will crash hope this helps!!
    But if you reinstall with the same boot loader you will get no problems
    or you could install the boot loader to floppy disk.

  7. Re: Dual-Boot XP-Linux machine keeps crashing

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:

    > I've just set up SUSE 9 and Win XP SP1 on two separate hard drives. The
    > Windows drive has a LILO boot loader on it so I can dual-boot.
    >
    > But ever since setting things up, my Windows installation will simply crash
    > for no apparent reason. A blue screen with a bunch of text appears, but
    > vanishes so quickly there's no time to read it. Then it reboots into
    > Windows, and everything's fine again. I have to remember to save my work
    > every minute or so for fear I might lose something.
    >
    > I suspect the SUSE installation caused the problem but I can't be sure. I
    > can't see why it would have that effect. How can I begin to diagnose this
    > curious malady? Thanks!

    If you added a hard drive for SuSe it is possible that the extra power demand
    could make your power supply marginal. Also, if a second drive was added,
    jumpers on both drives may need to be set. Try unplugging the second drive
    and see if windows works normally. If it does, either jumpers or power
    is probably the answer.

+ Reply to Thread