grub boot problem with RH 9 K2.6 - Questions

This is a discussion on grub boot problem with RH 9 K2.6 - Questions ; If anyone has some insight, that would be great -- this is something simple. I am just trying to get the 2.6 kernel up and running on my RH9 system. It compiles fine and I add the bzImage to my ...

  1. grub boot problem with RH 9 K2.6

    If anyone has some insight, that would be great -- this is something
    simple.

    I am just trying to get the 2.6 kernel up and running on my RH9
    system. It compiles fine and I add the bzImage to my /boot directory.
    I then modify grub.conf in what I thought was the correct manner.
    Obviously not though, because the kernel panics and asks for a valid
    device name. Here is my grub file.

    Input?
    Christian

    Christian
    Bongiorno

    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
    file
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd0,1)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=2
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-19.9)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-19.9 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-19.9.img
    title test
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=LABEL=/
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

  2. Re: grub boot problem with RH 9 K2.6

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:39:48 -0800, Christian Bongiorno wrote:

    > If anyone has some insight, that would be great -- this is something
    > simple.
    >
    > I am just trying to get the 2.6 kernel up and running on my RH9 system.
    > It compiles fine and I add the bzImage to my /boot directory. I then
    > modify grub.conf in what I thought was the correct manner. Obviously not
    > though, because the kernel panics and asks for a valid device name. Here
    > is my grub file.
    >
    > Input?
    > Christian
    >

    > Christian
    > Bongiorno

    > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    > #
    > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
    > file
    > # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that # all
    > kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg. # root (hd0,1) #
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2 # initrd
    > /boot/initrd-version.img #boot=/dev/hda default=2 timeout=10
    > splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz title Red Hat Linux
    > (2.4.20-19.9)
    > root (hd0,1)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-19.9 ro root=LABEL=/ initrd
    > /boot/initrd-2.4.20-19.9.img
    > title test
    > root (hd0,1)
    > kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=LABEL=/
    > title Windows
    > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > chainloader +1

    Try; kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=/dev/hda2

    Red Hat makes modifications (patches/changes/etc) to the kernels they
    supply, like the modifation to use partition labels(root=LABEL=/) that's
    not part of the source kernels available from kernel.org, keep this in
    mind the next time you try 'rolling your own kernel'. In the future save
    yourself a bit of work and follow the basic directions here;

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ch-kernel.html

    Since your working with the 2.6 kernels, you might want to visit here
    also;

    http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.htm
    http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author

  3. Re: grub boot problem with RH 9 K2.6

    Lenard wrote:

    > http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.htm

    you forgot the 'l' in '.htm'
    http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

    --
    Woolsey-Swanson Rule:
    People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve

    remove '.eh' to email

+ Reply to Thread