Accessing NTFS partitions - Questions

This is a discussion on Accessing NTFS partitions - Questions ; How can I mount an NTFS partition from within Redhat9? It is on the same physical drive. Thanks. -SRB...

  1. Accessing NTFS partitions

    How can I mount an NTFS partition from within Redhat9? It is on the same
    physical drive. Thanks.
    -SRB

  2. Re: Accessing NTFS partitions

    Visit here; http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author

  3. Re: Accessing NTFS partitions

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:37:44 +0000, Lenard wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:03:31 +0000, SRB wrote:
    >
    >> How can I mount an NTFS partition from within Redhat9? It is on the same
    >> physical drive. Thanks.

    > Visit here; http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

    Yeah, RedHat (in their infinite wisdom.... ?) doesn't support NTFS in
    their default kernels. Therefore, you have three options:

    1.) Download the RPMs from the aforementioned website (easiest)
    2.) Recompile your kernel using the kernel-source RPM from RedHat (more
    difficult)

    OR (the best option, if you're daring):

    3.) Recompile your kernel using the OFFICIAL source from kernel.org. I'd
    stick with a 2.4 kernel to ensure compatibility, as 2.6 has been known to
    cause issues that, unless you're willing, can be a pain to work out. RH9
    comes with 2.4.20, but the newest 2.4 kernel is 2.4.25.

    -Matthew

  4. Re: Accessing NTFS partitions

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:11:09 GMT, Matthew Hatch
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:37:44 +0000, Lenard wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:03:31 +0000, SRB wrote:
    >>
    >>> How can I mount an NTFS partition from within Redhat9? It is on the same
    >>> physical drive. Thanks.

    >> Visit here; http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

    >Yeah, RedHat (in their infinite wisdom.... ?) doesn't support NTFS in
    >their default kernels. Therefore, you have three options:
    >
    >1.) Download the RPMs from the aforementioned website (easiest)
    >2.) Recompile your kernel using the kernel-source RPM from RedHat (more
    >difficult)
    >
    >OR (the best option, if you're daring):
    >
    >3.) Recompile your kernel using the OFFICIAL source from kernel.org. I'd
    >stick with a 2.4 kernel to ensure compatibility, as 2.6 has been known to
    >cause issues that, unless you're willing, can be a pain to work out. RH9
    >comes with 2.4.20, but the newest 2.4 kernel is 2.4.25.
    >
    >-Matthew

    Or you could get NTFS-R/W access the painless way, which doesn't
    involve compiling anything and uses Microsofts own code, so you don't
    get involved with compatibility problems.

    It nevers fails to amaze me. We have the accumulated knowledge of the
    world online, and it always comes down to some clod who can't be
    bothered to do a search.

    Mike-

    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.

  5. Re: Accessing NTFS partitions

    > Or you could get NTFS-R/W access the painless way, which doesn't
    > involve compiling anything and uses Microsofts own code, so you don't
    > get involved with compatibility problems.

    Compatibility problems, no. Legal issues, perhaps. As far as I know,
    using Microsoft's NTFS code in anything besides an NT-based operating
    system is against the terms of their End User License Agreement. Hence
    the reason I opted not to suggest this otherwise ingenious method of file
    system access.

    Plus, there's a certain feeling of accomplishment once you've successfully
    recompiled your kernel for the first time.

  6. Re: Accessing NTFS partitions

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:18:33 GMT, Matthew Hatch
    wrote:

    >> Or you could get NTFS-R/W access the painless way, which doesn't
    >> involve compiling anything and uses Microsofts own code, so you don't
    >> get involved with compatibility problems.

    >Compatibility problems, no. Legal issues, perhaps. As far as I know,
    >using Microsoft's NTFS code in anything besides an NT-based operating
    >system is against the terms of their End User License Agreement. Hence
    >the reason I opted not to suggest this otherwise ingenious method of file
    >system access.
    >
    >Plus, there's a certain feeling of accomplishment once you've successfully
    >recompiled your kernel for the first time.

    As I see it, if you own a copy of windows, you're covered, but IANAL.
    As for kernel compiling, I won't argue, but it's asking a heck of a
    lot of a newbie or near newbie to tell them to compile the kernel!

    Mike-

    --
    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
    --

    Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed site-wide spam
    filters at catherders.com. If email from you bounces, try non-HTML, non-encoded,