Why can't Linux see my NIC? - Questions

This is a discussion on Why can't Linux see my NIC? - Questions ; I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my PC connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag ...

  1. Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my PC
    connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
    problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag during
    boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection. If it matters, I'm on
    Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.

    Any ideas? Thanks.

  2. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t.

    It would be a little easier if you know which NIC is that.
    Davide

    --
    | Reporter (to Mahatma Gandhi): Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western
    | Civilization? Gandhi: I think it would be a good idea.

  3. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    It's a generic NIC based on the 3Com 3C905TX.

    "Hiawatha Bray" wrote in message
    > I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my PC
    > connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
    > problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag during
    > boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection. If it matters, I'm

    on
    > Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks.

  4. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    "Hiawatha Bray" wrote in message news:...
    > I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my PC
    > connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
    > problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag during
    > boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection. If it matters, I'm on
    > Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks.

    Not sure about SUSE specifics and "red failed flags", but there are a
    few things you can check.

    "lspci" will show you if linux can see the NIC at all (assuming it is
    pci)
    "ifconfig -a" will show you all configured network interfaces
    "lsmod" will show you which modules you have loaded

    I'd take a guess that you don't have the module (In "Windows" I guess
    you'd call this a "driver") loaded. Either way, running those commands
    will show you wether your NIC is correctly set up or not. If there is
    no problem with the nic, then you can move on to how you're doing
    DHCP.

  5. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    Okay...I tried assigning a static IP address, and now the NIC starts up. But
    I still can't reach the Internet. Apparently it doesn't see the router at
    all. That figures, since if it could, I presume DHCP would have worked and
    it would have been assigned an IP address.

    So my guess is that for some reason the Speedstream router won't talk to
    SUSE correctly. Anybody ever see anything like this?

    Thanks.

    news:dd394218.0402200314.798e4e6b@posting.google.c om...

    > > I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my

    PC
    > > connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
    > > problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag

    during
    > > boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection. If it matters, I'm

    on
    > > Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.
    > >
    > > Any ideas? Thanks.

    > Not sure about SUSE specifics and "red failed flags", but there are a
    > few things you can check.
    >
    > "lspci" will show you if linux can see the NIC at all (assuming it is
    > pci)
    > "ifconfig -a" will show you all configured network interfaces
    > "lsmod" will show you which modules you have loaded
    >
    > I'd take a guess that you don't have the module (In "Windows" I guess
    > you'd call this a "driver") loaded. Either way, running those commands
    > will show you wether your NIC is correctly set up or not. If there is
    > no problem with the nic, then you can move on to how you're doing
    > DHCP.

  6. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > Okay...I tried assigning a static IP address, and now the NIC starts up. But
    > I still can't reach the Internet. Apparently it doesn't see the router at
    > all. That figures, since if it could, I presume DHCP would have worked and
    > it would have been assigned an IP address.
    >
    > So my guess is that for some reason the Speedstream router won't talk to
    > SUSE correctly. Anybody ever see anything like this?

    Likely you are not setting something right on either the router or
    the linux machines.

    Try "ifconfig" and "route -n" and see if the tables are properly
    set up.

    --

    Best regards,

    Stephen Jenuth
    (jenuths@homacjen.ab.ca)

    pgp/gpg public key available at http://www.keyserver.net

  7. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    I get "command not found" for lspci and ifconfig -a. For lsmod, I got a
    whole batch of stuff, including

    3c59x 27024 1

    Which seems to mean that the computer sees my NIC. Indeed, it does see it
    when I boot up using a static IP address. You can see the NIC being
    activated during the bootup process. But it still doesn't talk to the
    router. So what do I try next? Thanks.

    > > I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my

    PC
    > > connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
    > > problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag

    during
    > > boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection. If it matters, I'm

    on
    > > Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.
    > >
    > > Any ideas? Thanks.

    > Not sure about SUSE specifics and "red failed flags", but there are a
    > few things you can check.
    >
    > "lspci" will show you if linux can see the NIC at all (assuming it is
    > pci)
    > "ifconfig -a" will show you all configured network interfaces
    > "lsmod" will show you which modules you have loaded
    >
    > I'd take a guess that you don't have the module (In "Windows" I guess
    > you'd call this a "driver") loaded. Either way, running those commands
    > will show you wether your NIC is correctly set up or not. If there is
    > no problem with the nic, then you can move on to how you're doing
    > DHCP.

  8. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    I get "command not found" with ifconfig and route -n.

    "Stephen Jenuth" wrote in message
    > In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > > Okay...I tried assigning a static IP address, and now the NIC starts up.

    But
    > > I still can't reach the Internet. Apparently it doesn't see the router

    at
    > > all. That figures, since if it could, I presume DHCP would have worked

    and
    > > it would have been assigned an IP address.
    > >
    > > So my guess is that for some reason the Speedstream router won't talk to
    > > SUSE correctly. Anybody ever see anything like this?

    > Likely you are not setting something right on either the router or
    > the linux machines.
    >
    > Try "ifconfig" and "route -n" and see if the tables are properly
    > set up.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Stephen Jenuth
    > (jenuths@homacjen.ab.ca)
    >
    > Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
    >
    > pgp/gpg public key available at http://www.keyserver.net

  9. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    Oh, wait...lspci and ifconfig must be run as root. My bad.

    lspci now shows my NIC as a 3Com 3c905

    ifconfig -a shows a mess of network interfaces, including the NIC card.

    route -n shows the card as well.

    Destination 192.168.1.0 Gateway 0.0.0.0 Genmask 255.255.255.0 Flags U
    Metric 0 Ref 0 Use 0 Iface eth0

    I think it's pretty clearly established that the computer sees the NIC, but
    it doesn't see the router. So what's the next step? Thanks.

    > > I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my

    PC
    > > connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
    > > problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag

    during
    > > boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection. If it matters, I'm

    on
    > > Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.
    > >
    > > Any ideas? Thanks.

    > Not sure about SUSE specifics and "red failed flags", but there are a
    > few things you can check.
    >
    > "lspci" will show you if linux can see the NIC at all (assuming it is
    > pci)
    > "ifconfig -a" will show you all configured network interfaces
    > "lsmod" will show you which modules you have loaded
    >
    > I'd take a guess that you don't have the module (In "Windows" I guess
    > you'd call this a "driver") loaded. Either way, running those commands
    > will show you wether your NIC is correctly set up or not. If there is
    > no problem with the nic, then you can move on to how you're doing
    > DHCP.

  10. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    Never mind, all...I figured it out.

    Inside the Yast utility, I found an entry asking for the default gateway. I
    typed in the IP address of my router. Bingo! Now I'm on the net.

    Thanks much!

    "Stephen Jenuth" wrote in message
    > In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > > Okay...I tried assigning a static IP address, and now the NIC starts up.

    But
    > > I still can't reach the Internet. Apparently it doesn't see the router

    at
    > > all. That figures, since if it could, I presume DHCP would have worked

    and
    > > it would have been assigned an IP address.
    > >
    > > So my guess is that for some reason the Speedstream router won't talk to
    > > SUSE correctly. Anybody ever see anything like this?

    > Likely you are not setting something right on either the router or
    > the linux machines.
    >
    > Try "ifconfig" and "route -n" and see if the tables are properly
    > set up.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Stephen Jenuth
    > (jenuths@homacjen.ab.ca)
    >
    > Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
    >
    > pgp/gpg public key available at http://www.keyserver.net

  11. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    > Oh, wait...lspci and ifconfig must be run as root. My bad.
    >
    > lspci now shows my NIC as a 3Com 3c905
    >
    > ifconfig -a shows a mess of network interfaces, including the NIC card.
    >
    > route -n shows the card as well.
    >
    > Destination 192.168.1.0 Gateway 0.0.0.0 Genmask 255.255.255.0 Flags U
    > Metric 0 Ref 0 Use 0 Iface eth0
    >
    > I think it's pretty clearly established that the computer sees the NIC,

    but
    > it doesn't see the router. So what's the next step? Thanks.
    > "Mattias Honrendgard" wrote in message
    > news:dd394218.0402200314.798e4e6b@posting.google.c om...
    > > "Hiawatha Bray" wrote in message

    > > > I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my

    > PC
    > > > connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
    > > > problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag

    > during
    > > > boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection. If it matters,

    I'm
    > on
    > > > Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624

    router.

    > > > Any ideas? Thanks.

    > > Not sure about SUSE specifics and "red failed flags", but there are a
    > > few things you can check.
    > >
    > > "lspci" will show you if linux can see the NIC at all (assuming it is
    > > pci)
    > > "ifconfig -a" will show you all configured network interfaces
    > > "lsmod" will show you which modules you have loaded
    > >
    > > I'd take a guess that you don't have the module (In "Windows" I guess
    > > you'd call this a "driver") loaded. Either way, running those commands
    > > will show you wether your NIC is correctly set up or not. If there is
    > > no problem with the nic, then you can move on to how you're doing
    > > DHCP.

  12. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > I get "command not found" for lspci and ifconfig -a.

    Theer's nothing unusual about that - they're not in your PATH. Call
    them by full path, or add tehir directory to your PATH.

    > For lsmod, I got a
    > whole batch of stuff, including
    >
    > 3c59x 27024 1

    FIne.

    > Which seems to mean that the computer sees my NIC.

    Mu.. "meaningless". It means that the driver has loaded, that's all.
    It may not load if it finds no card that it can drive, but you don't
    know that ...

    > Indeed, it does see it

    "see" it??

    > when I boot up using a static IP address.

    That's fine then.

    > You can see the NIC being
    > activated during the bootup process. But it still doesn't talk to the
    > router. So what do I try next? Thanks.

    There's nothing to "try". If your nic is up and running, then placing
    packets on the net via it causes your router to "see" them (in your
    parlance). It's a perfectly deterministic process.

    What precisely are you trying to do? Run ifconfig to check the state of
    i/o via the nic. Run route to check your routing tables. Run tcpdump to
    sniff the net.

    Peter

  13. Re: Why can't Linux see my NIC?

    In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > I get "command not found" with ifconfig and route -n.

    Try /sbin/ifconfig and /sbin/route -n

    or look for them using find / -name ifconfig

    There are likely somewhere, you just have to find them.

    --

    Best regards,

    Stephen Jenuth
    (jenuths@homacjen.ab.ca)