Estimated Linux distributions popularity scores - Questions

This is a discussion on Estimated Linux distributions popularity scores - Questions ; Is there any table of information showing estimated popularity of various Linux distributions ? ie. something like that; Total Number of Linux users : xxx.xxx.xxx Distribution : Red Hat Version : 9 Number of user : xxx.xxx Popularity (%) : ...

  1. Estimated Linux distributions popularity scores

    Is there any table of information showing estimated popularity of various
    Linux distributions ?
    ie. something like that;

    Total Number of Linux users : xxx.xxx.xxx

    Version : XX
    Number of user : xxx.xxx
    Popularity (%) : xx.xx
    ===================

  2. Re: Estimated Linux distributions popularity scores

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:06:48 +1100, aaaa wrote:

    > Is there any table of information showing estimated popularity of various
    > Linux distributions ?

    http://counter.li.org/reports/

    In paticular this one,

    http://counter.li.org/reports/machines.php

    --
    -Geoff

  3. Re: Estimated Linux distributions popularity scores

    wrote:

    > Is there any table of information showing estimated popularity of various
    > Linux distributions ?
    > ie. something like that;

    slashdot had an article today or yesterday about popularity of distros, that
    was discussing the growth rate of some distros. you might find numbers by
    following those threads. I vaguely recall RH getting something like 60% or
    70%.

    > Total Number of Linux users : xxx.xxx.xxx

    > Version : XX
    > Number of user : xxx.xxx
    > Popularity (%) : xx.xx
    > ===================

  4. Re: Estimated Linux distributions popularity scores

  5. Re: Estimated Linux distributions popularity scores

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:06:48 +1100, wrote:

    >Is there any table of information showing estimated popularity of various
    >Linux distributions ?

    Not specifically as you listed, but there is a pseudo-popularity
    figure that can be gleaned from DistroWatch. DistroWatch
    (http://www.distrowatch.com) lists the number of page hits on a
    particular distribution's page per day.

    Of course, this doesn't count downloads, sales, dollars in sales, or
    anything like that, but it's a measure at least. Don't forget that
    caches can skew the numbers, but again it's just a measure.

    Interesting to see that Knoppix is more popular than Xandros or
    Lindows, or Red Hat or SUSE or Slackware, for that matter....

    David Douthitt (david@douthitt.net)
    UNIX System Administrator
    HP-UX, Unixware, Linux
    Linux+, LPIC-1

  6. Re: Estimated Linux distributions popularity scores

    In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, Michael Heiming transmitted:
    > aaaa wrote:
    >> Is there any table of information showing estimated popularity of various
    >> Linux distributions ?
    >> ie. something like that;

    >> Total Number of Linux users : xxx.xxx.xxx

    >> Version : 9
    >> Number of user : xxx.xxx
    >> Popularity (%) : xx.xx

    > Nope, you could mail those distro and ask them how much they
    > sold, but then it doesn't tell anything. Many distro are
    > download-able and a single downloaded/bought distro might be
    > installed a few hundred times or more, perfectly legal.

    Furthermore, someone might have 8 copies of "boxed sets" lying around
    not in use, and be actually _using_ one of the ones for which sales
    can't be counted.
    --
    select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/unix.html

  7. Re: Estimated Linux distributions popularity scores

    wrote in message news:<4033636a$0$14898$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
    > Is there any table of information showing estimated popularity of various
    > Linux distributions ?

    Distrowatch has a sort of popularity table going back a couple of years...

+ Reply to Thread