Firewall question - Questions

This is a discussion on Firewall question - Questions ; I've off and on played with linux for the last 4 or 5 years. I'm just now getting comfortable with it. In windows I like to use a firewall that prompts me if a program wants to use the internet. ...

  1. Firewall question

    I've off and on played with linux for the last 4 or 5 years. I'm just now
    getting comfortable with it. In windows I like to use a firewall that
    prompts me if a program wants to use the internet.

    One time I asked a Linux pro why Linux firewalls don't seem to do that.
    And he said something I didn't understand. That firewalls that prompt you
    are easily tricked and are useless.

    Well I don't want any program on my computer to communicate on the net
    unless I give them permission to. And then I would check what that program
    does and probably check the ip it want to communicate with. I think it's
    only a matter of time that people start writing the same spyware crap for
    Linux that Windows people are plagued with. It seems to me that both rule
    based and prompted along with checking if a program that was given a
    permittion level has been replaced by another one would be the best
    solution.

    Is there a Firewall program on Linux that prompts you to give permission for
    individual programs to access the internet?

    Also I'm thinking of running Wine. Can I run a Windows firewall along with
    it?

    Thanks 8-)

  2. Re: Firewall question

    "Infopackrat" wrote in message news:...
    > I've off and on played with linux for the last 4 or 5 years. I'm just now
    > getting comfortable with it. In windows I like to use a firewall that
    > prompts me if a program wants to use the internet.

    And boy do you need it if you use windows.

    > One time I asked a Linux pro why Linux firewalls don't seem to do that.
    > And he said something I didn't understand. That firewalls that prompt you
    > are easily tricked and are useless.

    Linux != Microsoft Windows, but hey...

    > Well I don't want any program on my computer to communicate on the net
    > unless I give them permission to. And then I would check what that program
    > does and probably check the ip it want to communicate with. I think it's
    > only a matter of time that people start writing the same spyware crap for
    > Linux that Windows people are plagued with. It seems to me that both rule
    > based and prompted along with checking if a program that was given a
    > permittion level has been replaced by another one would be the best
    > solution.

    You have been using Windows for a long time, haven't you?

    > Is there a Firewall program on Linux that prompts you to give permission for
    > individual programs to access the internet?

    You mean like systrace?

    http://niels.xtdnet.nl/systrace/

    > Also I'm thinking of running Wine. Can I run a Windows firewall along with
    > it?

    Don't even go there. If your using Linux, use Linux.

    > Thanks 8-)

  3. Re: Firewall question

    Yes I have been running Windows a while. I don't think I will ever be able
    to get away from it completely. And I've had many bad things happen.

    I didn't know about that program. Thanks. I may have to do a lot of
    reading to understand enough to work it properly though.

    news:dd394218.0402161654.77cc3dd@posting.google.co m...

    > > I've off and on played with linux for the last 4 or 5 years. I'm just

    now
    > > getting comfortable with it. In windows I like to use a firewall that
    > > prompts me if a program wants to use the internet.

    > And boy do you need it if you use windows.
    >

    > > One time I asked a Linux pro why Linux firewalls don't seem to do that.
    > > And he said something I didn't understand. That firewalls that prompt

    you
    > > are easily tricked and are useless.

    > Linux != Microsoft Windows, but hey...
    >

    > > Well I don't want any program on my computer to communicate on the net
    > > unless I give them permission to. And then I would check what that

    program
    > > does and probably check the ip it want to communicate with. I think

    it's
    > > only a matter of time that people start writing the same spyware crap

    for
    > > Linux that Windows people are plagued with. It seems to me that both

    rule
    > > based and prompted along with checking if a program that was given a
    > > permittion level has been replaced by another one would be the best
    > > solution.

    > You have been using Windows for a long time, haven't you?
    >

    > > Is there a Firewall program on Linux that prompts you to give permission

    for
    > > individual programs to access the internet?

    > You mean like systrace?
    >
    > http://niels.xtdnet.nl/systrace/
    >

    > > Also I'm thinking of running Wine. Can I run a Windows firewall along

    with
    > > it?

    > Don't even go there. If your using Linux, use Linux.
    >

    > > Thanks 8-)

+ Reply to Thread