How to start VNC server automatically - Questions

This is a discussion on How to start VNC server automatically - Questions ; I've RedHat 9 and I'm using VNC to access Linux from a VNC client running on WinXP. How can I automatically start VNC server(s) automatically after RedHat 9 finish its boot sequence?...

  1. How to start VNC server automatically

    I've RedHat 9 and I'm using VNC to access Linux from a VNC client running on
    WinXP.

    How can I automatically start VNC server(s) automatically after RedHat 9
    finish its boot sequence?

  2. Re: How to start VNC server automatically

    aaaa wrote:
    > I've RedHat 9 and I'm using VNC to access Linux from a VNC client running on
    > WinXP.
    >
    > How can I automatically start VNC server(s) automatically after RedHat 9
    > finish its boot sequence?

    as root:
    chkconfig --level 35 vncserver on

    or use 'serviceconf' and add vncserver to runlevel 3 and 5.

    --

    Mauriat (www.mjmwired.net)
    ----------------------------

  3. Re: How to start VNC server automatically

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:37:53 -0500, Mauriat wrote:

    > aaaa wrote:
    >> I've RedHat 9 and I'm using VNC to access Linux from a VNC client running on
    >> WinXP.
    >>
    >> How can I automatically start VNC server(s) automatically after RedHat 9
    >> finish its boot sequence?
    >>

    > as root:
    > chkconfig --level 35 vncserver on
    >
    > or use 'serviceconf' and add vncserver to runlevel 3 and 5.

    and you may need to edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
    --

    phillip brown

  4. Re: How to start VNC server automatically

    wrote in message
    news:4030bf5a$0$19704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > I've RedHat 9 and I'm using VNC to access Linux from a VNC client running

    on
    > WinXP.
    >
    > How can I automatically start VNC server(s) automatically after RedHat 9
    > finish its boot sequence?

    Why not create an init.d script for it.

    In short:

    #!/bin/sh

    case "$1" in
    start)
    echo "Starting VNC Server"
    $(PATH_TO_VNCSERVER)
    ;;
    stop)
    echo "Stopping VNC Server"
    pid=`ps ax | grep vnc | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $1; }'`
    kill -9 $pid
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage $0 (start|stop)
    exit 1
    ;;
    esac

    exit 0

    That will get you started, it may need to be tweaked as I do not have VNC
    installed to verify.

  5. Re: How to start VNC server automatically

    > > as root:
    > > chkconfig --level 35 vncserver on
    > >
    > > or use 'serviceconf' and add vncserver to runlevel 3 and 5.

    > and you may need to edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers

    Thank you for your help.
    I've used
    chkconfig --level 35 vncserver on
    and edited the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file to add the following lines
    VNCSERVERS="1:root"
    VNCSERVERS="2:root"

    Now I can access my RedHat9 machine from my WinXP just after linux finishes
    its boot upsequence.

    Forexample if I want to use KDE on VNC server 2 and GNOME on VNC server 3
    and TWM on VNC server 4.
    How can I define such variety on VNC servers ?

    Another issue is that when I work with multiple VNC connections to my
    RedHat9, some time when I try to open start Mozilla for web browsing I
    receive an error message saying that "KLauncher could not be reached via
    DCOP"

    Any idea why this happens and how can it be fixed?

    Thanks.

  6. Re: How to start VNC server automatically

    W wrote:

    > wrote in message
    > news:4030bf5a$0$19704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >
    >>I've RedHat 9 and I'm using VNC to access Linux from a VNC client running

    > on
    >
    >>WinXP.
    >>
    >>How can I automatically start VNC server(s) automatically after RedHat 9
    >>finish its boot sequence?

    > Why not create an init.d script for it.
    >
    > In short:
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    >
    > case "$1" in
    > start)
    > echo "Starting VNC Server"
    > $(PATH_TO_VNCSERVER)
    > ;;
    > stop)
    > echo "Stopping VNC Server"
    > pid=`ps ax | grep vnc | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $1; }'`
    > kill -9 $pid
    > ;;
    > *)
    > echo "Usage $0 (start|stop)
    > exit 1
    > ;;
    > esac
    >
    > exit 0
    >
    > That will get you started, it may need to be tweaked as I do not have VNC
    > installed to verify.

    Redhat already comes with an init.d script for vncserver.

    --

    Mauriat (www.mjmwired.net)
    ----------------------------

  7. Re: How to start VNC server automatically

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:13:34 +1100, aaa wrote:

    >> > as root:
    >> > chkconfig --level 35 vncserver on
    >> >
    >> > or use 'serviceconf' and add vncserver to runlevel 3 and 5.

    >> and you may need to edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers

    > Thank you for your help.
    > I've used
    > chkconfig --level 35 vncserver on
    > and edited the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file to add the following lines
    > VNCSERVERS="1:root"
    > VNCSERVERS="2:root"

    isn't the syntax

    VNCSERVERS="1:root 2:root"

    > Now I can access my RedHat9 machine from my WinXP just after linux finishes
    > its boot upsequence.
    >
    > Forexample if I want to use KDE on VNC server 2 and GNOME on VNC server 3
    > and TWM on VNC server 4.
    > How can I define such variety on VNC servers ?

    You probably need to do some not-too-fancy scripting in ~root/.vnc/xstartup.

    > Another issue is that when I work with multiple VNC connections to my
    > RedHat9, some time when I try to open start Mozilla for web browsing I
    > receive an error message saying that "KLauncher could not be reached via
    > DCOP"
    >
    > Any idea why this happens and how can it be fixed?

    nope

    --

    phillip brown

+ Reply to Thread