Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux - Questions

This is a discussion on Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux - Questions ; Where can I find a *good* Flash plug-in for Mozilla (and others, like Galleon, Conqueror, Opera) under Linux that actually *works well*? I've tried the one at Macromedia, but it haven't really worked for me. -Koppe...

  1. Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

    Where can I find a *good* Flash plug-in for
    Mozilla (and others, like Galleon, Conqueror,
    Opera) under Linux that actually *works well*?

    I've tried the one at Macromedia, but it
    haven't really worked for me.

    -Koppe

  2. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

  3. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:20:47 +0100, Michael Heiming wrote:

    > Baard Ove Kopperud wrote:

    >> Where can I find a *good* Flash plug-in for
    >> Mozilla (and others, like Galleon, Conqueror,
    >> Opera) under Linux that actually *works well*?

    >> I've tried the one at Macromedia, but it
    >> haven't really worked for me.

    > AFAIK there's no other plugin, probably because this flash thing
    > is proprietary stuff.
    >
    > If entering "aboutlugins" in the mozilla URL bar I get among
    > others:
    >
    > Shockwave Flash
    >
    > File name: libflashplayer.so
    > Shockwave Flash 6.0 r79
    >
    > MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    > application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf
    > Yes
    > application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl
    > Yes
    >
    > Works fine here, even for other browser.

    I have the same settings, but certain Flash sites lock up the browser
    every damn time. Might be due to the on-board graphics card. I haven't
    cared about Flash enough to research the issue in any great detail.

  4. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

  5. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

    In comp.os.linux.misc Ed Murphy wrote:

    >I have the same settings, but certain Flash sites lock up the browser
    >every damn time. Might be due to the on-board graphics card. I haven't
    >cared about Flash enough to research the issue in any great detail.

    As in "is there a site that uses Flash that is actually worth visiting" ?

    Sure, there must be.. somewhere.

    --
    tony@pcunix.com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  6. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

    tony@pcunix.com wrote:
    > As in "is there a site that uses Flash that is actually worth visiting" ?
    >
    > Sure, there must be.. somewhere.

    http://www.oddtodd.com

    Unfortunately it doesn't get along with Mozilla...

    --
    Gordon S. Hlavenka http://www.crashelectronics.com
    "If we imagined he could _find_ the car,

  7. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

    [ Nonexistent newsgroup comp.os.linux removed ]
    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:24:41 GMT, Gordon S. Hlavenka staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > tony@pcunix.com wrote:
    >> As in "is there a site that uses Flash that is actually worth
    >> visiting" ? Sure, there must be.. somewhere.

    > http://www.oddtodd.com Unfortunately it doesn't get along with
    > Mozilla...

    No, it doesn't. How weird. Try http://newgrounds.com/ , a lot of Flash
    games (make sure you have your popup killer on), not all of which are
    work-safe, some of which are fun. I liked "Pico", but I'm sick that
    way.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  8. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:32:36 +0100, Michael Heiming wrote:

    > Ed Murphy wrote:

    >> I have the same settings, but certain Flash sites lock up the browser
    >> every damn time. Might be due to the on-board graphics card. I haven't
    >> cared about Flash enough to research the issue in any great detail.

    > Curious, had some problems with a very few sites using
    > java/javascript, upgraded mozilla to 1.6 and the proper JRE from
    > sun, now thing have improved. Never a problem with flash, could
    > you post an URL where your mozilla? locks up, so others can take a
    > look if they have the same problem?

    http://meph.eu.org/

  9. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

  10. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:10:08 +0000 (UTC), tony@pcunix.com wrote:

    >In comp.os.linux.misc Ed Murphy wrote:
    >
    >>I have the same settings, but certain Flash sites lock up the browser
    >>every damn time. Might be due to the on-board graphics card. I haven't
    >>cared about Flash enough to research the issue in any great detail.

    >As in "is there a site that uses Flash that is actually worth visiting" ?
    >
    >Sure, there must be.. somewhere.

    If you are getting into flash, you might be interested in Ming,
    http://ming.sourceforge.net/
    which allows you to write simple flash in PhP,Perl,Tcl,or C.

    Ming has alot of sample scripts in it's docs.

    --
    When life conspires against you, and no longer floats your boat,
    Don't waste your time with crying, just get on your back and float.

  11. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 07:53:06 -0500, zentara@highstream.net wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:10:08 +0000 (UTC), tony@pcunix.com wrote:
    >
    >>In comp.os.linux.misc Ed Murphy wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have the same settings, but certain Flash sites lock up the browser
    >>>every damn time. Might be due to the on-board graphics card. I haven't
    >>>cared about Flash enough to research the issue in any great detail.

    >>As in "is there a site that uses Flash that is actually worth visiting" ?
    >>
    >>Sure, there must be.. somewhere.

    >If you are getting into flash, you might be interested in Ming,
    >http://ming.sourceforge.net/
    >which allows you to write simple flash in PhP,Perl,Tcl,or C.
    >
    >Ming has alot of sample scripts in it's docs.

    Here's a little flash I put together with Ming.

    http://zentara.net/japh.html

    --
    When life conspires against you, and no longer floats your boat,
    Don't waste your time with crying, just get on your back and float.

  12. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:23:49 +0000, Ed Murphy wrote:

    > I have the same settings, but certain Flash sites lock up the browser
    > every damn time. Might be due to the on-board graphics card. I haven't
    > cared about Flash enough to research the issue in any great detail.

    maybe theser flash sirtes use sound and your soundcard is already blocked
    by another process. if you use ALSA the default behaviour is to block
    until the soundcard is free again..

    check it out.. lsof /dev/snd/* is your friend..

    Flo

    --
    signature

  13. Re: Flash-plug-ins for Mozilla (and others) under Linux

    On 15 Feb 2004 06:52:07 -0800, eekeemonkee
    wrote:

    >> Are you sure you sound is set up right? I've had problems in the past
    >> with Flash if the sound wasn't working.

    > Thanks, it probably is the sound. Sound isn't working at all for
    > Opera (works badly for other apps) and it does seem to be only those
    > Flash sites with sound that don't work for me.

    If you are using KDE you might have a conflict with "artsd", the KDE
    sound server. Either set it to sleep after a short timeout (this is in
    the Control Panel) or start your non-KDE apps with "artsdsp".

    You can also just turn artsd off but then you won't get the KDE system
    sounds.

    If you're not using KDE, then it must be something else .

    --
    -| Bob Hauck
    -| To Whom You Are Speaking

+ Reply to Thread