Which Linux Distro? - Questions

This is a discussion on Which Linux Distro? - Questions ; I am going to switch a Windows 2000 network at a high school over to Linux and I was wondering with distro would be best for an educational environment. It would need to be easy to manage considering there are ...

  1. Which Linux Distro?

    I am going to switch a Windows 2000 network at a high school over to Linux
    and I was wondering with distro would be best for an educational
    environment. It would need to be easy to manage considering there are many
    computers on the network.

  2. Re: Which Linux Distro?

    "Kyle" wrote in message news:...
    > I am going to switch a Windows 2000 network at a high school over to Linux
    > and I was wondering with distro would be best for an educational
    > environment. It would need to be easy to manage considering there are many
    > computers on the network.

    I'm new to Linux so I don't know all that much about the various
    distros, but i'll attempt to help.

    First of all, you may want to try knoppix, a live cd (boot from cd)
    based on Debian. Knoppix will automatically detect and configure all
    of your hardware, something thats hard to do in regular distros.
    Debian is designed to be a server os, so you get security features
    too.
    As for desktop environment, I recommend KDE but I know little about
    the others. KDE has been so easy for me to use and configure, though,
    i can't imagine much better.
    I've heard distros like mandrake are better for newbies, but this is
    just hearsay. I've also heard Debian is a good noob distro, though i
    don't see that in its install routine;-)
    As for educational software, it doesn't really matter as any software
    written for linux will run on any computer. Knoppix has a geometry
    program and i think one other, though.
    About ease of management: Linux is a network OS at heart so no
    troubles there...you can just telnet or ssh into each system and
    configure it via command line.

  3. Re: Which Linux Distro?

    "Kyle" wrote in message news:...
    > I am going to switch a Windows 2000 network at a high school over to Linux
    > and I was wondering with distro would be best for an educational
    > environment. It would need to be easy to manage considering there are many
    > computers on the network.

    Mandrake if you want "wizards" to do everything for you.
    Slackware if you hate "wizards".

  4. Re: Which Linux Distro?

    PcLinuxOS: enhanced Mandrake Linux 9.2 on a single bootable live CD
    that will install right to your hard drive with everything ready to
    work.

    The real cool part is that it's a LiveCD, meaning you can run it from
    the CD to make sure it does what you need it to do.

    It has the helpful Mandrake tools and a great looking KDE desktop and
    clutter free K menu.

    Here is a full review:
    http://on-disk.com/product_info.php?products_id=37

    "Kyle" wrote in message news:...
    > I am going to switch a Windows 2000 network at a high school over to Linux
    > and I was wondering with distro would be best for an educational
    > environment. It would need to be easy to manage considering there are many
    > computers on the network.

+ Reply to Thread