KDE 3.2 on SuSE 9 - Questions

This is a discussion on KDE 3.2 on SuSE 9 - Questions ; I'm going to try this again. The last attempt to get an answer got derailed by questions on related topics. I'm considering an update of KDE under SuSE 9 to V3.2. I've never done this before as I am relatively ...

  1. KDE 3.2 on SuSE 9

    I'm going to try this again. The last attempt to get an answer got
    derailed by questions on related topics.

    I'm considering an update of KDE under SuSE 9 to V3.2. I've never
    done this before as I am relatively new to Linux. I went to
    http://ftp.leo.org/pub/suse/i386/sup...pdate_for_9.0/ and
    found a bunch of rpm files in subdirectories that obviously make up
    the set required for KDE. My question is how do I know the order in
    which I should install these? How do I ensure all the dependencies
    are covered? Is there a way to build a CD that YaST can use to help
    with the install task or is there a way to point YaST to the
    aforementioned ftp location to handle the download and installation?

    Thanks.
    Bill Lugg

  2. Re: KDE 3.2 on SuSE 9

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:07:24 -0800, William Lugg wrote:

    > I'm going to try this again. The last attempt to get an answer got
    > derailed by questions on related topics.
    >
    > I'm considering an update of KDE under SuSE 9 to V3.2. I've never
    > done this before as I am relatively new to Linux. I went to
    > http://ftp.leo.org/pub/suse/i386/sup...pdate_for_9.0/ and
    > found a bunch of rpm files in subdirectories that obviously make up
    > the set required for KDE. My question is how do I know the order in
    > which I should install these? How do I ensure all the dependencies
    > are covered? Is there a way to build a CD that YaST can use to help
    > with the install task or is there a way to point YaST to the
    > aforementioned ftp location to handle the download and installation?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Bill Lugg

    I'm using KDE 3.2 in SuSE 9 as I type. Works like a charm. I downloaded
    the SuSE RPMs from KDE's download site (I downloaded it all so I didn't
    forget anything).

    When you get everything downloaded, go to tty01 (ctrl-alt-F1), login as
    root, and enter runlevel 3:
    localhost:~ # init 3

    Then relocate to the directory you downloaded the files to and install
    them using the following command:

    localhost:~/KDE3.2.0 # rpm -Fvh *.rpm

    That uses the flag "freshen", thereby only upgrading the packages that
    are already installed (as opposed to -U, which will upgrade the ones that
    are, and install the ones that aren't).

    There may be a depencancy issue, but the missing libraries 99% of the time
    can be found in your SuSE install directory (or CD/DVDs if you used
    those). Once the process in complete, return to init 5. All should be in
    order.

    Hope this helps.

    -Matthew

  3. Re: KDE 3.2 on SuSE 9

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 06:57:13 +0000, Matthew Hatch wrote:

    > I'm using KDE 3.2 in SuSE 9 as I type. Works like a charm. I downloaded
    > the SuSE RPMs from KDE's download site (I downloaded it all so I didn't
    > forget anything).
    >
    > When you get everything downloaded, go to tty01 (ctrl-alt-F1), login as
    > root, and enter runlevel 3:
    > localhost:~ # init 3
    >
    > Then relocate to the directory you downloaded the files to and install
    > them using the following command:
    >
    > localhost:~/KDE3.2.0 # rpm -Fvh *.rpm
    >
    > That uses the flag "freshen", thereby only upgrading the packages that
    > are already installed (as opposed to -U, which will upgrade the ones that
    > are, and install the ones that aren't).
    >
    > There may be a depencancy issue, but the missing libraries 99% of the time
    > can be found in your SuSE install directory (or CD/DVDs if you used
    > those). Once the process in complete, return to init 5. All should be in
    > order.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > -Matthew

    One more quick follow-up to my own post:

    Once you've finished the upgrade of the RPMs, and BEFORE you return to
    runlevel 5, run:

    localhost:~ # SuSEconfig

    That just gets all the configuration issues out of the way.

    Anyway...

  4. Re: KDE 3.2 on SuSE 9

    You're previous instructions seem to suggest that it can be done on other
    distros. I have RedHat 9. However what does SuSEconfig do? And is there
    something similar I can use on RedHat?

    "Matthew Hatch" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.02.16.07.01.12.249089@nospam.com...
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 06:57:13 +0000, Matthew Hatch wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using KDE 3.2 in SuSE 9 as I type. Works like a charm. I

    downloaded
    > > the SuSE RPMs from KDE's download site (I downloaded it all so I didn't
    > > forget anything).
    > >
    > > When you get everything downloaded, go to tty01 (ctrl-alt-F1), login as
    > > root, and enter runlevel 3:
    > > localhost:~ # init 3
    > >
    > > Then relocate to the directory you downloaded the files to and install
    > > them using the following command:
    > >
    > > localhost:~/KDE3.2.0 # rpm -Fvh *.rpm
    > >
    > > That uses the flag "freshen", thereby only upgrading the packages that
    > > are already installed (as opposed to -U, which will upgrade the ones

    that
    > > are, and install the ones that aren't).
    > >
    > > There may be a depencancy issue, but the missing libraries 99% of the

    time
    > > can be found in your SuSE install directory (or CD/DVDs if you used
    > > those). Once the process in complete, return to init 5. All should be

    in
    > > order.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps.
    > >
    > > -Matthew

    > One more quick follow-up to my own post:
    >
    > Once you've finished the upgrade of the RPMs, and BEFORE you return to
    > runlevel 5, run:
    >
    > localhost:~ # SuSEconfig
    >
    > That just gets all the configuration issues out of the way.
    >
    > Anyway...

+ Reply to Thread