KDE - Questions

This is a discussion on KDE - Questions ; I'm considering an update of KDE under SuSE 9 to V3.2. I've never done this before as I am relatively new to Linux. I went to http://ftp.leo.org/pub/suse/i386/sup...pdate_for_9.0/ and found a bunch of rpm files in subdirectories that obviously make up ...

  1. KDE

    I'm considering an update of KDE under SuSE 9 to V3.2. I've never
    done this before as I am relatively new to Linux. I went to
    http://ftp.leo.org/pub/suse/i386/sup...pdate_for_9.0/ and
    found a bunch of rpm files in subdirectories that obviously make up
    the set required for KDE. My question is how do I know the order in
    which I should install these? How do I ensure all the dependencies
    are covered? Is there a way to build a CD that YaST can use to help
    with the install task or is there a way to point YaST to the
    aforementioned ftp location to handle the download and installation?

    Thanks.
    Bill Lugg

  2. Re: KDE

    > I'm considering an update of KDE under SuSE 9 to V3.2. I've never
    > done this before as I am relatively new to Linux.

    It's not hard I'm a newbie too

    > I went to
    > http://ftp.leo.org/pub/suse/i386/sup...pdate_for_9.0/ and
    > found a bunch of rpm files in subdirectories that obviously make up
    > the set required for KDE.

    In my opinion you should go to the source directory, and d/l the files
    you want. Since I don't use KDE myself I'm not 100% sure what files
    you should d/l but I guess it should be kde3-i18n-*.src.rpm (choose
    the one you want) and the kdelibs src files. Still more expert advice
    would be great.

    > My question is how do I know the order in
    > which I should install these? How do I ensure all the dependencies
    > are covered?

    I guess there's a readme file somewhere.

    > Is there a way to build a CD that YaST can use to help
    > with the install task or is there a way to point YaST to the
    > aforementioned ftp location to handle the download and installation?

    Sorry I don't know what YaST is

    > Thanks.
    > Bill Lugg

+ Reply to Thread