Is my harddisk broken? - Questions

This is a discussion on Is my harddisk broken? - Questions ; Hi I just installed Mandrake 9.1 on my pentium 1 166 MHz PC. It works all fine but just before Mandrake boots this messages appear: hda: timeout waiting for DM hda: timeout waiting for DM hda: drive not ready for ...

  1. Is my harddisk broken?

    Hi

    I just installed Mandrake 9.1 on my pentium 1 166 MHz PC.
    It works all fine but just before Mandrake boots this messages appear:

    hda: timeout waiting for DM
    hda: timeout waiting for DM
    hda: drive not ready for command

    The computer hangs for a short time and then it goes on whitout any
    problems.
    What is this.
    I read some on the newsgroupe that this could mean that my disk is
    broken? I read about doing something wrong when compiling the kernel,
    but I just used all the standarts from the installer.

    Another thing is that my computer has been broken a and I have
    replaced the computer and saved the disk. Could this have anything to
    do with it?

    I sure don't hope my disk is broken but if if it is I would like too
    have a warning about it. Pleace help me, I don't know where to start.
    I will send log prints if needed.

    Venlig hilsen Kresten.
    Denmark

  2. Re: Is my harddisk broken?

    krestenbuch@users.1go.dk (Kresten Buch) wrote in message news:<193b9902.0401251023.6fb515@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi
    >
    > I just installed Mandrake 9.1 on my pentium 1 166 MHz PC.
    > It works all fine but just before Mandrake boots this messages appear:
    >
    > hda: timeout waiting for DM
    > hda: timeout waiting for DM
    > hda: drive not ready for command
    >
    > The computer hangs for a short time and then it goes on whitout any
    > problems.
    > What is this.
    > I read some on the newsgroupe that this could mean that my disk is
    > broken? I read about doing something wrong when compiling the kernel,
    > but I just used all the standarts from the installer.
    >
    > Another thing is that my computer has been broken a and I have
    > replaced the computer and saved the disk. Could this have anything to
    > do with it?
    >
    > I sure don't hope my disk is broken but if if it is I would like too
    > have a warning about it. Pleace help me, I don't know where to start.
    > I will send log prints if needed.
    >

    > Venlig hilsen Kresten.
    > Denmark

    Since you said that your computer is already broken before your hdd
    was, this seems to be a defect in power input to your computer. Most
    computer users not aware of the ground connection in the power supply
    input to the system. If the earth connection is not presented, or
    bad, it will surely strike your motherboard, processor, monitor and
    hdd. Some times the hdd may become defective, if you move and shake
    the system cabinet while it is running. Don't mis handle the hdds
    handle with care.
    The not read from hdd error can be overcome by low level formetting it
    using disk manager for seagate dlg for western digital alike softwares
    mostly given with the softwares. Some other bad sector removal
    softwares are also available in the net as free or shareware. Have a
    confidence, your hdd can be repaired and usuable has a secondary
    storage device.

+ Reply to Thread