RPM depository - Questions

This is a discussion on RPM depository - Questions ; I am a newbie to Redhat linux. For me, even the simplest thing to do in Windows ( installing a media player program Xine ) takes a lot more efforts in Redhat. I am tired of finding all packages manually ...

  1. RPM depository

    I am a newbie to Redhat linux. For me, even the simplest thing to do
    in Windows ( installing a media player program Xine ) takes a lot more
    efforts in Redhat. I am tired of finding all packages manually to
    resolve failed dependencies. So is there an easier way? Can someone
    tell me if Mandrake's rpmdrake has automatic dependency resolution and
    searchable RPM index(not just local CD-ROM but also RPM's on the
    Internet)? I know there's a subscription fee $120/yr, so is there
    something similar for free for Redhat? Thanks.

    Charles

  2. Re: RPM depository

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:47:43 -0800, terminator800tlgm@hotmail.com typed:

    > I am a newbie to Redhat linux. For me, even the simplest thing to do in
    > Windows ( installing a media player program Xine ) takes a lot more
    > efforts in Redhat. I am tired of finding all packages manually to
    > resolve failed dependencies. So is there an easier way? Can someone
    > tell me if Mandrake's rpmdrake has automatic dependency resolution and
    > searchable RPM index(not just local CD-ROM but also RPM's on the
    > Internet)? I know there's a subscription fee $120/yr, so is there
    > something similar for free for Redhat? Thanks.

    Yes, it's very simple a matter of fact. Install apt/synaptic or yum, both
    available with instructions from;

    http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. Re: RPM depository

    terminator800tlgm@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I am a newbie to Redhat linux. For me, even the simplest thing to do
    > in Windows ( installing a media player program Xine ) takes a lot more
    > efforts in Redhat. I am tired of finding all packages manually to
    > resolve failed dependencies. So is there an easier way? Can someone
    > tell me if Mandrake's rpmdrake has automatic dependency resolution and
    > searchable RPM index(not just local CD-ROM but also RPM's on the
    > Internet)? I know there's a subscription fee $120/yr, so is there
    > something similar for free for Redhat? Thanks.
    >
    > Charles

    Google for apt4rpm - its very easy and works 99% of the time.

    Jesus didn't just save the world, He made weekly offsite backups.

+ Reply to Thread