Making a link to a dir on another partition - Questions

This is a discussion on Making a link to a dir on another partition - Questions ; I got a partition /dev/hda5 (of type vfat) and I can mount it and r/w to it okay (even as a user). When it is mounted, the destination folder is /mnt/files (I don't know how to explain "destination folder" better ...

  1. Making a link to a dir on another partition

    I got a partition /dev/hda5 (of type vfat) and I can mount it and r/w
    to it okay (even as a user).

    When it is mounted, the destination folder is /mnt/files (I don't know
    how to explain "destination folder" better than the folder that
    receives the device data when it's mounted).

    In /mnt/files I got a directory called web.

    I want to have a link to that folder from my linux partition. Even
    though making links works from inside my linux partition, I got a
    problem making a link to that vfat partition.

    Here's what I do:

    $ cd ~/data
    $ link web /mnt/files/web
    link: cannot create link `web' to `/mnt/files/web': Invalid cross
    device link.

    I don't know what to do to solve that... Is there a way? If yes, what
    is it?

    TIA,
    cmad

  2. Re: Making a link to a dir on another partition

    "Chris Mantoulidis" wrote in message
    news:a8587dd9.0401240541.79415dba@posting.google.c om

    > Here's what I do:
    >
    > $ cd ~/data
    > $ link web /mnt/files/web
    > link: cannot create link `web' to `/mnt/files/web': Invalid cross
    > device link.
    >
    > I don't know what to do to solve that... Is there a way? If yes, what
    > is it?

    $ cd ~/data
    $ ln -s /mnt/files/web web

    "man ln" for more information.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  3. Re: Making a link to a dir on another partition

    On 05:41 24 Jan 2004, Chris Mantoulidis wrote:
    | I got a partition /dev/hda5 (of type vfat) and I can mount it and r/w
    | to it okay (even as a user).
    | When it is mounted, the destination folder is /mnt/files (I don't know
    | how to explain "destination folder" better than the folder that
    | receives the device data when it's mounted).

    The correct term is "mount point" i.e. the point in the main filesystem where
    the root of the new filesystem is mounted.

    | In /mnt/files I got a directory called web.
    |
    | I want to have a link to that folder from my linux partition. Even
    | though making links works from inside my linux partition, I got a
    | problem making a link to that vfat partition.
    |
    | Here's what I do:
    |
    | $ cd ~/data
    | $ link web /mnt/files/web
    | link: cannot create link `web' to `/mnt/files/web': Invalid cross
    | device link.

    You need a symbolic link (aka a soft link).

    A hard link is fundamentally a with-one-filesystem notion: it's another
    name entry for a particular inode. It's entirely self contained, and
    thus cannot talk about something on another filesystem.

    A symbolic link is a special type of file that contains the path
    to another file. It may thus talk about any item on any mounted
    filesystem. It is also "weaker", in that it's go no hard tie to the
    target, which may move or be deleted, and the symbolic link won't magicly
    track. By contrast, a hard link is an inode reference, and an inode's
    contents only get deleted when all the hard links are removed. Likewise,
    moving it doesn't break it.

    Cheers,
    --
    Cameron Simpson DoD#743
    http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

    Of course no description of a Ducati engine is complete without mentioning
    the sound. That deep bass exhaust rumble along with the mechanical music of
    the desmodromic valves...too bad it isn't available on compact disc.
    - Sport Rider, evidently before the release of the "Ducati Passions" CD

+ Reply to Thread