searching the net - Questions

This is a discussion on searching the net - Questions ; Ok so this questiong maybe alittle to deep for this place, but didnt know where to start and I could try irc but dont know of a good server to go to. Anyway I keep reading in many of my ...

  1. searching the net

    Ok so this questiong maybe alittle to deep for this place, but didnt know
    where to start and I could try irc but dont know of a good server to go to.
    Anyway I keep reading in many of my scifi books how the person is at their
    computer and they have their programs out on the net looking for what they
    really need. I guess it would be called data mining. So since I'm trying
    to cut back on my google useage, I thought that maybe I could write my own
    program to search the net, not something at quick at google but something
    that would give back meaningful results that would talke a few days. I
    hear perl is a good place to start on such things. So what are you
    thoughts?

    David

  2. Re: searching the net

    David wrote:
    "Anyway I keep reading in many of my scifi books how the person is at
    their computer and they have their programs out on the net looking for
    what they really need. I guess it would be called data mining."

    No, "data mining", also called "knowledge discovery in databases", is
    more of a statistical process. Please see definitions of "data
    mining", such as:

    http://www.hyperdictionary.com/computing/data+mining
    http://www.bartleby.com/59/23/datamining.html
    http://www.oracle.com/ip/dm_definition.html

    Before the term became totally misused, what you're describing would
    have been called an "intelligent agent". These days, everything is an
    "agent".

    -Will Dwinnell
    http://will.dwinnell.com

+ Reply to Thread