Xhosting on Linux 9 - Questions

This is a discussion on Xhosting on Linux 9 - Questions ; Hello I'm new to using Linux but I do have some earlier experience with HP-UX and Solaris. I'm interested in setting up a Linux machine on my home network and using an X-host client program on my PC to access ...

  1. Xhosting on Linux 9

    Hello

    I'm new to using Linux but I do have some earlier experience with HP-UX and
    Solaris. I'm interested in setting up a Linux machine on my home network and
    using an X-host client program on my PC to access it. I only have one
    monitor and I don't want to have to keep switching the video cable back and
    forth between the boxes. I've set up the Linux (RedHat 9) box in High
    Security mode. I'm using a DHCP network connection. On my PC, I'm trying to
    use the free version of Xmanager to connect to the Linux box. I remember
    reading in the installation prompt that in High Security mode, by default,
    you would not be able to connect with X clients but you could customize it
    by specifying the ports that you want to permit access to. I can't find
    information on how to do that, though. Can anyone offer advice on how to use
    a PC X-Window client to access a Linux machine on a private home network?

    TIA

  2. Re: Xhosting on Linux 9

    Bugenhagen wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I'm new to using Linux but I do have some earlier experience with HP-UX
    > and Solaris. I'm interested in setting up a Linux machine on my home
    > network and using an X-host client program on my PC to access it. I only
    > have one monitor and I don't want to have to keep switching the video
    > cable back and forth between the boxes. I've set up the Linux (RedHat 9)
    > box in High Security mode. I'm using a DHCP network connection. On my PC,
    > I'm trying to use the free version of Xmanager to connect to the Linux
    > box. I remember reading in the installation prompt that in High Security
    > mode, by default, you would not be able to connect with X clients but you
    > could customize it by specifying the ports that you want to permit access
    > to. I can't find information on how to do that, though. Can anyone offer
    > advice on how to use a PC X-Window client to access a Linux machine on a
    > private home network?
    >
    > TIA

    To start with, try VNC - its pretty cool, and relativly fast. Why are you
    using "High Security" on a home network ,or are you not firewalled at all?
    Why not just get a 2 port KVM?

    Jesus didn't just save the world, He made weekly offsite backups.

+ Reply to Thread