help choosing Linux-distribution - Questions

This is a discussion on help choosing Linux-distribution - Questions ; Well, I have a fairly recent computer, and have some problems in installing Linux. I've tried Knoppix 2, Red Hat Linux 8.0 and Suse 6.4 Knoppix 2 : I can't start Knoppix (purchased CD) Red Hat 8.0: Install doesn't start ...

  1. help choosing Linux-distribution

    Well, I have a fairly recent computer, and have some problems in
    installing Linux. I've tried Knoppix 2, Red Hat Linux 8.0 and Suse 6.4
    Knoppix 2 : I can't start Knoppix (purchased CD)
    Red Hat 8.0: Install doesn't start up (maybe it's the CD, free CD with
    magazine)
    Suse 6.4 : installs fine, then it complains it can't find an
    AT-keyboard.

    Which distribution will support my system? (Please keep in mind, I'm a
    Linux-newbie.)
    System
    -------
    AthlonXP2600+
    512 MB DDR-RAM
    Asrock K7S8X Motherboard
    XFX Graphics card (GE Force FX5200 equivalent)
    HDD: 120GB/2MB cache
    DVD-Player
    CD-RW drive
    Iiyama 19" CRT
    Canon i560
    Pinnacle PCTV Rave-card
    -------

  2. Re: help choosing Linux-distribution

    galaxian_9@yahoo.com (galaxian_9) wrote in message news:...
    > Well, I have a fairly recent computer, and have some problems in
    > installing Linux. I've tried Knoppix 2, Red Hat Linux 8.0 and Suse 6.4
    > Knoppix 2 : I can't start Knoppix (purchased CD)
    > Red Hat 8.0: Install doesn't start up (maybe it's the CD, free CD with
    > magazine)
    > Suse 6.4 : installs fine, then it complains it can't find an
    > AT-keyboard.

    Those are all >really< old distributions. Try going with something
    released in the last 6 months or so.

    For a beginner, Mandrake is quite good. You'll want version 9.2

    http://www.mandrake.com

  3. Re: help choosing Linux-distribution

    comeand@kissmyfatarse.com (Mattias Honrendgard) wrote in message news:...
    > galaxian_9@yahoo.com (galaxian_9) wrote in message news:...
    > > Well, I have a fairly recent computer, and have some problems in
    > > installing Linux. I've tried Knoppix 2, Red Hat Linux 8.0 and Suse 6.4
    > > Knoppix 2 : I can't start Knoppix (purchased CD)
    > > Red Hat 8.0: Install doesn't start up (maybe it's the CD, free CD with
    > > magazine)
    > > Suse 6.4 : installs fine, then it complains it can't find an
    > > AT-keyboard.

    > Those are all >really< old distributions. Try going with something
    > released in the last 6 months or so.
    >
    > For a beginner, Mandrake is quite good. You'll want version 9.2
    >
    > http://www.mandrake.com

    I tried Mandrake 9.2 and I found very easu and nice, excellent
    community support. Go to distrowatch.com to get an idea of various
    distributions.
    SS

+ Reply to Thread