Ideas? - Questions

This is a discussion on Ideas? - Questions ; I know this may not be the "correct" topic for this NG, however I have read with interest most of your posts for the better part of a year and now I need some ideas. I am looking for a ...

  1. Ideas?

    I know this may not be the "correct" topic for this NG, however I have read
    with interest most of your posts for the better part of a year and now I
    need some ideas.

    I am looking for a "poor man's NAS"...I just can't believe that there isn't
    a unit out there, say from Linksys or D-Link, that has a configurable
    web-based RAM that allows you to add 2, 3, 4 hard drives and make a
    cost-effective storage solution! I mean, they have Linux-based
    Gateways/Firewalls and VPN's, why not NAS?

    Anyway, I've googled to no avail and was wondering if there is another
    solution that I am missing. Such as a Linux-based ISO image that you use
    old PC parts with some hard drives and BINGO, you've got a NAS configurable
    via web browser!

    Thanks in advance!

    DM

    P.S. Email me for further explanation if I've not made myself clear!

  2. Re: Ideas?

    Dave Mitchel wrote:
    > I know this may not be the "correct" topic for this NG, however I have read
    > with interest most of your posts for the better part of a year and now I
    > need some ideas.
    >
    > I am looking for a "poor man's NAS"...I just can't believe that there isn't
    > a unit out there, say from Linksys or D-Link, that has a configurable
    > web-based RAM that allows you to add 2, 3, 4 hard drives and make a
    > cost-effective storage solution! I mean, they have Linux-based
    > Gateways/Firewalls and VPN's, why not NAS?
    >
    > Anyway, I've googled to no avail and was wondering if there is another
    > solution that I am missing. Such as a Linux-based ISO image that you use
    > old PC parts with some hard drives and BINGO, you've got a NAS configurable
    > via web browser!
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > DM
    >
    > P.S. Email me for further explanation if I've not made myself clear!

    Depending on how you want to farm the storage out to your clients, there
    are lots of solutions available. If you just want a big storage array
    farmed out as a big NFS mount, then you can use a machine with a few ide
    or scsi controllers, and use LVM (software raid) to gang them together
    as one big drive, exported via NFS. You can even gang multiple machines
    together using iscsi if you like. If you want a sligly more complicated
    /more scalable solution, you may want to look into OpenAFS, or some of
    its alternatives like coda, or lustre.

    HTH
    Neil

    --
    Neil Horman
    Red Hat, Inc., http://people.redhat.com/nhorman

  3. Re: Ideas?

    Hi Dave,

    "Dave Mitchel" schrieb in
    news:6A8Pb.32483$P%1.25645702@newssvr28.news.prodi gy.com:

    > I am looking for a "poor man's NAS"...I just can't believe that
    > there isn't a unit out there, say from Linksys or D-Link, that
    > has a configurable web-based RAM that allows you to add 2, 3, 4
    > hard drives and make a cost-effective storage solution! I mean,
    > they have Linux-based Gateways/Firewalls and VPN's, why not NAS?

    Because of the price? A simple PC suitable for this task is about 250
    EUR (310$). Thats hard to beat.

    Regards, Kurt

    --
    PiN - Prńsenz im Netz GITmbH
    Kurt Harders

  4. Re: Ideas?

    Dave Mitchel wrote:

    > I know this may not be the "correct" topic for this NG, however I have
    > read with interest most of your posts for the better part of a year and
    > now I need some ideas.
    >
    > I am looking for a "poor man's NAS"...I just can't believe that there
    > isn't a unit out there, say from Linksys or D-Link, that has a
    > configurable web-based RAM that allows you to add 2, 3, 4 hard drives and
    > make a
    > cost-effective storage solution! I mean, they have Linux-based
    > Gateways/Firewalls and VPN's, why not NAS?
    >
    > Anyway, I've googled to no avail and was wondering if there is another
    > solution that I am missing. Such as a Linux-based ISO image that you use
    > old PC parts with some hard drives and BINGO, you've got a NAS
    > configurable via web browser!

    Well, you could roll your own with an old PC and almost any Linux distro.
    How fancy you get, is up to you.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  5. Re: Ideas?

    Dave Mitchel wrote:

    > I know this may not be the "correct" topic for this NG, however I have
    > read with interest most of your posts for the better part of a year and
    > now I need some ideas.
    >
    > I am looking for a "poor man's NAS"...I just can't believe that there
    > isn't a unit out there, say from Linksys or D-Link, that has a
    > configurable web-based RAM that allows you to add 2, 3, 4 hard drives and
    > make a
    > cost-effective storage solution! I mean, they have Linux-based
    > Gateways/Firewalls and VPN's, why not NAS?
    >
    > Anyway, I've googled to no avail and was wondering if there is another
    > solution that I am missing. Such as a Linux-based ISO image that you use
    > old PC parts with some hard drives and BINGO, you've got a NAS
    > configurable via web browser!
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > DM
    >
    > P.S. Email me for further explanation if I've not made myself clear!

    Quantum did with their "Snap drives". They charge way too much for them
    though. I would buy a via mini-itx mainboard, EPIA 5000, 500MHz fanless,
    network, usb, etc on board, two ide ports about $100. Stick 4 ide drives
    in it and load linux and samba.

+ Reply to Thread