Slow internet - Questions

This is a discussion on Slow internet - Questions ; I am having trouble with slow internet access. I have a Shuttle XPC currently running redhat fedora, but I had the same problem with Mandrake 9.1. This box also has Windows 2000 and also on the LAN is a Dell ...

  1. Slow internet

    I am having trouble with slow internet access. I have a Shuttle XPC
    currently running redhat fedora, but I had the same problem with
    Mandrake 9.1. This box also has Windows 2000 and also on the LAN is a
    Dell Dimension running WinXPpro. The LAN uses a Linksys
    router/firewall (NAT) and then connects to the internet via cable
    modem. The Windows systems are both getting about 540 kbps on
    numion.com. Using Linux it is about 10 times slower! I have tried
    Mozilla, Konqueror, and Opera....all the same results. The box picks
    up IP via the router's DHCP and it seems to have the right DNS entries
    and route shows the right gateway address. I don't think this is a DNS
    problem. Also, even trying to use the redhat update utility is
    unbearable slow, so I don't think it's just http (but I'm not
    completely sure of this). This seems to be some problem between Linux
    and my router, but I'm not sure of that either. I have played with
    various Linux distros for several years, but I don't use it full time
    and am not a Linux expert. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Slow internet

    gladelson@chartertn.net (gladelson) wrote in message news:<21412037.0401181347.2f7e4dbc@posting.google.com>...
    > I am having trouble with slow internet access. I have a Shuttle XPC
    > currently running redhat fedora, but I had the same problem with
    > Mandrake 9.1. This box also has Windows 2000 and also on the LAN is a
    > Dell Dimension running WinXPpro. The LAN uses a Linksys
    > router/firewall (NAT) and then connects to the internet via cable
    > modem. The Windows systems are both getting about 540 kbps on
    > numion.com. Using Linux it is about 10 times slower! I have tried
    > Mozilla, Konqueror, and Opera....all the same results. The box picks
    > up IP via the router's DHCP and it seems to have the right DNS entries
    > and route shows the right gateway address. I don't think this is a DNS
    > problem. Also, even trying to use the redhat update utility is
    > unbearable slow, so I don't think it's just http (but I'm not
    > completely sure of this). This seems to be some problem between Linux
    > and my router, but I'm not sure of that either. I have played with
    > various Linux distros for several years, but I don't use it full time
    > and am not a Linux expert. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Well, for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure now that this isn't a DNS
    problem. Using the nslookup and dig utilities, the linux system
    appears to resolve names as fast as the Windows systems. Also, I tried
    timing an FTP download from my personal Web space and it was about the
    same for both OSes (maybe even a little faster under linux). So, at
    this point the problem seems to be limited to Web browsing (http).
    Anyone have a clue?

  3. Re: Slow internet

    gladelson@chartertn.net (gladelson) wrote in message news:<21412037.0401181347.2f7e4dbc@posting.google.com>...
    > I am having trouble with slow internet access. I have a Shuttle XPC
    > currently running redhat fedora, but I had the same problem with
    > Mandrake 9.1. This box also has Windows 2000 and also on the LAN is a
    > Dell Dimension running WinXPpro. The LAN uses a Linksys
    > router/firewall (NAT) and then connects to the internet via cable
    > modem. The Windows systems are both getting about 540 kbps on
    > numion.com. Using Linux it is about 10 times slower! I have tried
    > Mozilla, Konqueror, and Opera....all the same results. The box picks
    > up IP via the router's DHCP and it seems to have the right DNS entries
    > and route shows the right gateway address. I don't think this is a DNS
    > problem. Also, even trying to use the redhat update utility is
    > unbearable slow, so I don't think it's just http (but I'm not
    > completely sure of this). This seems to be some problem between Linux
    > and my router, but I'm not sure of that either. I have played with
    > various Linux distros for several years, but I don't use it full time
    > and am not a Linux expert. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Originally posted by gladelson
    I solved this problem! From reading some other posts, I came to
    suspect my router (a Linksys BEFSR41). The Linksys had the latest
    firmware but I thought it was time to upgrade. I got a Netgear FVS318
    and the difference is incredible. Now Web surfing from Linux is just
    as fast as Windows. I wish I knew exactly what the problem was between
    Linux and the Linksys router, but the problem is fixed (any Linux
    techies out there who might know what was happening?) By the way, the
    Netgear is a much more robust router anyway, so I am pretty happy all
    around.

+ Reply to Thread