Configuring keymappings for a Sun Type 6 keyboard under XF86 - Questions

This is a discussion on Configuring keymappings for a Sun Type 6 keyboard under XF86 - Questions ; Since I've had no response to this post in comp.os.linux.X I'll broaden my search in hopes that I can find some resolution. I've trolled usenet for this problem with no luck so I assume my error is something patently stupid. ...

  1. Configuring keymappings for a Sun Type 6 keyboard under XF86

    Since I've had no response to this post in comp.os.linux.X I'll
    broaden my search in hopes that I can find some resolution. I've
    trolled usenet for this problem with no luck so I assume my error is
    something patently stupid. I have an Ultra 5 with a Sun Type 6
    keyboard running the latest release of Gentoo. After building XF86
    v.4.3.0 I find that the keymappings are not entirely correct. When I
    start X I find that many keys are correctly mapped, however
    approximately 20% of the keys are not correctly mapped leading to very
    undesireable behavior. I've enclosed a copy of my XF86Config file for
    your perusal and the most relevant part of the XFree86.log file. Any
    assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    ------------------------------- XF86Config
    ----------------------------
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "dri"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "record"
    Load "xtrap"
    Load "glx"
    Load "speedo"
    Load "type1"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "keyboard"

    Option "XkbModel" "sun_type6"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us(sun_type6)"
    Option "XkbSymbols" "us(sun_type6)"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Viewsonic"
    ModelName "17GS"
    HorizSync 30-69
    VertRefresh 50-160
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    ### Values: : integer, : float, : "True"/"False",
    ### : "String", : " Hz/kHz/MHz"
    ### [arg]: arg optional
    #Option "accel" # []
    #Option "crt_display" # []
    #Option "composite_sync" # []
    #Option "hw_cursor" # []
    #Option "mmio_cache" # []
    #Option "panel_display" # []
    #Option "probe_clocks" # []
    #Option "reference_clock" #
    #Option "shadow_fb" # []
    #Option "sw_cursor" # []
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "ati"
    VendorName "ATI"
    BoardName "3D Rage I/II 215GT [Mach64 GT]"
    ChipSet "ati"
    ChipId 0x4754
    ChipRev 0x9a
    BusID "PCI:1:2:0"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    #Option "composite_sync" # []
    #Option "hw_cursor" # []
    #Option "mmio_cache" # []
    #Option "panel_display" # []
    #Option "probe_clocks" # []
    #Option "reference_clock" #
    #Option "shadow_fb" # []
    #Option "sw_cursor" # []
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "ati"
    VendorName "ATI"
    BoardName "3D Rage I/II 215GT [Mach64 GT]"
    ChipSet "ati"
    ChipId 0x4754
    ChipRev 0x9a
    BusID "PCI:1:2:0"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    ------------------------------- End XF86Config
    -----------------------------

    -------------------------- /var/log/XF86.0.log
    -----------------------------

    (**) Option "Protocol" "auto"
    (**) Mouse0: Protocol: "auto"
    (**) Option "CorePointer"
    (**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    (**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
    (==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
    (II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    (II) Server_Terminate keybinding not found
    (II) Mouse autoprobe: selecting MouseSystems protocol
    --------------------------- End /var/log/XF86.0.log
    -------------------------

  2. Re: Configuring keymappings for a Sun Type 6 keyboard under XF86

    "Fearless Entropy" wrote in message
    news:7955ba1b.0401172233.4d5922bf@posting.google.c om

    > I have an Ultra 5 with a Sun Type 6
    > keyboard running the latest release of Gentoo. After building XF86
    > v.4.3.0 I find that the keymappings are not entirely correct. When I
    > start X I find that many keys are correctly mapped, however
    > approximately 20% of the keys are not correctly mapped leading to very
    > undesireable behavior. I've enclosed a copy of my XF86Config file for
    > your perusal and the most relevant part of the XFree86.log file. Any
    > assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    [...]
    > -------------------------- /var/log/XF86.0.log

    [...]
    > (II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
    > (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
    > Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    > (II) Server_Terminate keybinding not found

    [...]
    > --------------------------- End /var/log/XF86.0.log

    Although this page is directed towards users of the Sun Type 6 USB keyboard,
    the section entitled "Patching the X Server" may be useful to you:

    http://www.infosun.fmi.uni-passau.de/~nils/type6/

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  3. Re: Configuring keymappings for a Sun Type 6 keyboard under XF86

    > Although this page is directed towards users of the Sun Type 6 USB keyboard,
    > the section entitled "Patching the X Server" may be useful to you:
    >
    > http://www.infosun.fmi.uni-passau.de/~nils/type6/
    >

    > tony

    As the patches apply to 4.0.1 and 4.0.3 respectively, I'm concerned
    about applying them to 4.3.0.

  4. Re: Configuring keymappings for a Sun Type 6 keyboard under XF86

    "Fearless Entropy" wrote in message
    news:7955ba1b.0401180847.159c54e5@posting.google.c om

    >> Although this page is directed towards users of the Sun Type 6 USB
    >> keyboard, the section entitled "Patching the X Server" may be useful
    >> to you:
    >> http://www.infosun.fmi.uni-passau.de/~nils/type6/

    > As the patches apply to 4.0.1 and 4.0.3 respectively, I'm concerned
    > about applying them to 4.3.0.

    If you have the source for 4.3.0, it isn't much of a task to make the
    line-numbering edits to the diff file that will address the lines in the
    newer source code. This is a fairly simple diff file as such things go.

    "cat -n xf86Events.c" will show the current line-numbering to address. A
    study of "man patch" and the line edits in the patch will suggest what
    changes need to be made, if one feels up to the task, but patch will
    actually deal fairly well with incorrect line numbers and search for the
    appropriate chunk of code which matches.

    Make a backup of the source code tree before you start, and experiment a wee
    bit to see if you can solve the problem. You might be pleasantly surprised
    at how easy it is.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies