Configuring terminal properly for Linux boot floppy? - Questions

This is a discussion on Configuring terminal properly for Linux boot floppy? - Questions ; I am using Linux in an environment where I need to be able to boot my custom kernel from a floppy disk and all the binaries/libraries needed must also fit on a floppy. I have the bootable floppy disk and ...

  1. Configuring terminal properly for Linux boot floppy?

    I am using Linux in an environment where I need to be able to boot my
    custom kernel from a floppy disk and all the binaries/libraries needed
    must also fit on a floppy.

    I have the bootable floppy disk and it works fine but I am now running
    into problems when I try to use any programs that use ncurses or needs
    to display text in various forms to the terminal (such as a
    full-screen text editor).

    Does anyone know what configuration files/scripts or binaries I need
    to setup TERM=linux properly for editors such as CE
    (http://freshmeat.net/projects/ce/?topic_id=63) to work properly?

    I'm using a recent Linux 2.4.x kernel, with an INITRD and executing
    ash as my default shell when the floppy boots (I have also tried bash
    but same problems).

    So does anyone out there know what I need to add or run in order to
    get the terminal setup properly for this kind of editor to work?

    Thanks,
    Jeff.

  2. Re: Configuring terminal properly for Linux boot floppy?

    Bill Marcum wrote in message news:...

    > You probably need terminfo. Most Linux distributions include dozens of
    > terminfo files, but you would just need /etc/terminfo/l/linux or
    > /usr/share/terminfo/l/linux (on a typical Linux box, one might be a
    > symlink to the other).

    Thanks Bill, much appreciated. That is exactly what I needed. I
    created a /usr/share/terminfo/l/linux on the floppy (1.5k file) and it
    worked perfectly after that.

    Best regards,
    Jeff.

+ Reply to Thread