Time Server Application - Questions

This is a discussion on Time Server Application - Questions ; I'm running SuSE 9 and KDE and was looking for a tool that will sync my clock with one of the many NTP time servers made available by NIST and others. I have used D4Time in the past and currently ...

  1. Time Server Application

    I'm running SuSE 9 and KDE and was looking for a tool that will sync
    my clock with one of the many NTP time servers made available by NIST
    and others. I have used D4Time in the past and currently use nistime
    under Windows, but haven't had any luck in finding a Linux app to do
    the same.

    Where might I find such a tool?
    Thanks.
    Bill Lugg

  2. Re: Time Server Application

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 05:39:53 -0800, William Lugg typed:

    > I'm running SuSE 9 and KDE and was looking for a tool that will sync my
    > clock with one of the many NTP time servers made available by NIST and
    > others. I have used D4Time in the past and currently use nistime under
    > Windows, but haven't had any luck in finding a Linux app to do the same.
    >
    > Where might I find such a tool?

    Enable and configure the ntpd daemon, it's part of the distro and should
    already be available. Hint: right-click on the panel clock in KDE and
    choose 'Adjust Date & Time...'

    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. Re: Time Server Application

    "William Lugg" wrote in message
    news:b363df10.0401150539.2db30b4a@posting.google.c om

    > I'm running SuSE 9 and KDE and was looking for a tool that will sync
    > my clock with one of the many NTP time servers made available by NIST
    > and others. I have used D4Time in the past and currently use nistime
    > under Windows, but haven't had any luck in finding a Linux app to do
    > the same.
    >
    > Where might I find such a tool?

    The Network Time Protocol can be had at http://www.ntp.org/

    Choose a time server near you from the list. I use a cron job to keep the
    system and hardware clocks synch'd hourly:

    23 * * * * ( /usr/sbin/ntpdate 128.105.39.11; /usr/sbin/hwclock --systohc ) > /dev/null 2>&1

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  4. Re: Time Server Application

    I was under the impression that ntpd kept your clock from drifting too
    widely, and that such a cron job was not needed.
    Jesus didn't just save the world, He made weekly offsite backups.

  5. Re: Time Server Application

    "M2@M" wrote in message

    > I was under the impression that ntpd kept your clock from drifting too
    > widely, and that such a cron job was not needed.

    I don't run ntpd. I cron ntpdate. You are certainly free to run whatever
    utilities meet your needs, at whatever times suit you, or as a daemon.

    Or not.

    The OP's question was what and where to get it. It's assumed that they'll
    read the documentation and make their own choices as well.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  6. Re: Time Server Application

    Lenard commented:

    > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 05:39:53 -0800, William Lugg typed:
    >
    >> I'm running SuSE 9 and KDE and was looking for a tool that will sync my
    >> clock with one of the many NTP time servers made available by NIST and
    >> others. I have used D4Time in the past and currently use nistime under
    >> Windows, but haven't had any luck in finding a Linux app to do the same.
    >>
    >> Where might I find such a tool?

    > Enable and configure the ntpd daemon, it's part of the distro and should
    > already be available. Hint: right-click on the panel clock in KDE and
    > choose 'Adjust Date & Time...'
    >
    > http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html

    Is there a way for a Linux server to update a Windows client?

    --
    Dark Forest Mud
    http://www.darkforestmud.net

  7. Re: Time Server Application

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:33:05 -0600, "M2@M"
    wrote:

    >I was under the impression that ntpd kept your clock from drifting too
    >widely, and that such a cron job was not needed.

    Not unless you have ntpd set up to use an external time source...
    otherwise ntpd is just using your system clock as its 'authoritative'
    time source, which is self-defeating, to put it lightly.

    Mike-

    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.

  8. Re: Time Server Application

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:34:57 +0000, jcrowder typed:

    >> Enable and configure the ntpd daemon, it's part of the distro and
    >> should already be available. Hint: right-click on the panel clock in
    >> KDE and choose 'Adjust Date & Time...'
    >>
    >> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html
    >>

    > Is there a way for a Linux server to update a Windows client?

    Yep, read the link already provided and install/use any of the Windows ntp
    applications like NetTime, just use the Linux server's IP address.

    http://nettime.sourceforge.net/

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

+ Reply to Thread