Migrating to appropriate linux distribution - Questions

This is a discussion on Migrating to appropriate linux distribution - Questions ; I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously, but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a non-Bill operating ...

  1. Migrating to appropriate linux distribution

    I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously,
    but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or
    projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a
    non-Bill operating system for a home network. Their description of
    Fedora as "bleeding edge" sends me screaming from the room in fright.
    Their Enterprise is more expensive than Bill's XP, and does things I
    certainly don't need. Can anyone tell me what the current no brainer
    distribution is for the non-programming family man?

  2. Re: Migrating to appropriate linux distribution

    On 14 Jan 2004 15:30:26 -0800, Mike Holloway wrote:
    > I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously,
    > but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or
    > projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a
    > non-Bill operating system for a home network. Their description of
    > Fedora as "bleeding edge" sends me screaming from the room in fright.
    > Their Enterprise is more expensive than Bill's XP, and does things I
    > certainly don't need. Can anyone tell me what the current no brainer
    > distribution is for the non-programming family man?

    Mandrake or Suse.

  3. Re: Migrating to appropriate linux distribution

    Mike Holloway wrote:
    > I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously,
    > but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or
    > projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a
    > non-Bill operating system for a home network. Their description of
    > Fedora as "bleeding edge" sends me screaming from the room in fright.
    > Their Enterprise is more expensive than Bill's XP, and does things I
    > certainly don't need. Can anyone tell me what the current no brainer
    > distribution is for the non-programming family man?

    Mike--
    I have this week just completed a migration from Red Hat 9 (running
    since last May) to Fedora. I have both still installed on the same
    machine, but am now using Fedora for all intents and purposes - -

    I encountered no issues to speak of, and also installed Mandrake 9.2
    which is a very good distro as well, i just did not take the time to
    evaluate it completely, as everything with Fedora went so smoothly and
    still has all the RH tools and so on i am more familiar with.

    Anyways, I think Fedora is a fine choice for a home network and most of
    all the same packages are available for rpm, such as Firestarter for
    firewall, mozilla or firebird web browsers, KDE mail and news, and so on.

    --
    Regards,
    RodgerH

  4. Re: Migrating to appropriate linux distribution

    Mike Holloway wrote:

    > I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously,
    > but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or
    > projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a
    > non-Bill operating system for a home network. Their description of
    > Fedora as "bleeding edge" sends me screaming from the room in fright.
    > Their Enterprise is more expensive than Bill's XP, and does things I
    > certainly don't need. Can anyone tell me what the current no brainer
    > distribution is for the non-programming family man?

    Take a look at Suse 9.0!

  5. Re: Migrating to appropriate linux distribution

    Mike Holloway wrote:

    > I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously,
    > but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or
    > projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a
    > non-Bill operating system for a home network. Their description of
    > Fedora as "bleeding edge" sends me screaming from the room in fright.

    If all you "want is to run a non-Bill operating system for a home network",
    what's the matter with Fedora? If you're used to RedHat, you should feel
    somewhat comfortable with Fedora.

    Jesus didn't just save the world, He made weekly offsite backups.

  6. Re: Migrating to appropriate linux distribution

    same here not yet sure of upgrading

    mike_holloway@hotmail.com (Mike Holloway) wrote in message news:...
    > I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously,
    > but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or
    > projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a
    > non-Bill operating system for a home network. Their description of
    > Fedora as "bleeding edge" sends me screaming from the room in fright.
    > Their Enterprise is more expensive than Bill's XP, and does things I
    > certainly don't need. Can anyone tell me what the current no brainer
    > distribution is for the non-programming family man?

  7. Re: Migrating to appropriate linux distribution

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On 14 Jan 2004 15:30:26 -0800, Mike Holloway wrote:
    > > I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously,
    > > but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or
    > > projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a
    > > non-Bill operating system for a home network. Their description of
    > > Fedora as "bleeding edge" sends me screaming from the room in fright.
    > > Their Enterprise is more expensive than Bill's XP, and does things I
    > > certainly don't need. Can anyone tell me what the current no brainer
    > > distribution is for the non-programming family man?

    > Mandrake or Suse.

    I have Mandrake 9.2, thanks to last month's "Linux Format" magazine so I
    installed it and played around. Mandrake seems nice and I really liked the
    urpmi command. But their system update just drove me nuts. It seemed like if
    I did the logical thing and selected say, KDE updates that were available,
    then it would hose the system. Otherwise it's nice, but not as impressive as
    Suse.

    For a desktop user who just wants to get work done, and have very good
    plug-and-play wizards, Suse beats Mandrake hands down (try configuring a TV
    tuner card in Mandrake vs Suse and you'll see what I mean - in Suse it's
    easier than in Windows).

    --Keith

  8. Re: Migrating to appropriate linux distribution

    Mike Holloway wrote:

    > I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously,
    > but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or
    > projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a
    > non-Bill operating system for a home network. Their description of
    > Fedora as "bleeding edge" sends me screaming from the room in fright.
    > Their Enterprise is more expensive than Bill's XP, and does things I
    > certainly don't need. Can anyone tell me what the current no brainer
    > distribution is for the non-programming family man?

    Hi there,
    I tried Red Hat 9 on my system but it didn't work, it froze half way
    through boot up (the installation was repeated many times with different
    options, but always with the same result).

    I now have Gentoo, its a little complex to install but the installation
    document is good and after that it works a treat and just keeps on working.
    The support from the Gentoo discussion groups on their website is also
    excellent, they are very helpfull and knowledgable. Much better than the
    help you pay for when you buy a Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake distro. "Is your
    hardware on our supported hardware list? .. . No! Then I'm afraid I can't
    help you..."

    The Gentoo distro is rock solid, the ISO's are freely downloadable, that is
    if you can stand a 600Mb download. I am well pleased with it.

    I found it difficult to install but then I had little previous Linux
    experience. All my computer experienceis from using Windows, and before
    that DOS (and before that CP/M!). Most of my problems stemmed from my lack
    of experience. If you already have Linux experience then you should be able
    to tackle it without problems.

    The website is www.gentoo.org

    Regards

    PJM

  9. Re: Migrating to appropriate linux distribution

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:54:03 -0800, Keith Clark
    wrote:

    >Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On 14 Jan 2004 15:30:26 -0800, Mike Holloway wrote:
    >> > I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously,
    >> > but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or
    >> > projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a
    >> > non-Bill operating system for a home network. Their description of
    >> > Fedora as "bleeding edge" sends me screaming from the room in fright.
    >> > Their Enterprise is more expensive than Bill's XP, and does things I
    >> > certainly don't need. Can anyone tell me what the current no brainer
    >> > distribution is for the non-programming family man?

    >> Mandrake or Suse.

    >I have Mandrake 9.2, thanks to last month's "Linux Format" magazine so I
    >installed it and played around. Mandrake seems nice and I really liked the
    >urpmi command. But their system update just drove me nuts. It seemed like if
    >I did the logical thing and selected say, KDE updates that were available,
    >then it would hose the system. Otherwise it's nice, but not as impressive as
    >Suse.
    >
    >For a desktop user who just wants to get work done, and have very good
    >plug-and-play wizards, Suse beats Mandrake hands down (try configuring a TV
    >tuner card in Mandrake vs Suse and you'll see what I mean - in Suse it's
    >easier than in Windows).
    >
    >--Keith

    Unless they fixed it without telling anyone, there's a fairly severe
    problem in SuSE 9. After doing a whole lot more research than I ever
    wanted to, I discovered that SuSE shipped the module utilities set up
    for the 2.6.x kernel series, with some type of automatic fall-back to
    the correct module utilities if you're trying to work with the kernel
    2.4.x series.

    Unfortunately, the automatic fall-back is more like an automatic fall
    down - it doesn't work.

    The result is, if you install the -144 kernel update (via YOU), the
    kernel module path that is used is the default -99. In other words,
    you're using the modules that were built for the older (as shipped)
    kernel. If you try to manually upgrade kernels to any 2.4.x series
    kernel, you wind up with the same problem.. No matter what you do
    (unless you go thru and undo their clever idea completely, which is
    too much work to be worthwhile), you wind up using the as-shipped -99
    kernel modules. A wonderfully stable configuration... NOT.

    Luckily Mondo does a sanity check before it begins to backup, and that
    tipped me off. I had a hell of a time tracking this backwards because
    I assumed first that it was my error, then that there was a bug in
    Mondo. Only after all other possibilities were exhausted did I
    conclude that SuSE blew it. I'll wait for SuSE 9.1 before I try SuSE
    again, thanks.

    Mike-

    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.