backup to dvd - Questions

This is a discussion on backup to dvd - Questions ; Can someone point me in the direction of some tools for doing backups onto DVD-R or +R? Thanks!...

  1. backup to dvd

    Can someone point me in the direction of some tools for doing backups onto
    DVD-R or +R?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: backup to dvd

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:00:47 GMT, Michael Lodman
    wrote:

    >Can someone point me in the direction of some tools for doing backups onto
    >DVD-R or +R?
    >
    >Thanks!

    google "DVD backup linux"

    Mike-

    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.

  3. Re: backup to dvd

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:21:18 +0100, Robert Brendel
    wrote:

    >> Can someone point me in the direction of some tools for doing backups onto
    >> DVD-R or +R?

    >tar -cj /path | mkisofs | cdrecord dev=1,1,0
    >
    >Robert

    The new (2.5) afio and growifs. Or Mondo, which allows bare metal
    restore.

    Mike-
    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.

  4. Re: backup to dvd

    Michael Lodman wrote in message news:<554409613221d50b5ec9931552bf1b88@news.teranews.com>...
    > Can someone point me in the direction of some tools for doing backups onto
    > DVD-R or +R?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Here are a few tools:
    http://discomatic.sourceforge.net/index.php
    http://regis.port5.com/tkdvd/

    Here is some info on it, plus the base package you'll need:
    http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

    Aragorn
    Admin GetLinuxOnline.Com
    http://www.getlinuxonline.com

  5. Re: backup to dvd

    > >Can someone point me in the direction of some tools for doing backups onto
    > >DVD-R or +R?
    > >
    > >Thanks!

    > google "DVD backup linux"
    >
    > Mike-

    That would be too easy. As would looking on freshmeat. The OP wants
    you to do the searching for him.

    I quite like this one:

    http://www.k3b.org/

  6. Re: backup to dvd

    comeand@kissmyfatarse.com (Mattias Honrendgard) wrote in
    news:dd394218.0401141404.3f9bc288@posting.google.c om:

    >> >Can someone point me in the direction of some tools for doing
    >> >backups onto DVD-R or +R?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks!

    >> google "DVD backup linux"
    >>
    >> Mike-
    >>

    > That would be too easy. As would looking on freshmeat. The OP wants
    > you to do the searching for him.

    I did do a google seach. I got back a ton of results on backing up video
    dvds.

    > I quite like this one:
    >
    > http://www.k3b.org/

    Thanks

  7. Re: backup to dvd

    [snips]

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:11:45 +0000, Michael Lodman wrote:

    >> That would be too easy. As would looking on freshmeat. The OP wants
    >> you to do the searching for him.

    > I did do a google seach. I got back a ton of results on backing up video
    > dvds.
    >
    >> I quite like this one:
    >>
    >> http://www.k3b.org/

    And it ain't quite as easy as it sounds, either. I've been looking for
    decent backup options for CDR for about a week now.

    "Decent" here involves a couple of key points. First, it should be able
    to be handed a directory (or set of them) and walk into them, collecting
    the files to be backed up. Second, it should be able to understand that
    not everything will fit on a single 700Mb CD, and partition the backup
    appropriately. Third, if possible, it should compress the data as it's
    being written. It would also be nice if it "got" incremental backups.

    K3B is great for burning CDs... not so good for backups; it simply tosses
    up its hands in disgust at the notion of trying to cope with 11Gb of data
    and 700Mb blanks.

    About the best option I've seen so far is making a tarball, using split,
    then writing the chunks. To me, this seems like an excessively ugly
    solution.

    Still looking.

  8. Re: backup to dvd

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:05:11 -0800,
    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > [snips]
    >
    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:11:45 +0000, Michael Lodman wrote:
    >
    >>> That would be too easy. As would looking on freshmeat. The OP wants
    >>> you to do the searching for him.

    >> I did do a google seach. I got back a ton of results on backing up video
    >> dvds.
    >>
    >>> I quite like this one:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.k3b.org/

    > And it ain't quite as easy as it sounds, either. I've been looking for
    > decent backup options for CDR for about a week now.
    >
    > "Decent" here involves a couple of key points. First, it should be able
    > to be handed a directory (or set of them) and walk into them, collecting
    > the files to be backed up. Second, it should be able to understand that
    > not everything will fit on a single 700Mb CD, and partition the backup
    > appropriately. Third, if possible, it should compress the data as it's
    > being written. It would also be nice if it "got" incremental backups.
    >
    > K3B is great for burning CDs... not so good for backups; it simply tosses
    > up its hands in disgust at the notion of trying to cope with 11Gb of data
    > and 700Mb blanks.
    >
    > About the best option I've seen so far is making a tarball, using split,
    > then writing the chunks. To me, this seems like an excessively ugly
    > solution.
    >
    > Still looking.

    Look into backup2l.

    Description within deb package follows.
    - -
    - --
    - ---
    backup2l [backup-too-l] is a tool for autonomously generating, maintaining
    and restoring backups on a mountable file system (e. g. hard disk). In a
    default installation, backups are created regularly by a cron script.

  9. Re: backup to dvd

    Clinging to sanity, Kelsey Bjarnason mumbled into her beard:
    > About the best option I've seen so far is making a tarball, using split,
    > then writing the chunks. To me, this seems like an excessively ugly
    > solution.

    Start with Amanda...

    Amanda, the Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver, is a
    backup system that allows the administrator of a LAN to set up a
    single master backup server to back up multiple hosts to a single
    large capacity tape drive. Amanda uses native dump and/or GNU tar
    facilities and can back up a large number of workstations running
    multiple versions of Unix. Recent versions can also use SAMBA to back
    up Microsoft Windows hosts.

    Add in Tivano's "Amanda CDRW-taper"

    We use Amanda to backup various systems at work, albeit not using the
    "cdrw-taper" package.

    Note that there are Debian packages for all of this, so it has been
    used enough to make it worth packaging...
    --
    select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/backup.html

  10. Re: backup to dvd

    wrote:

    >[snips]
    >
    >On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:11:45 +0000, Michael Lodman wrote:
    >
    >>> That would be too easy. As would looking on freshmeat. The OP wants
    >>> you to do the searching for him.

    >> I did do a google seach. I got back a ton of results on backing up video
    >> dvds.
    >>
    >>> I quite like this one:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.k3b.org/

    >And it ain't quite as easy as it sounds, either. I've been looking for
    >decent backup options for CDR for about a week now.
    >
    >"Decent" here involves a couple of key points. First, it should be able
    >to be handed a directory (or set of them) and walk into them, collecting
    >the files to be backed up. Second, it should be able to understand that
    >not everything will fit on a single 700Mb CD, and partition the backup
    >appropriately. Third, if possible, it should compress the data as it's
    >being written. It would also be nice if it "got" incremental backups.
    >
    >K3B is great for burning CDs... not so good for backups; it simply tosses
    >up its hands in disgust at the notion of trying to cope with 11Gb of data
    >and 700Mb blanks.
    >
    >About the best option I've seen so far is making a tarball, using split,
    >then writing the chunks. To me, this seems like an excessively ugly
    >solution.
    >
    >Still looking.

    Dar