VPN client: Is there one for Linux ? - Questions

This is a discussion on VPN client: Is there one for Linux ? - Questions ; I want to use my Linux workstation to work from home. My company uses an Intel Shiva VPN. Their network is a Windos domain. Is there a VPN client for Linux? I looked at pptp but that seems only for ...

  1. VPN client: Is there one for Linux ?

    I want to use my Linux workstation to work from home.

    My company uses an Intel Shiva VPN. Their network is a Windos domain.

    Is there a VPN client for Linux?

    I looked at pptp but that seems only for Microsoft tunneling

    I looked at Freeswan, but it seems to be a server for setting up a VPN,
    not a client for connecting to a VPN.

    I looked at CIPE but i cannot tell if it's compatible with the Intel VPN.

  2. Re: VPN client: Is there one for Linux ?

    262bffca wrote:
    > I want to use my Linux workstation to work from home.
    >
    > My company uses an Intel Shiva VPN. Their network is a Windos domain.
    >
    > Is there a VPN client for Linux?
    >
    > I looked at pptp but that seems only for Microsoft tunneling
    >
    > I looked at Freeswan, but it seems to be a server for setting up a VPN,
    > not a client for connecting to a VPN.
    >
    > I looked at CIPE but i cannot tell if it's compatible with the Intel VPN.

    Freeswan is both a client and a server, and if you google for freesway
    and Shiva I think there are some config notes available.
    Neil

    --
    Neil Horman
    Red Hat, Inc., http://people.redhat.com/nhorman

  3. Re: VPN client: Is there one for Linux ?

    Neil Horman wrote:

    > Freeswan is both a client and a server, and if you google for freesway
    > and Shiva I think there are some config notes available.
    > Neil

    I don't mean to be dense. But I downloaded and installed Freeswan
    yesterday. The documentation is /sparse/ to say the least. I'm willing
    to RTFM but in this case there is no Manual to read!

    For example, if it is a client -- where is it? The howto's are all
    about setting up a Linux box as a /server/ - but all I want to do is
    connect to an existing VPN.

    I looked at the config notes for Intel Netstructure on Freeswan.org but
    since there is no docs about using Freeswan as a client, I have no idea
    who to use that configuration!

  4. Re: VPN client: Is there one for Linux ?

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:38:00 +0000, 262bffca wrote:

    > I want to use my Linux workstation to work from home.
    >
    > My company uses an Intel Shiva VPN. Their network is a Windos domain.
    >
    > Is there a VPN client for Linux?
    >
    > I looked at pptp but that seems only for Microsoft tunneling
    >
    > I looked at Freeswan, but it seems to be a server for setting up a VPN,
    > not a client for connecting to a VPN.
    >
    > I looked at CIPE but i cannot tell if it's compatible with the Intel VPN.

    shiva is a proprietary vpn tunnel implementation by intel, afaik there is
    no linux client at this time.

  5. Re: VPN client: Is there one for Linux ?

    262bffca wrote:
    > Neil Horman wrote:
    >
    >> Freeswan is both a client and a server, and if you google for freesway
    >> and Shiva I think there are some config notes available.
    >> Neil
    >>

    > I don't mean to be dense. But I downloaded and installed Freeswan
    > yesterday. The documentation is /sparse/ to say the least. I'm willing
    > to RTFM but in this case there is no Manual to read!
    >
    > For example, if it is a client -- where is it? The howto's are all
    > about setting up a Linux box as a /server/ - but all I want to do is
    > connect to an existing VPN.
    >
    > I looked at the config notes for Intel Netstructure on Freeswan.org but
    > since there is no docs about using Freeswan as a client, I have no idea
    > who to use that configuration!

    You're thinking about it in the wrong way. Freeswan doesn't really have
    a client and a server binary. Its more of a peer model. You configure
    connections under freeswan to listen for connections (a server setup) or
    you configure it to establish a network connection/interface/tunnel
    (client setup). All of these are defined in the ipsec.conf file (IIRC)
    and are associated there with connection/tunnel "names" then you use the
    ipsec utility from freeswan to enable or disable the connections.
    Neil

    --
    Neil Horman
    Red Hat, Inc., http://people.redhat.com/nhorman
    gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1, http://www.keyserver.net

  6. Re: VPN client: Is there one for Linux ?

    I know V-ONE has a client named "SmartPass" - but if it works with
    your VPN server I cannot tell...

    Download it from: http://www.v-one.com/download.html

    // Oxy

    262bffca wrote in message news:...
    > I want to use my Linux workstation to work from home.
    >
    > My company uses an Intel Shiva VPN. Their network is a Windos domain.
    >
    > Is there a VPN client for Linux?
    >
    > I looked at pptp but that seems only for Microsoft tunneling
    >
    > I looked at Freeswan, but it seems to be a server for setting up a VPN,
    > not a client for connecting to a VPN.
    >
    > I looked at CIPE but i cannot tell if it's compatible with the Intel VPN.

  7. Re: VPN client: Is there one for Linux ?

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:38:00 GMT, 262bffca
    wrote:

    >I want to use my Linux workstation to work from home.
    >
    >My company uses an Intel Shiva VPN. Their network is a Windos domain.
    >
    >Is there a VPN client for Linux?

    I found this from Brookhaven National Laboratories with a quick
    Google:
    On Oct. 1st, 2002, Intel announced they would be ending the support
    life for their VPN product line as of April 4, 2003.

    While we've enjoyed tremendous uptime success with the Intel (aka
    Shiva) product, this meant any failures would not be easily remedied.
    It also meant we could explore other solutions that might include OS's
    that hadn't been supported previously. With the introduction of the
    Cisco vpn solution, BNL now can provide software for a wider variety
    of operating systems and leverage existing support contracts if
    needed. Currently, Cisco has VPN client software available for Windows
    98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP Professional. On the Unix
    side, there are VPN client packages available for Linux, known to work
    with Debian, Red Hat, and Mandrake. There is also a VPN client
    available for Apple OS X systems and Sun SPARC based Solaris systems.

    BNL's implementation of the Cisco VPN service is based on the IPSec
    protocol, using 3DES encryption. User authentication remains via the
    CryptoCard challenge/response mechanism, as it was with Intel/Shiva.
    The benefit of this is primarily a 'one-time' password. If you are
    currently a CryptoCard holder, there's no need to change anything
    other than your vpn client software.

    Also I found this site http://www.vpnlabs.com/linux-vpn.php
    which among other things says that the FreeS/WAN VPN is compatible
    with the Shiva VPN system. They say this:
    VPN Software requirements
    Linux FreeS/WAN: Linux Free S/WAN is an implementation of IPSEC and
    IKE for Linux. (*note*) Linux FreeS/WAN is in the process of being
    implemented into Linux IPV6. Free S/WAN is interoperable with most VPN
    implementations including OpenBSD VPN, FreeBSD VPN, NetBSD VPN, Cisco
    VPN Routers (1720, 2600, 3030, 3600, 4000, 4500, AS5300, 7200, 7500
    and more), Nortel Contivity VPN switches, Raptor Firewall, Gauntlet
    firewall GVPN, Checkpoint Firewall-1, F-Secure VPN for Windows,
    Watchguard VPN, Xedia Access Point QVPN, PGP Mac and Windows Client,
    IRE Safenet SoftPK VPN client, Borderware Freegate and Timestep,
    Intel/Shiva LANrover, Sonicwall, Radguard VPN, Windows VPN clients,
    WinNT domains, and Win2k 2000 VPN. Download the FreeS/WAN VPN
    software, or mirror sites here.

    Check it out.

    Ah, just found this!
    http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/...c-0104/78.html

    which says this:

    I have successfully established a tunnel between a Shiva VPN Express
    (Intel Netstructure 3110) with code version 6.81p3 and FreeS/WAN
    version 1.9 The tunnel can be established from either end.
    Linux redhat 7.0 Kernel 2.2.17-14
    Redhat Updates for 7.0 have been applied.
    Note: FreeS/WAN version 1.8 would not work - two of the fixed bugs
    were encountered.
    Test setup
    1. Shiva Config file

    Followed by the config file.

    Check it out.

    And this page
    http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_tre...c/interop.html
    has an interoperability chart with Shiva listed and a couple links
    related to it. Apparently Shiva can use IPSEC or its own "Shiva
    Tunnel" and FreeS/WAN only works with the IPSEC version.

    Check it out.

    And this O'Reilly page has info on configuring FreeS/WAN:
    http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/3043

    Best I can find with a quick Google and searching about five pages of
    hits so far.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Richard Steven Hack
    "Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" -

+ Reply to Thread