question about moving to linux !! - Questions

This is a discussion on question about moving to linux !! - Questions ; I'm presently running SCO Foxbase on an old SCO ODT 3.2v4.2 Pentium I computer. In order to migrate my system to a Pentium II computer i was suggested to upgrade my os to Linux. Is SCO Foxbase running on Suse ...

  1. question about moving to linux !!

    I'm presently running SCO Foxbase on an old SCO ODT 3.2v4.2 Pentium I
    computer.

    In order to migrate my system to a Pentium II computer i was suggested to
    upgrade my os to Linux.

    Is SCO Foxbase running on Suse Linux ?????

    If so wich flavor of Suse Linux should I get ???, personnal, enterprise or
    server ???

    I have around 20 peoples connected and accessing the databases of Foxbase
    via Telnet connections at all time !!!

    your help is greatly appreciated

    Sylvain

  2. Re: question about moving to linux !!

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:46:06 -0500, "Sylvain Hamel"
    wrote:

    >Is SCO Foxbase running on Suse Linux ?????

    You might want to look at this:
    http://www.recital.com/solutions_foxpro.htm

    From their Overview page:
    Product Overview

    Recital Linux Developer is the only multi-user database available for
    Linux that provides language and data compatibility with FoxPro,
    FoxBASE and Clipper -- all in one easy-to-install and
    easy-to-administer package.

    The FoxPro, FoxBASE and Clipper language and data compatibility
    provides a ready means to migrate existing applications to Linux
    environment.

    Recital Linux Developer applications are highly scaleable. We have
    several mature sites that are running over 400 concurrent users, and
    many that have over 100 concurrent users.

    The Recital 4GL has evolved over time to become object oriented and
    network extensible providing support for distributed applications.

    Recital Linux Developer includes a powerful SQL 92 engine.

    Recital Linux Developer will also open up your entire information
    systems environment by providing access to multiple data sources on
    Windows, Linux, Unix and OpenVMS systems.

    Access to Recital, FoxPro, dBase, Clipper and C-ISAM data is handled
    through standard xBase command syntax and user designed forms.

    Network access to Oracle, Ingres, Informix, and DB2 data is handled
    with ease using the Recital Server Interface Gateway technology.
    Key Features

    Rapid Application Development environment with integrated database.
    FoxPro, FoxBASE and Clipper compatible.
    Includes a high performance SQL-92 engine.
    Active Data Dictionary.
    Row level locking.
    Optimistic/Pessimistic locking.
    Java enabled.
    Terminal independent with full color support.
    Data connectivity to MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Ingres, Informix, SQL
    Server 2000 and others.
    Support for POP3 and SMTP E-mail.
    Import/export XML Support.

    A quick Google indicates that somebody claimed to have indeed got SCO
    FoxBase to run on Red Hat although with difficulty apparently. I could
    only find one such reference however, and no details at all, just a
    mention.

    Some people have used a product called Flagship which converts FoxBase
    code to Clipper code, but I don't know if you want that. Check it out
    here http://www.fship.com/

    I also found a Web site called Fox Populi here
    http://www.foxpopuli.narod.ru/ix.htm which apparently has FoxPro V2.6
    for UNIX (the site is in Russian, but has English references to
    Recital and Flagship).

    I'd say your odds of getting FoxBase to work on Linux is not good.
    There are a number of xBase C libraries and such for Linux to allow
    Linux programs to access xBase files, so your best bet is to get
    someone to translate the FoxBase code to a more standard Linux
    language such as Perl (there is a Perl library for xBase files) and
    then move up to Linux using Perl or C or whatever to replace FoxBase.

    But if you're going to that much trouble, I'd suggest converting the
    app maybe to the database in Open Office or MySQL.

    A last resort might be that supposedly the current Microsoft FoxPro
    runs on WINE although it violates the Microsoft EULA. You might try
    converting FoxBase to FoxPro and running it that way - on WINE.

    --
    Richard Steven Hack
    "Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" -

  3. Re: question about moving to linux !!

    Thank's, I really appreciate your help on this !!

    Sylvain

    "Richard Steven Hack" wrote in message
> [...]

    > I'd say your odds of getting FoxBase to work on Linux is not good.
    > There are a number of xBase C libraries and such for Linux to allow
    > Linux programs to access xBase files, so your best bet is to get
    > someone to translate the FoxBase code to a more standard Linux
    > language such as Perl (there is a Perl library for xBase files) and
    > then move up to Linux using Perl or C or whatever to replace FoxBase.
    >
    > But if you're going to that much trouble, I'd suggest converting the
    > app maybe to the database in Open Office or MySQL.
    >
    > A last resort might be that supposedly the current Microsoft FoxPro
    > runs on WINE although it violates the Microsoft EULA. You might try
    > converting FoxBase to FoxPro and running it that way - on WINE.
    >

    > --
    > Richard Steven Hack
    > "Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" -

  4. Re: question about moving to linux !!

    Richard Steven Hack wrote:
    >>Is SCO Foxbase running on Suse Linux ?????

    > You might want to look at this:
    > http://www.recital.com/solutions_foxpro.htm
    >

    > Some people have used a product called Flagship which converts FoxBase
    > code to Clipper code, but I don't know if you want that. Check it out
    > here http://www.fship.com/
    >
    > I also found a Web site called Fox Populi here
    > http://www.foxpopuli.narod.ru/ix.htm which apparently has FoxPro V2.6
    > for UNIX (the site is in Russian, but has English references to
    > Recital and Flagship).
    >
    > I'd say your odds of getting FoxBase to work on Linux is not good.

    The most informative reference seems to be:
    http://www.intergate.com/~dallen24/fox.htm

    It seems you might be able to run the Unix version on Linux or Unix
    (FreeBSD etc) , and if you're in a pinch (old system died) that might be
    the way to go. Otherwise a longer term solution might be to migrate away
    from foxpro.

  5. Re: question about moving to linux !!

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:02:51 -0500, "Sylvain Hamel"
    wrote:

    >Thank's, I really appreciate your help on this !!
    >
    >Sylvain
    >

    >"Richard Steven Hack" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:46:06 -0500, "Sylvain Hamel"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is SCO Foxbase running on Suse Linux ?????

    >> You might want to look at this:
    >> http://www.recital.com/solutions_foxpro.htm
    >>
    >> From their Overview page:

    [omitted for bandwidth]

    >> A last resort might be that supposedly the current Microsoft FoxPro
    >> runs on WINE although it violates the Microsoft EULA. You might try
    >> converting FoxBase to FoxPro and running it that way - on WINE.

    I was able to get foxpro 2.6 to work on OS/2 in the compatibility box
    - I'd find it difficult to believe it wouldn't work under Wine.

    Mike-
    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.