Linux software for streaming WMA - Questions

This is a discussion on Linux software for streaming WMA - Questions ; Is there any software or pluggin that will allow me to listen to streaming WMA format? There is an archive of a radio program I want to listen to that is only available in this format and I don't have ...

  1. Linux software for streaming WMA

    Is there any software or pluggin that will allow me to
    listen to streaming WMA format? There is an archive of a
    radio program I want to listen to that is only available in
    this format and I don't have access to Winders any more.

    Tech support suggested I use CodeWeavers Crossover. Never
    needing anything Winders related since I started using Linux
    6 years ago I have no idea how to do something like this.
    I'm using RedHat 7.3 and have the version of wine that came
    with it installed, by I've never used it. Would this
    version of wine work?

    And what do I need from a Win95 or WinME install CD, with
    either CodeWeavers or wine, to get this to work?

    Any help very much appreciated...

  2. Re: Linux software for streaming WMA

    Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
    > Is there any software or pluggin that will allow me to listen to
    > streaming WMA format? There is an archive of a radio program I want to
    > listen to that is only available in this format and I don't have access
    > to Winders any more.
    >
    > Tech support suggested I use CodeWeavers Crossover. Never needing
    > anything Winders related since I started using Linux 6 years ago I have
    > no idea how to do something like this. I'm using RedHat 7.3 and have the
    > version of wine that came with it installed, by I've never used it.
    > Would this version of wine work?
    >
    > And what do I need from a Win95 or WinME install CD, with either
    > CodeWeavers or wine, to get this to work?
    >
    > Any help very much appreciated...

    Have you already tried mplayer?

    http://www.mplayerhq.hu

    Floris

  3. Re: Linux software for streaming WMA

    Floris Martens wrote:
    > Have you already tried mplayer?
    >
    > http://www.mplayerhq.hu

    Well, looks like it might work. Getting it installed looks
    like fun. Not as simple as rpm -i packagename.

  4. Re: Linux software for streaming WMA

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:35:11 -0600, Kevin D. Snodgrass typed:

    > Well, looks like it might work. Getting it installed looks like fun.
    > Not as simple as rpm -i packagename.

    Almost as easy...........

    Download the apt rpm from; http://valhalla.freshrpms.net/

    As root from the console or xterm session type something like;

    rpm -i apt-0.5.5cnc5-fr0.rh73.2.i386.rpm

    Next type 'apt-get update' without the quotes.

    Then type 'apt-get install mplayer' to install mplayer and the needed
    dependencies.

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  5. Re: Linux software for streaming WMA

    Lenard wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:35:11 -0600, Kevin D. Snodgrass typed:
    >

    >>Well, looks like it might work. Getting it installed looks like fun.
    >>Not as simple as rpm -i packagename.

    > Almost as easy...........

    I was commenting on the instructions at mplayerhq.hu. Major
    dependencies, including a different gcc. Didn't really want
    to mess with THAT.

    > Download the apt rpm from; http://valhalla.freshrpms.net/

    Don't like the concept of apt. I want to know what packages
    I'm installing and where they came from. Up2Date was fine,
    since everything came from Red Hat.

    But I did download mplayer from freshrpms, did an rpm -i
    --test, grabbed the 6 or 7 dependencies (also from
    freshrpms) and installed each, then mplayer. Works for
    playing static content. I will check for streaming when I
    get more time.

    Thanks for pointing me to freshrpms.

+ Reply to Thread