Which Linux version to buy? - Questions

This is a discussion on Which Linux version to buy? - Questions ; I am building a couple of new systems (just hobbyist stuff) and am thinking about making one of them a Linux box. I'm aware there are different versions of Linux and that's about ALL I know about it. Any help, ...

  1. Which Linux version to buy?

    I am building a couple of new systems (just hobbyist stuff) and am thinking
    about making one of them a Linux box. I'm aware there are different versions
    of Linux and that's about ALL I know about it. Any help, advice, suggestions
    or comments would be much appreciated.

    This would be for a home system with fairly usual activities in mind: Web
    surfing, word processing, spreadsheeting, image editing, networking with
    existing Windows machines (XP, 2000Pro, WinME and Win98SE). Compatibility
    with Word 2002 and Excel 97 would be strongly desired, and Photoshop too if
    possible.

    Any good links for a rank newbie at Linux appreciated also. TIA.

    Seneca

  2. Re: Which Linux version to buy?

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:31:28 GMT, Seneca wrote:

    > Any good links for a rank newbie at Linux appreciated also. TIA.

    Other people's Free advice:
    http://livinginternet.com/u/ua.htm <--- Advanced Usenet Usage
    http://tgos.org/newbie/rules.html <--- Good Usenet etiquette

    and a very large Frequently Asked Questions (faq) search engine
    key words(s) in the first box
    *linux* in the Newsgroup box, pick english

    The best one is the one that fits your needs.

    Here, read for yourself.
    http://www.distrowatch.com/ and
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...x+distribution

    For hardware compatibility
    http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3
    http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/index.html

  3. Re: Which Linux version to buy?

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:31:28 GMT, "Seneca" wrote:

    >I am building a couple of new systems (just hobbyist stuff) and am thinking
    >about making one of them a Linux box. I'm aware there are different versions
    >of Linux and that's about ALL I know about it. Any help, advice, suggestions
    >or comments would be much appreciated.

    Go to www.distrowatch.com and read their comments about the various
    options. Don't "buy" right off -- although once you settle in on a
    favorite, financial help would be a Good Thing -- but rather get the
    available distros as ISO files and check out a couple.

    You might want to start with the Knoppix CD. It can be run from a
    bootable CD; nice way to just get the flavor and also handy to have.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

  4. Re: Which Linux version to buy?

    Rich Webb wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:31:28 GMT, "Seneca" wrote:
    >
    > > I am building a couple of new systems (just hobbyist stuff) and am
    > > thinking about making one of them a Linux box. I'm aware there are
    > > different versions of Linux and that's about ALL I know about it.
    > > Any help, advice, suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

    > Go to www.distrowatch.com and read their comments about the various
    > options. Don't "buy" right off -- although once you settle in on a
    > favorite, financial help would be a Good Thing -- but rather get the
    > available distros as ISO files and check out a couple.
    >
    > You might want to start with the Knoppix CD. It can be run from a
    > bootable CD; nice way to just get the flavor and also handy to have.

    This is the position I agree with, find something that you are
    comfortable with and *then* reciprocate by joining the distro
    manufacture's club or by buying the distro you perfer etc. Freedom needs
    fiscal support Of course if you're just well off then feel free to
    buy right off the bat

  5. Re: Which Linux version to buy?

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:31:28 +0000, Seneca wrote:

    > I am building a couple of new systems (just hobbyist stuff) and am thinking
    > about making one of them a Linux box. I'm aware there are different versions
    > of Linux and that's about ALL I know about it. Any help, advice, suggestions
    > or comments would be much appreciated.

    One user I defenestrated is using KDE on Mandrake 9.2, and having little
    to no trouble with it. Except a seeming lack of text2speech software.

    --
    Dennis Carr - ke6isf@spamcop.net | I may be out of my mind,
    http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

  6. Thanks all! (was Re: Which Linux version to buy?)

    I appreciate all your comments very much and will check those sources out.

    Thanks again!

    Seneca

+ Reply to Thread