Probably DMA problems on old 166, also distro advice request. - Questions

This is a discussion on Probably DMA problems on old 166, also distro advice request. - Questions ; Hi I have an old Compaq Deskpro 2000, Pentium 166MHz MMX, 128MB RAM, 2.4 or 6 GB HDD, CD-ROM. I'd like to install linux on it, probably Mandrake (I've downloaded 9.2 cd 1) so it can be used as a ...

  1. Probably DMA problems on old 166, also distro advice request.

    Hi

    I have an old Compaq Deskpro 2000, Pentium 166MHz MMX, 128MB RAM, 2.4 or 6
    GB HDD, CD-ROM.

    I'd like to install linux on it, probably Mandrake (I've downloaded 9.2 cd
    1) so it can be used as a tiny web server (as in, 1 hit a week webserver
    for holiday photos), an e-mail server would be good so my parents can give
    up hotmail, possibly FTP too but that's not an issue. I don't want any
    GUI, as it will be just be left running 24/7 in the garage. So it would be
    nice if it could recover from power failures, as I'm going to be at
    university next year.

    Maybe Mandrake isn't the way to go, I'd appreciate alternatives (I don't
    mind an awkward set-up (ish) so long as it "just works" from then on).

    I tried installing Mandrake, and it stuck with the hard drive light on
    after installing 3 or so packages. Then I tried Gentoo (only other x86
    distro I have on CD) and it went wrong whilst unzipping the tarball.

    On the Gentoo live CD, I then booted with kernel options "nodma
    ide=nodma" and did this:
    root# ls //

    root# hdparm /dev/hda

    /dev/hda:
    multcount = 16 (on)
    IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
    unmasking = 1 (on)
    using_dma = 0 (off)
    keepsettings = 0 (off)
    readonly = 0 (off)
    readahead = 8 (off)
    geometry = 788/255/63, sectors = 12672450, start = 0

    root# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

    /dev/hda:
    setting using_dma to 1 (on)
    blk: queue c0334960, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
    using_dma = 1 (on)

    root# ls /mnt/hda6

    There's also some errors which suggest DMA is not functioning (Google
    suggested the nodma options).

    When I try the Gentoo install with DMA off, it works until I get fed up
    with it compiling and reboot. When I try Mandrake with these options, it's
    no different.

    So, what I need to know:

    1) Is Mandrake really the right choice? I'm doubting it. What distro?

    2) Why, when installing mandrake having passed "nodma ide=nodma" to the
    kernel doesn't it work?

    3) How do I make it boot (when i get it installed) with the appropriate
    kernel options by default?

    Thanks :-) for any suggestions :-)

    --
    Matt

  2. Re: Probably DMA problems on old 166, also distro advice request.

    "Matt" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.01.03.15.44.59.307798@hotmail.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an old Compaq Deskpro 2000, Pentium 166MHz MMX, 128MB RAM, 2.4 or 6
    > GB HDD, CD-ROM.
    >
    > I'd like to install linux on it, probably Mandrake (I've downloaded 9.2 cd
    > 1) so it can be used as a tiny web server (as in, 1 hit a week webserver
    > for holiday photos), an e-mail server would be good so my parents can give
    > up hotmail, possibly FTP too but that's not an issue. I don't want any
    > GUI, as it will be just be left running 24/7 in the garage. So it would be
    > nice if it could recover from power failures, as I'm going to be at
    > university next year.
    >
    > Maybe Mandrake isn't the way to go, I'd appreciate alternatives (I don't
    > mind an awkward set-up (ish) so long as it "just works" from then on).

    I've found Slackware to be the best distro to use...especially with
    slower cpu's such as yours

+ Reply to Thread