This is the first time I've tried to compile a custom kernel.
I'm running 2.4.22 on Zipslack 9.1(on a vfat partition), and trying to
compile the 2.6.0 kernel.

My question is, does the new kernel support the umsdos file system, or

If not, then why does the linux-2.6.0/fs/umsdos directory exist?
If so, then where in menuconfig does the option to enable usmdos

From the docs I've looked at, it's unclear to me as to whether or not
I need to apply a patch to the kernel before compiling or not. I have
found some patches posted to a mailing list for test versions of the
new kernel, but my attempts to apply them have failed.

Thanks for any info you can supply,