problem installing Linux on dual Athlon machine (Asus A7M266-D) - Questions

This is a discussion on problem installing Linux on dual Athlon machine (Asus A7M266-D) - Questions ; I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to install Linux on my dual athlon system. I have downloaded and tried 3 different distributions : Fedora Core 1, Mepis, and Mandrake 9.1 . All are failing with various kernel ...

  1. problem installing Linux on dual Athlon machine (Asus A7M266-D)

    I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to install Linux on my dual
    athlon system.

    I have downloaded and tried 3 different distributions : Fedora Core 1,
    Mepis, and Mandrake 9.1 . All are failing with various kernel panic
    during the installation.

    I am really at a loss at this point.

    The hardware is as follows :

    Asus A7M-266D dual athlon motherboard (1010 bios)
    two Athlon MP 1500+ CPUs
    512 MB ECC registered PC2100 DDR RAM (Corsair, lifetime warranty)
    LSI21040 Ultra160 SCSI 64-bit PCI controller (multi-channel)
    WD 200 GB ATA100 HD (the mobo BIOS does see the full 200GB)
    Seagate 36 GB 15k rpm SCSI HD
    Yamaha CRW2200 EIDE CD-RW
    Pioneer SCSI DVD-ROM
    Microtech dual-slot PCMCIA to SCSI reader
    M-Audio Delta 66 PCI soundcard
    3Com 905 PCI NIC
    Asus PCI-USB2 USB 2.0 EHCI PCI card
    ATI Radeon 8500 AGP video
    Apple Cinema Display 22" with DVI-to-ADC adapter (1600x1024)
    AZERTY PS2 keyboard
    Kensington Expert Mouse Pro PS2 trackball
    Roland SMPU64 MIDI interface
    1.44 MB floppy drive

    I also have two external SCSI devices; an HP Scanjet 4c on the UW SCSI
    bus, and an HP Surestore DAT40e on the LVD bus.

    The network connection is on a 100 Mbps home LAN, with a Sonicwall
    router/firewall to my DSL provider. The machine has a dedicated static,
    public IP.

    The above machine is not a new system; I have been using it for years
    primarily with OS/2, as a development system and on occasion Windows for
    some audio/video stuff too. At this point, I would like to add Linux to
    it. There is plenty of available unpartitioned space. So far all my
    efforts have failed and this is very frustrating.

    I have tried removing as much hardware as I could, down to the
    motherboard, CPU, RAM, video card and IDE CD and IDE HD.

    No matter what I do, the installation always hangs, with all Linux
    distributions, never exactly at the same point, sometimes after
    partitioning the disk, sometimes when starting to copy packages.

    I have tried booting from either the SCSI DVD-ROM or the IDE CD-RW;
    installing on either the SCSI HD or on the IDE one. Nothing worked.

    If you are running Linux on a dual athlon, especially one with the Asus
    A7M266-D, I would appreciate some information on which distribution you
    were able to install, which BIOS and which BIOS settings you are using.

    If you want to e-mail me, remove nospam from the e-mail address.

    Thanks in advance !

  2. Re: problem installing Linux on dual Athlon machine (Asus A7M266-D)

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:45:43 -0800, Julien Pierre wrote:

    > I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to install Linux on my dual
    > athlon system.
    >
    > I have downloaded and tried 3 different distributions : Fedora Core 1,
    > Mepis, and Mandrake 9.1 . All are failing with various kernel panic
    > during the installation.

    Try the latest mandrake i.e. 9.2
    --
    Neil
    Delete delete to reply by email

  3. Re: problem installing Linux on dual Athlon machine (Asus A7M266-D)

    > No matter what I do, the installation always hangs, with all Linux
    > distributions, never exactly at the same point, sometimes after
    > partitioning the disk, sometimes when starting to copy packages.

    Try setting the MPS revision to 1.1, not 1.4. Other than that, make sure
    that (A) your power supply can handle the load, (B) you are using
    manufacturer-recommended memory, (C) you are using known-good memory.

    I've seen a somewhat similar problem with a dual Athlon setup after
    exhausting those possibilities, and it turned out that the two AthlonMP's
    I'd been sold did not, for some reason, want to work with each other.
    Either one would work fine as a single processer in either socket of any of
    three different motherboards. However, when used *together*, they would
    lock up sooner or later on every one of the three motherboards. Exchanging
    for two different processers solved everything. You *might* be having a
    similar problem. It's a very rare type of problem, but it can (and does)
    sometimes occur.

    steve

  4. Re: problem installing Linux on dual Athlon machine (Asus A7M266-D)

    Julien Pierre wrote:

    > The hardware is as follows :
    >
    > Asus A7M-266D dual athlon motherboard (1010 bios)
    > two Athlon MP 1500+ CPUs

    if memory serves me right i might be wrong the athlon mp
    chip is a 64 bit cpu
    i would try: (SUSE 9.0 pro 64 bit version for AMD64) as written on box
    As you can see there are two versions of SUSE 9.0 pro
    the 32 bit version and the one above it might help

  5. Re: problem installing Linux on dual Athlon machine (Asus A7M266-D)

    On Thursday 01 January 2004 21:45, Julien Pierre wrote:

    > I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to install Linux on my dual
    > athlon system.
    >
    > I have downloaded and tried 3 different distributions : Fedora Core 1,
    > Mepis, and Mandrake 9.1 . All are failing with various kernel panic
    > during the installation.
    >
    > I am really at a loss at this point.
    >
    > The hardware is as follows :

    Are you using a kernel with multi-processor support? Such support is
    not in a "standard" kernel and must be compiled in.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

  6. Re: problem installing Linux on dual Athlon machine (Asus A7M266-D)

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:45:43 -0800, Julien Pierre wrote:

    > I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to install Linux on my dual
    > athlon system.
    >
    > I have downloaded and tried 3 different distributions : Fedora Core 1,
    > Mepis, and Mandrake 9.1 . All are failing with various kernel panic
    > during the installation.
    >
    > I am really at a loss at this point.
    >
    > The hardware is as follows :
    >
    > Asus A7M-266D dual athlon motherboard (1010 bios)
    > two Athlon MP 1500+ CPUs
    > 512 MB ECC registered PC2100 DDR RAM (Corsair, lifetime warranty)
    > LSI21040 Ultra160 SCSI 64-bit PCI controller (multi-channel)
    > WD 200 GB ATA100 HD (the mobo BIOS does see the full 200GB)
    > Seagate 36 GB 15k rpm SCSI HD
    > Yamaha CRW2200 EIDE CD-RW
    > Pioneer SCSI DVD-ROM
    > Microtech dual-slot PCMCIA to SCSI reader
    > M-Audio Delta 66 PCI soundcard
    > 3Com 905 PCI NIC
    > Asus PCI-USB2 USB 2.0 EHCI PCI card
    > ATI Radeon 8500 AGP video
    > Apple Cinema Display 22" with DVI-to-ADC adapter (1600x1024)
    > AZERTY PS2 keyboard
    > Kensington Expert Mouse Pro PS2 trackball
    > Roland SMPU64 MIDI interface
    > 1.44 MB floppy drive
    >
    > I also have two external SCSI devices; an HP Scanjet 4c on the UW SCSI
    > bus, and an HP Surestore DAT40e on the LVD bus.
    >
    > The network connection is on a 100 Mbps home LAN, with a Sonicwall
    > router/firewall to my DSL provider. The machine has a dedicated static,
    > public IP.
    >
    > The above machine is not a new system; I have been using it for years
    > primarily with OS/2, as a development system and on occasion Windows for
    > some audio/video stuff too. At this point, I would like to add Linux to
    > it. There is plenty of available unpartitioned space. So far all my
    > efforts have failed and this is very frustrating.
    >
    > I have tried removing as much hardware as I could, down to the
    > motherboard, CPU, RAM, video card and IDE CD and IDE HD.
    >
    > No matter what I do, the installation always hangs, with all Linux
    > distributions, never exactly at the same point, sometimes after
    > partitioning the disk, sometimes when starting to copy packages.
    >
    > I have tried booting from either the SCSI DVD-ROM or the IDE CD-RW;
    > installing on either the SCSI HD or on the IDE one. Nothing worked.
    >
    > If you are running Linux on a dual athlon, especially one with the Asus
    > A7M266-D, I would appreciate some information on which distribution you
    > were able to install, which BIOS and which BIOS settings you are using.
    >
    > If you want to e-mail me, remove nospam from the e-mail address.
    >
    > Thanks in advance !

    You said it runs OS/2 and Windows but you didn't say if those OSs support
    dual processors. I don't know anything about OS/2 except that it's dead.
    Win9x is uniprocessor only. I think Win2K requires the server version to
    use both processors, I don't know about XP. If you have been running
    uniprocessor OSs then that would explain why your system will run them and
    not Linux. Assuming your problem is multiprocessor related it could
    becaused by a number of problems ranging from a bad processor to
    mismatched processors. Check you BIOS to see if you can disable one
    processor and then see if you can do the install. There is another
    possiblity which has nothing to do with multiprocessing. It could be as
    simple as a CDROM problem. Where did you get your the CDs? Lots of drives
    have problems with writable CDROMs, if you burned them from ISOs that
    could be your problem. You might want to try a boxed set of Mandrake 9.2.

  7. Re: problem installing Linux on dual Athlon machine (Asus A7M266-D)

    Neil,

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:45:43 -0800, Julien Pierre wrote:
    >

    >>I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to install Linux on my dual
    >>athlon system.
    >>
    >>I have downloaded and tried 3 different distributions : Fedora Core 1,
    >>Mepis, and Mandrake 9.1 . All are failing with various kernel panic
    >>during the installation.

    > Try the latest mandrake i.e. 9.2

    Actually 9.2 is what I had downloaded - I made a typo.
    I finally found the problem : one of my two 256 MB sticks of Corsair DDR
    PC2100 ECC RAM went bad somehow over the years. I pulled one out and I
    was able to install Mandrake 9.2 . I also tried Fedora just for kicks
    and it worked too with the one 256 MB stick of RAM.

    As soon as I put the other stick of RAM in - by itself or with the other
    good one - , Linux boots to a kernel panic ... Looks like I am going to
    have to dig the 2 year old receipt for that RAM since it has a lifetime
    warranty.

  8. Re: problem installing Linux on dual Athlon machine (Asus A7M266-D)

    Hi,

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > You said it runs OS/2 and Windows but you didn't say if those OSs support
    > dual processors. I don't know anything about OS/2 except that it's dead.

    OS/2 is most certainly not dead, and I'm still using it to type this
    response. And the version of OS/2 I am using - Warp Server for
    e-business - does support dual processors, and that's the one I have
    been running on this dual Athlon for the past 2 years. Win2k server also
    ran in dual processor mode on my system. I haven't been running any
    single-processor OS on this machine.

    > Win9x is uniprocessor only. I think Win2K requires the server version to
    > use both processors, I don't know about XP. If you have been running
    > uniprocessor OSs then that would explain why your system will run them and
    > not Linux. Assuming your problem is multiprocessor related it could
    > becaused by a number of problems ranging from a bad processor to
    > mismatched processors. Check you BIOS to see if you can disable one
    > processor and then see if you can do the install. There is another
    > possiblity which has nothing to do with multiprocessing. It could be as
    > simple as a CDROM problem. Where did you get your the CDs? Lots of drives
    > have problems with writable CDROMs, if you burned them from ISOs that
    > could be your problem. You might want to try a boxed set of Mandrake 9.2.

    It turned out to be that one of my two 256 MB sticks of DDR ECC RAM went
    bad. I don't know how RAM goes bad over time, but mine did - that RAM
    used to be fine .

+ Reply to Thread