I need help overriding the kernel module install path - Questions

This is a discussion on I need help overriding the kernel module install path - Questions ; As an ordinary user, I have built a kernel on one machine for installation on another machine. I now wish to build the kernel modules for this kernel. I do not wish to become root, and install the modules in ...

  1. I need help overriding the kernel module install path

    As an ordinary user, I have built a kernel on one machine for
    installation on another machine.

    I now wish to build the kernel modules for this kernel.

    I do not wish to become root, and install the modules in my lib
    directory of my compiler machine, using make modules_install.

    I want to override the module install path to a directory of my
    choosing.

    Does anyone know how I can do this ?

    I don't mind modifying the Makefile for the kernel, but I'm not sure
    which parts I would need to change.

    The target machine will have a modified directory structure.

  2. Re: I need help overriding the kernel module install path

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > I want to override the module install path to a directory of my
    > choosing.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can do this ?

    Look inside Makefile for the variable "INSTALL_MOD_PATH". Basically, you can
    use the following command:

    make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/some/writable/directory modules_install

    This will install all the modules under:

    /some/writable/directory/lib/modules//

    --
    CrayzeeWulf

+ Reply to Thread