good Linux candidate for Sun sparc workstations - Questions

This is a discussion on good Linux candidate for Sun sparc workstations - Questions ; My customer wants to deploy Sun sparc station to Linux box as utility servers like automount, samba, dns and mail. They have the following hardware. Sun UltraSparc 1 170MHz Sun UltraSparc 1 140MHz Sun UltraSparc 10 400MHz Sun Blade100 500MHz ...

  1. good Linux candidate for Sun sparc workstations

    My customer wants to deploy Sun sparc station to Linux box as utility
    servers like automount, samba, dns and mail.

    They have the following hardware.

    Sun UltraSparc 1 170MHz
    Sun UltraSparc 1 140MHz
    Sun UltraSparc 10 400MHz
    Sun Blade100 500MHz

    What will be the best Linux distribution for them? I looket at
    http://www.ultralinux.org, but I am not sure which one is the most reliable?

    Thank you,

  2. Re: good Linux candidate for Sun sparc workstations

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
    On 2003-12-28, Jason Hong wrote:
    > My customer wants to deploy Sun sparc station to Linux box as utility
    > servers like automount, samba, dns and mail.
    >
    > They have the following hardware.
    >
    > Sun UltraSparc 1 170MHz
    > Sun UltraSparc 1 140MHz
    > Sun UltraSparc 10 400MHz
    > Sun Blade100 500MHz
    >
    > What will be the best Linux distribution for them? I looket at
    > http://www.ultralinux.org, but I am not sure which one is the most reliable?

    IIRC, you've got debian

    --
    I've found a great way to fight spammers....if you want to find out how,
    mail me at postmaster@localhost ... very very soon, there'll be a reply.

  3. Re: good Linux candidate for Sun sparc workstations

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:32:38 +0000, Jason Hong wrote:

    > My customer wants to deploy Sun sparc station to Linux box as utility
    > servers like automount, samba, dns and mail.
    >
    > They have the following hardware.
    >
    > Sun UltraSparc 1 170MHz
    > Sun UltraSparc 1 140MHz
    > Sun UltraSparc 10 400MHz
    > Sun Blade100 500MHz
    >
    > What will be the best Linux distribution for them? I looket at
    > http://www.ultralinux.org, but I am not sure which one is the most reliable?
    >
    > Thank you,

    The UltraSparc 1s should be deployed as doorstops. The SunBlade100 is
    still useful but you might as well keep Solaris on it, which switch it to
    Linux?

  4. Re: good Linux candidate for Sun sparc workstations

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > The UltraSparc 1s should be deployed as doorstops. The SunBlade100 is
    > still useful but you might as well keep Solaris on it, which switch it to
    > Linux?

    Well a SB100 is a workstation and Solaris is unusable as a
    workstation unless you install ALL of the GNU tools. This
    takes a considerable amount of futzing around and still
    doesn't result in a workstation as usable and versatile
    as Linux.

    Debian on Sparc works real nice.

    Erik

    PS : I know what I'm talking about because I used to work for
    SUN and I have run Linux on Sparc.
    Erik de Castro Lopo nospam@mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
    "Windows was created to keep stupid people away from UNIX."
    -- Tom Christiansen

  5. Re: good Linux candidate for Sun sparc workstations

    On 2003-12-29, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
    > Debian on Sparc works real nice.
    >
    > Erik
    >
    > PS : I know what I'm talking about because I used to work for
    > SUN and I have run Linux on Sparc.

    P.S. Do you know how much a Sparc Station 20(disk, ram, processor
    boards...) + monitor + keyboard + mouse would cost today?

    --
    I've found a great way to fight spammers....if you want to find out how,
    mail me at postmaster@localhost ... very very soon, there'll be a reply.

+ Reply to Thread