Playstattion 2 and Linux questions - Questions

This is a discussion on Playstattion 2 and Linux questions - Questions ; Hi, I've just recently bought a Playstation 2 and I'm seriously thinking of getting the Linux kit for it so that I can have a quiet living room PC. I'm a little concerned about a couple of things though, so ...

  1. Playstattion 2 and Linux questions

    Hi,
    I've just recently bought a Playstation 2 and I'm seriously thinking
    of getting the Linux kit for it so that I can have a quiet living room
    PC. I'm a little concerned about a couple of things though, so if
    anyone has answers to any of these issues I'd love to hear them.

    1. Is the PS2 too memory bound to be a useable linux box given that
    it's only got 32MB? Does performance completely suck?

    2. The Playstation Linux community doesn't seem to be overly active.
    What is the availability of extra apps like as a result? I'm used to
    using RH9 with Gnome, Evolution, etc. Has the latest Gnome been prted
    to the PS2 for example?

    3. This is a hardware issue. I hate the idea of being chained by a
    wired keyboard to the PS2. Will any wireless keyboard ( or
    keyboard/mouse in one combo) work in it's place?

    4. Lastly, a networking issue. Will any of the available wireless
    network bridges work with the PS2?

    If anyone can help me out here or share their experiences on this I'd
    appreciate it. I will be using the box mainly for web browsing, email
    and as an MP3 server.

    Cheers,
    Derek

  2. Re: Playstattion 2 and Linux questions

    Derek Hardiman wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I've just recently bought a Playstation 2 and I'm seriously thinking
    > of getting the Linux kit for it so that I can have a quiet living room
    > PC. I'm a little concerned about a couple of things though, so if
    > anyone has answers to any of these issues I'd love to hear them.
    >
    > 1. Is the PS2 too memory bound to be a useable linux box given that
    > it's only got 32MB? Does performance completely suck?
    >
    > 2. The Playstation Linux community doesn't seem to be overly active.
    > What is the availability of extra apps like as a result? I'm used to
    > using RH9 with Gnome, Evolution, etc. Has the latest Gnome been prted
    > to the PS2 for example?
    >
    > 3. This is a hardware issue. I hate the idea of being chained by a
    > wired keyboard to the PS2. Will any wireless keyboard ( or
    > keyboard/mouse in one combo) work in it's place?
    >
    > 4. Lastly, a networking issue. Will any of the available wireless
    > network bridges work with the PS2?
    >
    > If anyone can help me out here or share their experiences on this I'd
    > appreciate it. I will be using the box mainly for web browsing, email
    > and as an MP3 server.

    I haven't actually done this, but like yourself I looked into it...

    From what I've read, it was pretty clear that the ps/2 linux combination
    would be a real LOW performer. Kinda on the same lines as a fast 486. That
    coupled with the small memory footprint, pretty much turned me off to it.
    If you add up the dollars that you are going to invest in it, 180 for the
    ps/2 and 199 for the linux, you'd be far better served by paying a visit to
    wallmart and picking up one of their linux computers. At the least, you
    have a path to upgrade your walmart box, even if it's a short one.

    What makes the ps/2 such a good gaming console is the graphics chip, not the
    processor on the motherboard. Somehting you'd have little use for in your
    linux usage...

    --

    ************************************************** ****************************
    Registered Linux User Number 185956

  3. Re: Playstattion 2 and Linux questions

    "Jerry McBride" wrote in message
    > Derek Hardiman wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I've just recently bought a Playstation 2 and I'm seriously thinking
    > > of getting the Linux kit for it so that I can have a quiet living room
    > > PC. I'm a little concerned about a couple of things though, so if
    > > anyone has answers to any of these issues I'd love to hear them.
    > >
    > > 1. Is the PS2 too memory bound to be a useable linux box given that
    > > it's only got 32MB? Does performance completely suck?
    > >
    > > 2. The Playstation Linux community doesn't seem to be overly active.
    > > What is the availability of extra apps like as a result? I'm used to
    > > using RH9 with Gnome, Evolution, etc. Has the latest Gnome been prted
    > > to the PS2 for example?
    > >
    > > 3. This is a hardware issue. I hate the idea of being chained by a
    > > wired keyboard to the PS2. Will any wireless keyboard ( or
    > > keyboard/mouse in one combo) work in it's place?
    > >
    > > 4. Lastly, a networking issue. Will any of the available wireless
    > > network bridges work with the PS2?
    > >
    > > If anyone can help me out here or share their experiences on this I'd
    > > appreciate it. I will be using the box mainly for web browsing, email
    > > and as an MP3 server.
    > >

    > I haven't actually done this, but like yourself I looked into it...
    >
    > From what I've read, it was pretty clear that the ps/2 linux combination
    > would be a real LOW performer. Kinda on the same lines as a fast 486.

    Well thats why you would look at the xbox, Which for the same money has
    the celeron cpu, usable 3d graphics chip, and 64 meg sdram, plus a hard disk
    ?

    I havent done it ,but thats the basic reason to choose the xbox over the
    others.

+ Reply to Thread