Most Linux-compatible laptop - Questions

This is a discussion on Most Linux-compatible laptop - Questions ; Hello -- I am a Windows user, starting to learn about Linux. My daughter asked me for help in getting a simple laptop with Linux installed, so now is my chance to jump in further. Does anyone know of a ...

  1. Most Linux-compatible laptop

    Hello --

    I am a Windows user, starting to learn about Linux. My daughter asked me
    for help in getting a simple laptop with Linux installed, so now is my
    chance to jump in further.

    Does anyone know of a poll or survey indicating which laptops are most
    compatible with Linux?

    Thanks for any help.

    Larry Mehl

    ---

  2. Re: Most Linux-compatible laptop

    "L Mehl" skrev i meddelandet
    news:YcbHb.7950$lo3.4946@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > Hello --
    >
    > I am a Windows user, starting to learn about Linux. My daughter asked me
    > for help in getting a simple laptop with Linux installed, so now is my
    > chance to jump in further.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a poll or survey indicating which laptops are most
    > compatible with Linux?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Larry Mehl
    >

    > ---

    I have the most compatible laptop, sorry.....

  3. Re: Most Linux-compatible laptop

    In comp.os.linux.hardware L Mehl wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a poll or survey indicating which laptops are most
    > compatible with Linux?

    Almost every laptop is more or less compatible, have a look at
    www.linux-laptop.net where are reported the installation problems
    and solutions for most of them.

    Davide

    --
    | This fortune does not require Microsoft Windows.

  4. Re: Most Linux-compatible laptop

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 08:15:52 +0000, L Mehl wrote:

    > Hello --
    >
    > I am a Windows user, starting to learn about Linux. My daughter asked me
    > for help in getting a simple laptop with Linux installed, so now is my
    > chance to jump in further.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a poll or survey indicating which laptops are most
    > compatible with Linux?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Larry Mehl
    >

    > ---

    The only thing that's going to give you trouble is wireless cards and
    winmodems, avoid the Centrino wireless cards for now (Pentium Ms are
    fine, it just the wireless part of the Centrino chipset that's not
    supported). Both Nvidia and ATI do a good job of supporting their graphics
    chipsets so if you buy a laptop that has either Nivida or ATI graphics in
    it you'll be OK.

  5. Re: Most Linux-compatible laptop

    Will you share the instructions for building it?

    "Conny" wrote in message

    > "L Mehl" skrev i meddelandet
    > news:YcbHb.7950$lo3.4946@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > > Hello --
    > >
    > > I am a Windows user, starting to learn about Linux. My daughter asked

    me
    > > for help in getting a simple laptop with Linux installed, so now is my
    > > chance to jump in further.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a poll or survey indicating which laptops are most
    > > compatible with Linux?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.
    > >
    > > Larry Mehl
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > I have the most compatible laptop, sorry.....

    ---

  6. Re: Most Linux-compatible laptop

    Davide Bianchi wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.hardware L Mehl wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know of a poll or survey indicating which laptops are most
    >>compatible with Linux?

    > Almost every laptop is more or less compatible, have a look at
    > www.linux-laptop.net where are reported the installation problems
    > and solutions for most of them.
    >
    > Davide

    Most of the time, the only issue you'll have is with the modem. I have a
    Compaq Presario 2132EA and everything works except the Conexant modem.
    Linuxant makes drivers for the Conexant modem but they'll charge you for
    it. Either way, you can always use a cheap external modem. I use an
    external ISDN terminal adapter that plugs into my serial port and
    accepts the Hayes AT command set and thus acts as a modem.

    I had a Compaq Presario 1800EA that worked perfectly - even the Lucent
    modem worked under Linux with a downloaded rpm package.

  7. Re: Most Linux-compatible laptop

    Thank you all for responding. I will pursue those leads.

    L Mehl

    "L Mehl" wrote in message
    news:YcbHb.7950$lo3.4946@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > Hello --
    >
    > I am a Windows user, starting to learn about Linux. My daughter asked me
    > for help in getting a simple laptop with Linux installed, so now is my
    > chance to jump in further.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a poll or survey indicating which laptops are most
    > compatible with Linux?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Larry Mehl
    >

    > ---

    ---

  8. Re: Most Linux-compatible laptop

    NicK wrote:
    > Most of the time, the only issue you'll have is with the modem. I have a
    > Compaq Presario 2132EA and everything works except the Conexant modem.

    What about the power management? Do you have suspend-to-ram (standby)
    and suspend-to-disk (hibernate) working?
    I also have a Presario 2100 (2170US version) managed to get software
    suspend to mostly work, sometimes if I was lucky. I believe machines
    with APM rather than ACPI are better supported.
    Some trouble with PCMCIA cards too. Otherwise good.

  9. Re: Most Linux-compatible laptop

    In article <3feed1b8$1@quokka.wn.com.au>,
    Mike wrote:

    >What about the power management? Do you have suspend-to-ram (standby)
    >and suspend-to-disk (hibernate) working?

    I'm surprised this passes as a minor problem. Considering that the
    whole "mobile" thing is the main feature on a notebook computer, I'd
    say anything less than 100% compatability in the power management
    department is a show stopper. It seems to merely be a nuisance for
    others.

+ Reply to Thread