laptop - what specs needed to run Linux, tips for installing - Questions

This is a discussion on laptop - what specs needed to run Linux, tips for installing - Questions ; Hello -- I am a newcomer to Linux, and want to install it on a laptop. I am currently researching www.linux.com www.linux.org Can anyone suggest other sources for information on - what the capabilities of a laptop need to be ...

  1. laptop - what specs needed to run Linux, tips for installing

    Hello --

    I am a newcomer to Linux, and want to install it on a laptop.

    I am currently researching
    www.linux.com
    www.linux.org

    Can anyone suggest other sources for information on
    - what the capabilities of a laptop need to be
    - tips for a successful install

    in order to install a modern Linux distribution?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Larry Mehl

    ---

  2. Re: laptop - what specs needed to run Linux, tips for installing

    http://www.linux-laptop.net

    > ---
    > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.555 / Virus Database: 347 - Release
    > Date: 12/23/2003

  3. Re: laptop - what specs needed to run Linux, tips for installing

    Thank you, Dan.

    Larry

    "Dan Shackelford" wrote in message
    newsan.2003.12.27.02.43.12.100831@nospam.ix.netcom.com ...
    > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 02:05:24 +0000, L Mehl wrote:
    >
    > > Hello --
    > >
    > > I am a newcomer to Linux, and want to install it on a laptop.
    > >
    > > I am currently researching
    > > www.linux.com
    > > www.linux.org
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest other sources for information on - what the
    > > capabilities of a laptop need to be - tips for a successful install
    > >
    > > in order to install a modern Linux distribution?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any suggestions.
    > >
    > > Larry Mehl
    > >

    > http://www.linux-laptop.net
    >

    > > ---
    > > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.555 / Virus Database: 347 -

    Release
    > > Date: 12/23/2003

    ---

  4. Re: laptop - what specs needed to run Linux, tips for installing

    L Mehl wrote:

    > Hello --
    >
    > I am a newcomer to Linux, and want to install it on a laptop.
    >
    > I am currently researching
    > www.linux.com
    > www.linux.org
    >
    > Can anyone suggest other sources for information on
    > - what the capabilities of a laptop need to be
    > - tips for a successful install
    >
    > in order to install a modern Linux distribution?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    Off the top of my head... if you're going to do any kind of gaming on the
    laptop, try to get one with a decent video hardware like radeon. My "new"
    compaq 700us has a real nice S3 SAVAGE video chipset and looks wonderful.
    But it has no hardware support for opengl... It'll never be able to play
    quake3 wiht any usable performance.... shame on me...

    The other thing and this is highly biased, the amd mobile athlon is superior
    to intel anything. If you're curageous enough to open ylour laptop up, the
    mobil athlon is highly over-clockable with simple (in my case) jumper
    settings. My 1.2gig runs quite well at 1.8gig and since I'm a linux user
    it's quite easy to vary the clock speed from 1.8gig to 500mhz with simple
    software commands or key clicks or by daemon...

    Stay away from PC1XX memories and look for reall DDR support too....

    Brands that come to mind are SAGAR (SAGER?) and CLEVO. Both excellent and
    very affordable.

    --

    Registered Linux User Number 185956

+ Reply to Thread