USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23 - Questions

This is a discussion on USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23 - Questions ; In alt.os.linux.slackware Phil Botha wrote: > justlinux@sympatico.ca wrote: > > If you have the windows drivers you don't have a problem. Simply > > use windows when you use the camera. I think you'll find the photo > > editing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Phil Botha wrote:
    > justlinux@sympatico.ca wrote:

    > > If you have the windows drivers you don't have a problem. Simply
    > > use windows when you use the camera. I think you'll find the photo
    > > editing software available for windows is far superior to that
    > > available for linux.

    > This must be the crappiest response I have ever read on this ng.
    > If this logic had prevailed when the first animals crawled out of
    > the sea, the complaint: "It hurts when I breathe air into my
    > gills!" would have been met with the response: "Well, stay in
    > the water, then." and stopped evolution in its tracks.

    Linux/unix is hardly an evolutionary advance on windows.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  2. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

  3. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    rlm@bcda.bcda.com wrote:
    > In alt.os.linux.slackware Phil Botha wrote:
    >

    >>This must be the crappiest response I have ever read on this ng.
    >>If this logic had prevailed when the first animals crawled out of
    >>the sea, the complaint: "It hurts when I breathe air into my
    >>gills!" would have been met with the response: "Well, stay in
    >>the water, then." and stopped evolution in its tracks.

    > Linux/unix is hardly an evolutionary advance on windows.
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    In notice here that you've blithely bundled Linux and Unix together as
    one. While it's true that Unix predates Windows considerably, and thus
    *Unix* isn't an evolutionary advance on Windows per se, Linux has come a
    long way from its Unix roots.

    Also, to many of us, the idealogical advance of GNU/Linux over Windows
    is also extremely important. It's nice to know that having spent s on
    a computer, I actually own the thing.

    Ross

  4. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 05:21:55 +0000, rl wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux.slackware Gene wrote:
    >> On Saturday 27 December 2003 11:58 rlm@bcda.bcda.com wrote:

    >> > I know gimp better than you, obviously. Gimp's counterpart is Adobe
    >> > Illustrator. Illustrator + Photoshop blow gimp away. Now if you want
    >> > to pretend otherwise that's your problem. But a professional uses
    >> > the best tool for the job. Pledging allegiance to all things linux
    >> > is the amateur's way.

    >> I've just got one question then: Why is a linux oriented newsgroup
    >> saddled with a windows bible thumper?

    > I am hardly a windoze bible thumper. I just believe in using the best
    > tools for any job I am going to do, whether that be linux, unix, windows
    > or MSDOS.

    I hate to be blunt, but you're either lying or ignorant. You'd be telling
    him to buy a Mac if that were your only motivation. Instead, you jumped
    in without being asked and told the original poster to stop trying to use
    Linux with his digital camera and instead use Windows.

    Windows is definitely not the best tool for that job. If you don't know
    that, you shouldn't be giving advice. If you DO know that, then one has
    to wonder why you are in a Linux group trying to get people to use
    Windows?

    --
    Laz

  5. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Laz wrote:

    > I hate to be blunt, but you're either lying or ignorant.

    That's ok. You're both blunt and wrong.

    > You'd be telling him to buy a Mac if that were your only
    > motivation.

    He already owns the computer, you dumb ****. If he wants to use a
    USB camera with an intel architecture windows is the best choice.
    It's not even close.

    > Instead, you jumped in without being asked and told the original
    > poster to stop trying to use Linux with his digital camera and
    > instead use Windows.

    Windows offers better software for multimedia enthusiasts.

    Didn't you know that?

    > Windows is definitely not the best tool for that job.

    It is if you have an intel type architecture.

    > If you don't know that, you shouldn't be giving advice. If you
    > DO know that, then one has to wonder why you are in a Linux group
    > trying to get people to use Windows?

    I don't care if I am in a windows/linux/mac group. He has a
    digital camera and an intel type computer. Windows is the best
    tool for the job. I don't advise people to use linux when windows
    is the best tool for the job. I leave that to tiny-minded little
    zealots like you.

    G'nite Wanda,

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  6. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:09:18 +0000, rl wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux.slackware Laz wrote:
    >
    >> I hate to be blunt, but you're either lying or ignorant.

    > That's ok. You're both blunt and wrong.
    >
    >> You'd be telling him to buy a Mac if that were your only motivation.

    > He already owns the computer, you dumb ****. If he wants to use a USB
    > camera with an intel architecture windows is the best choice. It's not
    > even close.

    He didn't ask how to use a USB camera with an intel architecture, you
    brilliant guy, you. He asked how to use his with Linux. Since you
    claimed that you were only recommending the best tool for the job, and
    since your answer of "Windows" had nothing to do with his question anyway,
    you could have answered "Use a Mac," so that at least you really WOULD
    have been recommending the best tool for the job.

    Get it, now?

    >> Instead, you jumped in without being asked and told the original poster
    >> to stop trying to use Linux with his digital camera and instead use
    >> Windows.

    > Windows offers better software for multimedia enthusiasts.
    >
    > Didn't you know that?

    He didn't say he was a "multimedia enthusiast." Didn't you notice that?

    >> Windows is definitely not the best tool for that job.

    > It is if you have an intel type architecture.
    >
    >> If you don't know that, you shouldn't be giving advice. If you DO know
    >> that, then one has to wonder why you are in a Linux group trying to get
    >> people to use Windows?

    > I don't care if I am in a windows/linux/mac group. He has a digital
    > camera and an intel type computer. Windows is the best tool for the
    > job. I don't advise people to use linux when windows is the best tool
    > for the job. I leave that to tiny-minded little zealots like you.

    Once again, he wasn't asking how to use his digital camera with "an intel
    type computer." He wanted to know how to get it working in Linux. In
    fact, he didn't mention anything about "multimedia" anywhere in his
    article. We have no way of knowing why he wanted or needed to get it
    working in Linux. He could be setting up a webcam of his goldfish bowl,
    and he needs to send pictures to an ftp server every 10 seconds, and he
    has decided that Linux is less likely than Windows to crash while he's at
    work.

    Or maybe he has written a complex script that uses Gimp to automatically
    add some kind of special effect to each photo, or chain them together into
    a time-lapse photography movie, or any of an infinite number of things
    that would be difficult or impossible in Windows simply because Windows is
    so weak in scripting languages.

    All you know is that he asked how to get it working in Linux. To this you
    butted in and said, "Use Windows." That is the action of, if you'll
    pardon the expression, a "tiny-minded zealot."

    --
    Laz

  7. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    writes:

    > In alt.os.linux.slackware Laz wrote:
    >
    > > I hate to be blunt, but you're either lying or ignorant.

    > That's ok. You're both blunt and wrong.
    >
    > > You'd be telling him to buy a Mac if that were your only
    > > motivation.

    > He already owns the computer, you dumb ****. If he wants to use a
    > USB camera with an intel architecture windows is the best choice.
    > It's not even close.

    You are the f**ing moron. So you are suggesting that just for using a
    camera, he change his whole OS? Has it ever occured to your slowly
    firing brain cells that there might be a slew of reasons he is using a
    computer and Linux on it? You are nothing more than a troll. On a linux
    newsgroup, he asks for how he can make his camera work on Linux, and
    you being a f**ing windows zealot recommend him to chuck Linux
    altogether. Go do this on a windows advocacy newsgroup, not here.
    Open your foul mouth only if you have something constructive to offer.

    --
    - Pankaj

    One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
    One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
    In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.

  8. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Laz wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:09:18 +0000, rl wrote:

    > He didn't ask how to use a USB camera with an intel architecture,
    > you brilliant guy, you. He asked how to use his with Linux.
    > Since you claimed that you were only recommending the best tool
    > for the job, and since your answer of "Windows" had nothing to do
    > with his question anyway, you could have answered "Use a Mac," so
    > that at least you really WOULD have been recommending the best
    > tool for the job.

    > Get it, now?

    Nope. Macs are no longer the best graphics platform. The only
    thing that keeps that myth alive is your hatred of windows. And he
    can still use the USB with linux but if he wants to do
    professional work with the hardware he has he'll need windows 2000
    at least. As I pointed out, the best graphics software available
    for his hardware is made by adobe. And it ain't open source.

    > >> Instead, you jumped in without being asked and told the original poster
    > >> to stop trying to use Linux with his digital camera and instead use
    > >> Windows.

    > > Windows offers better software for multimedia enthusiasts.
    > >
    > > Didn't you know that?

    > He didn't say he was a "multimedia enthusiast." Didn't you
    > notice that?

    I naturally assumed that he was a multimedia enthusiast since he
    was hooking a camera up to his computer. You're grasping.

    > Once again, he wasn't asking how to use his digital camera with
    > "an intel type computer." He wanted to know how to get it
    > working in Linux. In fact, he didn't mention anything about
    > "multimedia" anywhere in his article.

    Since he didn't mention anything about his hardware it is correct
    to assume he has a pc. In any case, the answer would be very
    different if he had a mac. And I have yet to see an answer that
    assumed he did have a mac.

    As for your objection to the term "multimedia," perhaps you are
    right. Perhaps his computer is a file server. That would be an
    ideal platform for downloading and editing graphics, dontcha think?

    > We have no way of knowing why he wanted or needed to get it
    > working in Linux.

    Well, no, you don't. But I'll bet the farm that he has a pc, it's
    a home computer, and he is trying to hook up his Christmas present.

    > He could be setting up a webcam of his goldfish bowl, and he
    > needs to send pictures to an ftp server every 10 seconds, and he
    > has decided that Linux is less likely than Windows to crash while
    > he's at work.

    Sure. And perhaps he figured out a way to run linux on his trusty
    old apple II. It's highly unlikely but it gives you some
    "leverage" in the debate, doesn't it sweetie?

    G'nite Wanda,

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  9. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    The word is "****ing." Don't be scared.

    > So you are suggesting that just for using a
    > camera, he change his whole OS?

    Nope. He should dualboot.

    Duh.

    G'nite Wanda,

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  10. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    Pankajkumar Chauhan wrote:
    > writes:

    >>He already owns the computer, you dumb ****.

    > You are the f**ing moron.

    Why do you guys play with that rlm clown. He's just trolling.

  11. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:19:11 +0000, rlm wrote:

    >> He didn't say he was a "multimedia enthusiast." Didn't you
    >> notice that?

    > I naturally assumed that he was a multimedia enthusiast since he
    > was hooking a camera up to his computer. You're grasping.

    I hook a camera up to my computer, now and then. That doesn't make me a
    "multimedia enthusiast", you frigging ignorant moron. STFU and go away.

    Linux Registered User #327951

  12. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Ken Moffat wrote:
    > Pankajkumar Chauhan wrote:
    > > writes:

    > >>He already owns the computer, you dumb ****.

    > > You are the f**ing moron.

    > Why do you guys play with that rlm clown. He's just trolling.

    Trolling? I say something you don't agree with so I am trolling?

    You're pathetic.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  13. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    Dan Mahoney wrote:
    > Lew Pitcher wrote:
    >
    >> justlinux@sympatico.ca wrote:
    >> [nonsense as always]
    >>
    >> Sorry, rm, but I'm not interested in /your/ opinion.
    >>

    > Wise opinion, Lew! I cna't help with the USB issue - haven't played with
    > it much myself - but I find that the GIMP does everything Photoshop
    > does, and in many instances does it better. The folks who insist you've
    > got to run Windows to do image manipulation need to buy a clue.

    Fortunately, I don't need a Windows option. Both of my other digital cameras
    work very well under Linux, as does my other webcam. I've found that the
    software support under Linux is superiour to the MSWindows support for those
    devices, including Gimp for photo editing.

    While rm may "have a bee in his bonnet" about various subjects, I usually ignore
    him. In this case, I thought that I /should/ reply, just to indicate that his
    MSWindows-only suggestion was inappropriate, unnecessary, and unwelcome.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

  14. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > Fortunately, I don't need a Windows option. Both of my other
    > digital cameras work very well under Linux, as does my other
    > webcam. I've found that the software support under Linux is
    > superiour to the MSWindows support for those devices, including
    > Gimp for photo editing.

    That's preposterous.

    > While rm may "have a bee in his bonnet" about various subjects, I
    > usually ignore him. In this case, I thought that I /should/
    > reply, just to indicate that his MSWindows-only suggestion was
    > inappropriate, unnecessary, and unwelcome.

    My suggestion was appropriate, and, apparently necessary (although
    you don't seem to have got it), Whether the suggestion is welcome
    by you is wholly immaterial although those who don't believe that
    everything linux is good and everything windows is bad might find
    the suggestion welcome, appropriate and necessary.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  15. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:02:04 +0000, rl wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux.slackware Laz wrote:
    >> I only wanted to refute your claim that "a professional multimedia
    >> workstation requires windows." This clearly isn't true. For low to
    >> mid-level professional multimedia work, Macs are superior to Windows
    >> boxes, and for the very highest level of multimedia, which is that
    >> produced by Hollywood, it's Linux from one end to the other.

    > I was comparing windows to linux because the OP already has an intel
    > type architecture.

    You flatly stated that "a professional multimedia workstation requires
    windows." This isn't true no matter what the architecture is, unless
    Hollywood graphic artists are not professionals. They use Macs, Linux
    boxes (on Intel architecture), and I'm sure some of them are still using
    Windows.

    >> Windows has multimedia software for the very good reason that it can be
    >> extremely profitable to write and sell Windows software.

    > Windows has the _best_ multimedia software because more people choose to
    > use windows over all other operating systems put together.

    Almost all Windows users have it on their boxes because it was there when
    they bought the system. Most of them don't even know there is an
    alternative. They don't "choose" Windows. They think Windows IS the
    computer.

    This isn't as true as it once was, though. Things are changing.

    >> There are, after all, hundreds of millions of Windows machines. This
    >> doesn't mean that Windows is the most suitable platform for multimedia.

    > Um, yes, the best software does mean that Windows is the best platform.

    I didn't say anything about "best software". You seem to be getting
    confused. Are you really confused, or are you just one of those dishonest
    debaters who tries to twist things around to make yourself look right,
    hoping no one will notice?

    >> Now, please go and recommend Windows solutions to your fellow Windows
    >> users in newsgroups dedicated to Windows. People come to Linux
    >> newsgroups looking for Linux solutions.

    > I do have a win98 partition around here somewheres. But if you knew how
    > to read headers you would know that windows users are not my fellows.

    Why would I care about reading your headers? And most of all, why would I
    care whether or not you're using a Linux box to attempt to give yourself
    some legitimacy while you're trolling in Linux newsgroups?

    > have been using linux since about 1993. And I didn't know that I had to
    > have my head jammed up my ass to post to a linux group. Blind little
    > zealots like you are the worst enemies linux has.

    Once again, since you keep trying to gloss over it: the original poster
    asked how he could get his digital camera working in Linux. He didn't ask
    what the best multimedia software was, as you are desperately trying to
    make it seem. He wanted to know how to make it work in Linux. In Linux.
    Got it?

    He didn't ask about multimedia software. He didn't mention multimedia at
    all. But you saw it as an opportunity to crow about Windows multimedia
    software being the "best in the world, puts the rest to shame, blah blah
    blah".

    There is a "blind little zealot" in this thread, all right. But it isn't
    a Linux zealot, and it isn't me.

    --
    Laz

  16. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Laz wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:02:04 +0000, rl wrote:

    > You flatly stated that "a professional multimedia workstation
    > requires windows."

    Now you're being silly. Obviously a mac is not going to run
    windows, is it?

    > This isn't true no matter what the architecture is, unless
    > Hollywood graphic artists are not professionals.

    Graphics artists in Hollywood are not running multi-media
    workstations. The media is singular and quite dedicated and the
    prevalence of linux is due to its ability to cluster, not because
    of its suitability as a workstation.

    > Almost all Windows users have it on their boxes because it was
    > there when they bought the system. Most of them don't even know
    > there is an alternative. They don't "choose" Windows. They
    > think Windows IS the computer.

    And it's on their computers because of a vast microsoft conspiracy,
    right doofus?

    > This isn't as true as it once was, though. Things are changing.
    >

    > >> There are, after all, hundreds of millions of Windows
    > >> machines. This doesn't mean that Windows is the most suitable
    > >> platform for multimedia.

    > > Um, yes, the best software does mean that Windows is the best
    > > platform.

    > I didn't say anything about "best software". You seem to be
    > getting confused. Are you really confused, or are you just one
    > of those dishonest debaters who tries to twist things around to
    > make yourself look right, hoping no one will notice?

    No you were talking about the best platform. Part of the platform
    is the os.

    Duh.

    G'nite Martha,

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  17. Re: USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    This is getting boring, but there is one thing...

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:32:16 +0000, rl wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux.slackware Laz wrote:
    >
    >> Almost all Windows users have it on their boxes because it was there
    >> when they bought the system. Most of them don't even know there is an
    >> alternative. They don't "choose" Windows. They think Windows IS the
    >> computer.

    > And it's on their computers because of a vast microsoft conspiracy,
    > right doofus?

    No, it's on their computers because it was there when they bought their
    computers. I thought I said that.

    This is the second or third time you've talked about a "microsoft
    conspiracy." I ignored it before, but you seem insistent on bringing it
    up. Are you paranoid about it or something?

    > cordially, as always,

    No, you're not cordial. Ever, from what I've seen. On Usenet, you come
    off as an obnoxious twit, but that could be because you don't write very
    well and you don't realize how you sound. Maybe in real life you're a joy
    to be around and have lots of friends.

    --
    Laz

+ Reply to Thread