Drivers for a 56K U.S. Robotics External Hardware Modem. NEED HELP!!! - Questions

This is a discussion on Drivers for a 56K U.S. Robotics External Hardware Modem. NEED HELP!!! - Questions ; Hello all, I am trying to find drivers so I can install a U.S. Robotics 56K External Hardware Modem. It is model# 5686E. Does anyone know where I can find drivers for this modem?.... I am runnng Mandrake 9.1 and ...

  1. Drivers for a 56K U.S. Robotics External Hardware Modem. NEED HELP!!!

    Hello all,

    I am trying to find drivers so I can install a U.S. Robotics 56K
    External Hardware Modem. It is model# 5686E. Does anyone know where I
    can find drivers for this modem?.... I am runnng Mandrake 9.1 and
    another box is running Redhat 9. Is there anyone out there that knows
    where to get these drivers or has them, please let me know.

    Thanks.

    Tommy J.

  2. Re: Drivers for a 56K U.S. Robotics External Hardware Modem. NEED HELP!!!

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 16:03:45 -0500, T.J wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am trying to find drivers so I can install a U.S. Robotics 56K
    > External Hardware Modem. It is model# 5686E. Does anyone know where I
    > can find drivers for this modem?.... I am runnng Mandrake 9.1 and
    > another box is running Redhat 9. Is there anyone out there that knows
    > where to get these drivers or has them, please let me know.
    >

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Tommy J.

    You don't need any extra drivers. Hook it up to the serial port and use
    one of a variety of methods for configuring it. Both Mandrake and RH come
    with at least one gui configuration tool for ppp. (e.g., kde's kppp,
    gnome's "modem lights" panel applet, Redhat's internet-druid, etc.).

    If you are using a stock kernel, both Mandrake and RH should have any
    necessary modules prebuilt for you. You'll need to have the pppd package
    installed though.

    If you're stuck somewhere, you can checkout RH's info
    (https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/...started-guide/
    ch-ppp.html)or the PPP Howto (https://secure.linuxports.com/howto/ppp/ --
    which is a bit outdated due to the newer gui configuration tools that
    the howto doesn't address), as well as RH's FAQ
    (http://www.europe.redhat.com/documen...Q/PPP-FAQ.php3). Mandrake
    probably has plenty of documentation too, but I've never used mandrake, so
    I wouldn't know where to find them.

+ Reply to Thread