problem installing Linux Fedora core 1 - Questions

This is a discussion on problem installing Linux Fedora core 1 - Questions ; Hi, I am unable to install Fedora Core 1 on my system. I have tried at least 20 times, and each time I get a different failure. These failures include : 1) complete lockup of the Fedora GUI install (unable ...

  1. problem installing Linux Fedora core 1

    Hi,

    I am unable to install Fedora Core 1 on my system.
    I have tried at least 20 times, and each time I get a different failure.
    These failures include :

    1) complete lockup of the Fedora GUI install (unable to move mouse)
    2) sometimes 1) accompanied with a duo of scroll lock / caps lock
    lights. Googling for this indicates this is kernel panic
    3) In various parts of the install, the graphical
    installer reverts to text mode, and I get the following :

    Running anaconda, the Fedora Core system installer - please wait ...
    Probing for video card : ATI Radeon 8500
    Probing for monitor type : Unknown monitor
    Probing for mouse type : Generic - Wheel Mouse (PS/2)
    Attempting to start native X server
    Waiting for X server to start...log located in /tmp/X.log
    1...2...3...4...5.... X server started successfully
    install exited abnormally
    sending termination signals...done
    sending kill signals... done
    disabling swap...
    /tmp/hda6
    unmounting filesystems...
    /mnt/runtime done
    disabling /dev/loop0
    /proc/bus/usb done
    /proc done
    /dev/pts done
    /tmp/ramfs done
    /mnt/source done
    /mnt/sysimage boot done
    /mnt/sysimage/dev/pts done
    /mnt/sysimage/proc done
    /mnt/sysimage done
    you may safely reboot your system

    I have never installed Linux before and this is extremely frustrating.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    The hardware is as follows :

    Asus A7M-266D dual athlon motherboard (1010 bios)
    two Athlon MP 1500+ CPUs
    512 MB ECC PC2100 DDR RAM (Corsair, lifetime warranty)
    LSI21040 Ultra160 SCSI 64-bit PCI controller (multi-channel)
    WD 200 GB ATA100 HD (the mobo BIOS does see the full 200GB)
    Seagate 36 GB 15k rpm SCSI HD
    Yamaha CRW2200S EIDE CD-RW
    Pioneer SCSI DVD-ROM
    Microtech dual-slot PCMCIA to SCSI reader
    M-Audio Delta 66 PCI soundcard
    3Com 905 PCI NIC
    Asus PCI-USB2 USB 2.0 EHCI PCI card
    ATI Radeon 8500 AGP video
    Apple Cinema Display 22" with DVI-to-ADC adapter
    AZERTY PS2 keyboard
    Kensington Expert Mouse Pro PS2 trackball
    Roland SMPU64 MIDI interface
    1.44 MB floppy drive

    I also have two external SCSI devices; an HP Scanjet 4c on the UW SCSI
    bus, and an HP Surestore DAT40e on the LVD bus.

    The network connection is on a 100 Mbps home LAN, with a Sonicwall
    router/firewall to my DSL provider. The machine has a dedicated static,
    public IP.

    The above machine is not a new system; I have been using it for years
    primarily with OS/2, as a development system and on occasion Windows for
    some audio/video stuff too. At this point, I would like to add Linux to
    it. There is plenty of available unpartitioned space. So far all my
    efforts have failed and this is very frustrating.

    Here is what happens when I try to install Fedora Core 1 :
    1) put CD 1 in the Yamaha CRW
    2) select English language
    3) French keyboard
    4) Wheel Mouse (PS2). None of the choices offered seem to match my
    Kensington trackball, unfortunately.
    5) Monitor. The install detects it as "Unpprobed Monitor". I believe
    this is one of the main issues. The monitor is connected via DVI, and
    its native resolution is 1600x1024. There is nothing in any of the
    offered monitors that has that resolution. So I choose "LCD panel
    1280x1024" under "Generic LCD display" . I know the Apple panel can
    support 1280x1024 since I run that resolution in OS/2.
    6) I select "workstation". I need the development tools.
    7) automatically partition
    8) I select "keep all partitions and use existing free space"
    check the WD hard drive (it is the bootable device in the system),
    uncheck the Seagate SCSI HD, check "review partitions",
    9) I get : "warning : boot partition /boot may not meet booting
    constraints for your architecture. Creation of a boot disk is highly
    encouraged". At this point the partition table looks like this :

    Device Mount Type Size

    /dev/hda [WDC WD2000 JB-00DUA0)
    /dev/hda1 OS/2 boot manager 8
    /dev/hda2 ntfs 131054
    /dev/hda3 /boot ext3 102
    /dev/hda4 Extended 59616
    /dev/hda5 / ext3 58596
    /dev/hda6 swap 1020

    /dev/sda (SEAGATE ST336752LC)
    Free Free space 8566
    /dev/sda1 Extended 26435
    /dev/sda5 NTFS/HPFS 6001
    /dev/sda6 vfat 2000
    /dev/sda7 Foreign 18434

    10) I enter the IP/netmask/DNS/hostname for the 3 Com NIC
    11) No firewall , since I have a hardware firewall/router
    12) select English
    13) Pacific time zone
    14) select root pw
    15) install default software packages
    16) If it gets this far, it will hang ...

    [update]

    I have now pulled a ton of hardware out of the system to try to isolate
    where things lie.

    I have kept it down to :
    - The A7M-266D motherboard with both Atlon MP CPUs
    - the 512 MB RAM
    - the WD 200 GB hard drive
    - the Yamaha IDE CDRW
    - the 3 Com NIC
    - the PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    - the 1.44 MB floppy drive
    - the Apple monitor

    I still am unable to install.
    I have also tried dedicating the WD 200 GB hard drive to linux; trying
    both filling the entire disk or manually partitioning below the 128 GB
    threshold (that I don't think my system is really subject to anyway ...).

    Nothing worked so far - every single Fedora install has failed with the
    same symptoms as describe above.

    And yes I did check the media, and the Fedora ISOs md5sum, and they
    pass. I'm really lost as to what's wrong. It may point to a hardware
    problem, but the hardware works fine with other OSes. And OS/2 isn't
    particularly easy to get working with modern hardware; but it runs fine
    on this dual Athlon.

    Any help is appreciated to try get Linux on this machine.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: problem installing Linux Fedora core 1

    Do you have checked that device: Yamaha CRW2200S EIDE CD-RW?

+ Reply to Thread