Small linux system - Questions

This is a discussion on Small linux system - Questions ; On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:32:43 +1300, pete wrote: > I've still got my Microcom 28.8 simply cos the invoice shows the thing > cost $900 > and I just can't drop that much in the bin :-( Good grief! ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: Small linux system

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:32:43 +1300, pete wrote:

    > I've still got my Microcom 28.8 simply cos the invoice shows the thing
    > cost $900
    > and I just can't drop that much in the bin :-(

    Good grief! $900 for a modem???

    Lennier

  2. Re: Small linux system

    "Lennier" wrote in message
    newsan.2003.12.27.12.00.52.858557@TRACKER...
    > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:32:43 +1300, pete wrote:
    >
    > > I've still got my Microcom 28.8 simply cos the invoice shows the thing
    > > cost $900
    > > and I just can't drop that much in the bin :-(

    > Good grief! $900 for a modem???
    >
    > Lennier

    Yup. It was absolutely state-of-the-art at the time, and along with a
    486-SX25 AST laptop (About$6k IIRC) and PC Anywhere for DOS it was intended
    to allow remote administration of an AS400 system. Sadly the idea was too
    advanced for the technology of the day (The laptop was Win3.11) and we could
    make them connect but do little else. Things are so easy these days...
    I also have an invoice from a computer outlet (used to be at top of Willis
    St, in the old Cumberland building, its a hotel now) for 3 x 5 1/4
    diskettes (thats three diskettes, not three boxes) at $10 each.
    And finally, staff purchase price at IBM used to be about the same as dealer
    purchase price. Staff price for a 286 AT, 1 meg ram, 10 meg HDD , 5 1/4
    floppy and a green screen was $17,000. No I didn't buy one.

    Prices are definitely better now

  3. Re: Small linux system

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:17:05 +1300, Mainlander wrote:

    > I installed Mozilla on my Win95 computer - then found I could not browse
    > any websites with Java because Sun no longer offers a JVM that can run on
    > less than 98.

    Try the Blackdown.org JVM

  4. Re: Small linux system

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:00:55 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > Good grief! $900 for a modem???

    My ZyXEL 1496S 14k4 cost twice that amount.

    .... in 1992...

  5. Re: Small linux system

    "T.N.O." wrote in message

    >>> I'll see if I can find the MS JVM for him to use.

    > Is it from prior to them saying this "Sun no longer offers a JVM that
    > can run on less than 98."

    http://newt.quantumsi.com/pm/support/jvm_issues.html states that it's for
    the earlier win95 as well.

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  6. Re: Small linux system

    pete wrote:
    > Yup. It was absolutely state-of-the-art at the time, and along with a
    > 486-SX25 AST laptop (About$6k IIRC) and PC Anywhere for DOS it was intended
    > to allow remote administration of an AS400 system. Sadly the idea was too
    > advanced for the technology of the day (The laptop was Win3.11) and we could
    > make them connect but do little else. Things are so easy these days...
    > I also have an invoice from a computer outlet (used to be at top of Willis
    > St, in the old Cumberland building, its a hotel now) for 3 x 5 1/4
    > diskettes (thats three diskettes, not three boxes) at $10 each.
    > And finally, staff purchase price at IBM used to be about the same as dealer
    > purchase price. Staff price for a 286 AT, 1 meg ram, 10 meg HDD , 5 1/4
    > floppy and a green screen was $17,000. No I didn't buy one.
    > Prices are definitely better now

    My parents have an invoice for $16500 for an 8086 with an 8MB SCSI
    Hdd... the thing still works, but I dont know what to do with it.
    Green Screen Packman is fun but kinda slow.

  7. Re: Small linux system

    pete wrote:
    > "ynotssor" <"ynotssor"> wrote in message
    >> A person may very well be using a V.90 modem that is incapable of
    >> negotiating a faster transfer rate than 28.8 Kbps due to distance
    >> from the telecom's Central Office (CO) switching equipment, or the
    >> quality of the intervening connections and physical lines.
    >>

    > I've still got my Microcom 28.8 simply cos the invoice shows the
    > thing cost $900
    > and I just can't drop that much in the bin :-(

    Heh. My external Dynalink 14.4 cost me $500, I couldn't afford a 28.8 at the
    time as it was around $900. I still have the modem, don't know why, haven't
    used it in 8 years. Probably for the same reason you have yours, too much
    money at the time to just biff it. I've 'misplaced' the power-pack for it
    though. I haven't owned an external modem since and I miss all those LFLs
    (little flashing lights).
    --
    ~misfit~

  8. Re: Small linux system

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:18:31 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I've 'misplaced' the power-pack for it
    > though.

    Pretty much any 9-12VAC plugpack will do.

  9. Re: Small linux system

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:06:07 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > My parents have an invoice for $16500 for an 8086 with an 8MB SCSI Hdd...
    > the thing still works, but I dont know what to do with it. Green Screen
    > Packman is fun but kinda slow.

    I'm curious... Did they consider that they had value for money?

    Lennier

  10. Re: Small linux system

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:14:20 +0100, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    >> Good grief! $900 for a modem???

    > My ZyXEL 1496S 14k4 cost twice that amount.
    >
    > ... in 1992...

    A coupla years ago I bought a 56k external modem and paid about $200 for
    it.

    I thought it was expensive at the time...

    Lennier

  11. Re: Small linux system

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:18:31 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I haven't owned an external modem since and I
    > miss all those LFLs (little flashing lights).

    I own and use two external modems.

    One (56k) for dialup and the other one (33k6) as a part of my voicemail
    system.

    Lennier

    I don't use internal modems - I don't want the performance hit that they
    give.

    Lennier

  12. Re: Small linux system

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:18:31 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't owned an external modem since and I
    >> miss all those LFLs (little flashing lights).

    > I own and use two external modems.
    >
    > One (56k) for dialup and the other one (33k6) as a part of my
    > voicemail system.
    >
    > I don't use internal modems - I don't want the performance hit that
    > they give.

    About time you replaced that 486 then isn't it. ;-)

    I don't notice any performance hit on my XP Athlon running at 2.1GHz with a
    winmodem.
    --
    ~misfit~

  13. Re: Small linux system

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:53:54 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> I don't use internal modems - I don't want the performance hit that they
    >> give.

    > About time you replaced that 486 then isn't it. ;-)

    Yeah yeah...

    > I don't notice any performance hit on my XP Athlon running at 2.1GHz with
    > a winmodem.

    Well, I've got my modem attached to a p120 - to my network
    gateway/router/firewall, and I don't think it should have to deal with the
    logistics of handling the modulation/demodulation business.

    My other modem is used as a part of my voicemail system.

    Lennier

  14. Re: Small linux system

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:53:54 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>> I don't use internal modems - I don't want the performance hit that
    >>> they give.

    >> About time you replaced that 486 then isn't it. ;-)

    > Yeah yeah...

    >> I don't notice any performance hit on my XP Athlon running at 2.1GHz
    >> with a winmodem.

    > Well, I've got my modem attached to a p120 - to my network
    > gateway/router/firewall, and I don't think it should have to deal
    > with the logistics of handling the modulation/demodulation business.
    >
    > My other modem is used as a part of my voicemail system.

    Furry muff.
    --
    ~misfit~

  15. Re: Small linux system

    In article ,
    "pete" wrote:

    >I've still got my Microcom 28.8 simply cos the invoice shows the thing cost
    >$900 and I just can't drop that much in the bin :-(

    Why not? As I recall, the IRD allows 30% straight-line depreciation per
    year on computer equipment. So if that thing is more than 3 years old,
    it's worth essentially nothing.

    You _have_ been deducting depreciation for it off your tax, haven't
    you...?

  16. Re: Small linux system

    "Lawrence DčOliveiro" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "pete" wrote:
    >
    > >I've still got my Microcom 28.8 simply cos the invoice shows the thing

    cost
    > >$900 and I just can't drop that much in the bin :-(

    > Why not? As I recall, the IRD allows 30% straight-line depreciation per
    > year on computer equipment. So if that thing is more than 3 years old,
    > it's worth essentially nothing.
    >
    > You _have_ been deducting depreciation for it off your tax, haven't
    > you...?

    private (non business) user doesn't get that option.

  17. Re: Small linux system

    Lennier wrote in
    newsan.2003.12.26.13.50.49.661738@TRACKER:

    > Pentium 100??
    >
    > Too slow to effectively run KDE or Gnome - you'd be waiting for ages
    > all the time.

    I use a Pentium 133, running KDE and Gnome (occasionally). The wm I
    usually use on that system, though, is fvwm2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2